The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LOGIC 8 HERE IT IS!!!!
Old 12th September 2007
  #31
Gear Nut
 

As another logic and Pro Tools user I personally couldn't be happier with this release, it looks great! After reading the specs they seem to have everything I wanted and some surprises. The only thing I'm not sure about yet, and that I've also heard others request, is the ability to import session data like in Pro Tools. If they can do this, I can't see me firing up Pro Tools for my own benefit in the near future. Great job Apple!
Old 12th September 2007
  #32
Deleted bd1be4f
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfx View Post
welcome to GS where products are announced , reviewed , dissed and panned before it even hits the streets.

What do the dissenters want? Blood?

If you dont use/like Logic then nothing is going to make you like it now.

Same for PT/Nuendo/Cubase etc.

Lets face facts.

nothing is ever perfect , software will always have flaws/bugs

users will always moan/bitch/whine.

Either get used to being let down or take up a different hobby/job

The world is far from perfect get over it.

I use both logic and PT and have been happily making and releasing music using these flawed applications for 10 years.

work around the flaws and make some music instead of constantly whining about how things could be better.


I truly dont understand this attitude displayed towards products from people around here.

If you dont like