The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LOGIC 8 HERE IT IS!!!!
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

just browsed the manual and it looks like take grouping and editing is functional now. this may be enough for me to get the new version.
thumbsup
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Anybody know how many levels of 'undo' are supported?
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
I don't think there's a limitation. It's in the 1000s-range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg View Post

1)strip silence window is still not zoomable. very little control over what you see when stripping.
Sure, there's no development there. Let's hope it's a sign of Apple working on some major improvements in the Beat Detective area.

I can see where the weekend warrior thing coming from. In the early days of native audio (within Logic) there were Logic evangelists who said that now people didn't need Pro Tools anymore - even if the implementation was very buggy, unstable and the audio signal was full of pops and clicks. It took quite a while before audio was usable in Logic, and Logic is still struggling a little with the amateur label among people who haven't checked out what happened with Logic (and CPU power) the last years.

The same thing happened with Pro Tools: the early versions were not usable/stable at all, and diehard tape users just gave us early PT users a weird look when we said that in the not too distant future, people may not need tape (or mixers) at all.

Regarding DP - it looks like it has gone through a major overhaul over the last years. I haven't really checked it out for a long time, but if DP is doing integrated, graphical pitch shifting in Arrange, has a better solution in the monitoring department (with Motu interfaces), and have some sort of Beat Detective solution (Beat Detection in DP 4.5), Apple still have some work to do.
Old 17th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
in 7 it was 10,000, I don't imagine that has changed. I'll know for sure when my copy of 8 gets here this week.
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

There have been a few comments re: whether or not L8 will have bugs etc.

I don't know if it will or won't but I do know of some techs at Apogee who have been using the software for close to 6 months now. It's possible that while they were sorting the Apple/Apogee relationship they may have given it a pretty good workout, thus relieving the general public of the honour(!) of beta testing.
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

bits & bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orren View Post
There is so much FUD about the "64-bit myth" it would be funny if it wasn't so damn frustrating. It is mind boggling how intelligent people who generally do a fair amount of research buy into this "a 64-bit application is better...because it's more bits..."

Please trust me that you do not want Logic to be a 100% 64-bit application:
a) by having to fill 64-bit memory addresses for the GUI instead of 32-bit, the GUI would run at half-speed.

b) by having to fill 64-bit memory addresses for each audio track, it would cut your track count in half.

c) every single one of your third party plug-ins would need to be rewritten to pass 64-bits to the host application. This means, in practical terms, the same insanity as accompanied the transition to universal binary plug-ins...which in some cases, still isn't finished!

On the other hand, there are two places in which you do want 64-bit math to be used:
1) You want the sampler (EXS24mkII) to be able to access 64-bit memory addresses, so you can access over 4GB RAM for large sample libraries.

2) You want the audio engine to use 64-bit precision math where it would be sonically beneficial.

Guess what?
1) The audio engine of the EXSmkII can access the 64-bit memory address space. This means that in Logic 8, you can access more than 4GB of RAM if your computer is loaded with 8GB or more RAM. Moreover, I have been told that 3rd parties who choose to compile their AU sample players with separate audio engines that can access the 64-bit memory address space can do the same thing. In other words, it would be possible for Native Instruments to compile an AU of Kontakt that could also access more than 4GB of RAM inside Logic 8. Now, nobody has done this yet, and I'm sure it's a very complicated rewrite. But it can be done. And it can be done.

2) The audio engine of Logic 8 does use 64-bit precision where it would be sonically beneficial.

This is why the Apple website says in the tech specs that Logic 8 is "64-bit where appropriate." Logic is a hybrid 32-bit app with 64-bit audio engine "components" that give the program the best of both worlds.

When you put aside the marketing hype, that's all the 64-bit that counts, and will improve your music and music making.

Orren
Excellent and informative post
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
In order to run TDM only plug-ins and Logic only plug-ins in the same session.
Yes I realize that, I have used TDM plugs in logic before and its a cool option if you already own it.

The point in my last post was that a couple of years ago, it was necessary to get high track count and low latency from logic, but not any more it seems.

Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
5) i saw no real beat detective type facility. too bad.

Audio to Score has been in Logic for years now... check it out, not only does it "beat detect" it also pitch detects as (well maybe not so) well..

it's perfect for transient detecting a drum part then spitting out a perfectly timed midi section for use in a sampler for drum replacing.
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

1 little niggle when you hit star key to record it starts to record(obviously)but when you press it again nothing happens really annoying !!it used to punch you in again ,so if you make a mistake you have to stop it delete the file and start again ,it's slowed me down today can tell you !anybody got a solution ??
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yahoo! Mine turned up...
Oh Bollox...
OK. It's going back.. I got the French Version.....
I assumed as I am registered on their site as being English, I would have got the English version, but no...
AARRRGHHHH! Replacement wednesday hopefully...
Old 17th September 2007
Gear Addict

I wonder if apple figured out how to open sessions done on a native system in Logic in a system using PT HD hardware. I always found this to be near impossible since the HD hardware needs to open Logics instruments tracks vid DTDM and not Core Audio or such.
Once you change the driver of the Instrument track the instrument and all the settings go bye bye.
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
I can see where the weekend warrior thing coming from. In the early days of native audio (within Logic) there were Logic evangelists who said that now people didn't need Pro Tools anymore - even if the implementation was very buggy, unstable and the audio signal was full of pops and clicks. It took quite a while before audio was usable in Logic, and Logic is still struggling a little with the amateur label among people who haven't checked out what happened with Logic (and CPU power) the last years.
What you seems to have missed is that alot of people used logic with TDM back when pro tools didn´t have any midi. Many of these people continued doing so even after PT got midi. Unlike other daws logic always had dae/tdm support and was used heavily.

Tagging the weekend warrior label to logic without any reagards of in which context it is used is a display of ignorance, thats it.
Old 17th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Yahoo! Mine turned up...
Oh Bollox...
OK. It's going back.. I got the French Version.....
I assumed as I am registered on their site as being English, I would have got the English version, but no...
AARRRGHHHH! Replacement wednesday hopefully...
Don't send it back yet. Log in under the account you used to install it. Select Logic Pro (Applications folder) in the Finder, press Apple-I, below the large Logic icon (should be labeled 'Overview', dunno for sure, I'm running a german version) there is an area where you can select/deselect languages. Uncheck every language but english (or japanese if you'd prefer that ;-) and you should be fine.
Cheers
Chris
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris5s View Post
Don't send it back yet. Log in under the account you used to install it. Select Logic Pro (Applications folder) in the Finder, press Apple-I, below the large Logic icon (should be labeled 'Overview', dunno for sure, I'm running a german version) there is an area where you can select/deselect languages. Uncheck every language but english (or japanese if you'd prefer that ;-) and you should be fine.
Cheers
Chris
Nah it's nice to have all the docs in English.

David - same thing happened to me btw. What I did was called Applestore and freaked (I asked them 5 times to make sure it was English) and then said I had seen it locally and this was a waste of time as they wanted me to send it back etc for swapping. Despite having box delivered today - I didn't open it, cancelled with Apple so the delivery guys will show up to pick it up as a RMA, I get full refund. Meanwhile I buggered off to a local shop and bought it in English and I'm still installing it now a few hours later.
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris5s View Post
Cheers
Chris
Already arranged to swap. They will deliver the new version either tomorrow or Wednesday and collect the other.
Yes, it's the manuals which is the issue. I just figured I would rather wait 2 days than have to rely on an English pdf manual. My French is pretty good, but these are some BIG manuals!
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifier View Post
Nah it's nice to have all the docs in English.

David - same thing happened to me btw. What I did was called Applestore and freaked (I asked them 5 times to make sure it was English) and then said I had seen it locally and this was a waste of time as they wanted me to send it back etc for swapping. Despite having box delivered today - I didn't open it, cancelled with Apple so the delivery guys will show up to pick it up as a RMA, I get full refund. Meanwhile I buggered off to a local shop and bought it in English and I'm still installing it now a few hours later.
I must admit, Apple were great on the phone.
Sorry to hear it. Suggested I should order software on the phone in the future as then I can specify, but he got the order in this evening so it might be delivered tomorrow. Said the collection of the French one would be easy and no hurry on that (as in they don't need that back before shipping the English version) and sorted it all rather well.
Not bad.
Anyway, another 24 hours isn't so bad. I can make a clean sweep of my system and clean up some drives ready for the big day
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Actually yea Apple were pretty good, I was just after some free shutup ipods, but no joy..
Old 17th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
Ok, reading through the manual, looks like they really listened to the users regarding the Environment.. its still there for all of the cool midi routing (which I love), but its not neccessary to use for a lot of the audio tasks that always had new users chasing their tails..

From the manual:

"It is not essential to know about - or even open - the Environment window in order to make music with the instruments of Logic Pro or your external MIDI sound generators and keyboards.

When you create new instrument or external MIDI tracks, Logic Pro automatically generates Mixer channels, and will also create and configure any Environment objects that are needed for basic input and output."

So they did what I hoped they would all along.. keep the power, flexibility, and customizibility that make Logic unique and powerful.. while making mundane tasks (like setting up a multi channel / multi timberal VI) much easier to do.
But I wonder if you can bounce or record midi as audio? I ask as using plug ins and samplers (midi) and then combining on the fly in audio for tweaked sound design.
Old 17th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Looking at the TDM manual it says:

"RTAS Plug-ins
Please note that RTAS plug-ins can not be used in Logic Pro 8—only Audio Unit, TDM,
and native Logic Pro plug-ins are supported.
If you currently own any RTAS plug-ins, you should install the Audio Unit equivalents
for use in Logic Pro. Most plug-ins are available in several formats.
If no Audio Unit version is available on your RTAS plug-in installation CDs, please visit
the websites of the plug-in manufacturers."

Ah well.

ESB is still there as well, in all its clunky goodness.
So would there be a way for a MBP user to get DIGI strike to work in Logic?
Any sort of work around, translator, convertor (RTAS to AU), can't remember the co. name.

Thanks.
Old 17th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanojohn View Post
I got it this morning... it's not THAT different from 7 internally... visually it's got a pretty makeover.

It's got the nice features from PT, like the TC/E tool, but that tool still uses the logic time stretching algorithm, and doesn't allow stretches more than 50%...

I haven't been able to find any sensitivity control for the tab to transient, but it's certainly nice to have it.

It came with all of the GB jam packs, and takes up a good 36Gb ish... it's massive.

It opens all of my Logic 7 sessions so far, and haven't had any real problems.

The only new plugin I've messed with so far is the tap delay, it's certainly neat, but nothing to write home about. The sample accurate editing in the arrange window is great though...
Curious to kno wabout the sampler and the strings sounds - - how good, realistic? Round Robin?

Also, how good is the drum machine? Workable? Any changes? Heard in 7 it was a pain in the behind.

Wondering if they (drum module) made any changes, one keyboard key sets off a loop, etc, etc.

Thanks
Old 17th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Serial killer comes to mind
Yankees fan, NYY school education system.

Just kidding.
hehhehhehhehhehhehheh
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox View Post
Curious to kno wabout the sampler and the strings sounds - - how good, realistic? Round Robin?
After using Logic for all my Samplecell strings (sinde the death of SofSamplecell years ago). The strings in EXS are pretty good but Structure strings sound a lot better IMO.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

i am guessing that the dolby pro is only for rendering and it can not output it?
That would make it so simple if I could find a way to shoot the datastream down the optical pipe to the airport card when using the notebook via wireless at home.

The other thing I wish they had was a x fader like in ableton live.

Those are the two features I think could take logic to the next level for me.
Old 18th September 2007
JPZ
Lives for gear

4. You would have to find someone who mixes in Logic NATIVE and Pro Tools HD and to honest, I don't know anyone who does that.
The last time I tried a Native mix on Logic I gave up after the first hour and went back to Pro Tools HD.

I switch between Logic and HD. Finished a record in July on HD, one in August in Logic. Sounded better to me in Logic, the width is better and the Apogee interface was much better than 192's. More people are going to be mixing in Logic. To infer that it is not capable of doing professional work in is extremely misguided.
Old 18th September 2007

I mix natively in Logic, combined with a good selection of outboard gear.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

I mix in Logic. Logic is starting to draw the attention of some pretty impressive producers I've had the privilege to talk to, some have been switching for their own work, but keeping pro tools "out front" so as to not scare off clients. That's not a knock on pro tools, it's just to say that pro tools ain't the only game in town.
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
It's good to see you back on the forum, I missed the give and take of DP vs. PT.

I agree your statement above, I think Digidesign charges for minor things that other companies give out for free.
IMO, one of those immensely petty things is charging $20 for the MP3 codec.
That's just not right and it gives the air off of nickel and diming the client base.
Oh hat fun I would have if I ran Digidesign for just one day....
The list of Digi transgressions against their client base is long indeed. However I have a feeling with Logic 8 now shipping, that list is gonna get shorter. So this release is really good news for Logic fans AND PT fans.

Tony, while you make some good points, the writing is on the wall. Native is the future. It dosen't mean that PT is going to be gone next year or even five years from now, but they certainly won't be the only and/or dominant solution for hi end audio recording, editing and mixing. That's a good thing IMHO.

For Digi I have two words that they better be throwing around with liberty and frequency at their internal strategy meetings, DIVERSIFY and ADAPT. Gone are the days of charging $20 for a friggin mp3 codec, when a customer has just dropped 15 to 20 g on an HD system. tutt

Buying M audio was one of the best moves they could have made. The next thing they will need to do is stop this silly teaser stripped down PT LE bs. LE needs to be at least 64tracks with PDC. Last but not least they are gonna have to come up with a better solution than their DSP cards. I understand that they make money on these cards and it may be their bread and butter but right now Intel is testing their 16 core configurations which will probably hit the market next year. it's going be awfully hard to justify buying A PCI DSP card when there is all this untapped power sitting right there in your computer.

If Digi is gonna survive and not go the way of Quantegy and studer etc they too will go native.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

the consolidated arrange window is very similar to dp's consolidated window. also to the user that commented that logic has a functionality on par with beat detective must not be using beat detective in the same way i do. i like beat detective for tightening up multi track drums. there is no substitute as of yet.

just ordered my upgrade.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianb007 View Post

If Digi is gonna survive and not go the way of Quantegy and studer etc they too will go native.
Digi's only route as far as i can can see , is to create a PCIe card that takes care of latency for I/O's , so you can use them for your Digi or other interfaces and get rid of their accel card architecture and go native for plug's, keep their RTAS format .... this way existing users still get what they like about P.Tools but have alot more power to work with .

This is a win situation for them and their client base , and i'm sure their users would love to pay half price for the plug's instead of double to everybody else for the same plugs ..

The system could go for $1500, for the DAW and card with 16in and outs , then you have a choice to buy a Digi interface or a third party interface by Lynx or Apogee or whaterever company decides to make a compatible connector ...
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

does anyone know why hitting return while recording deletes the take? i thought this was a bug on my logic 7 system, but the same action happened in 8 at the apple store. is return defaulted to delete recording?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search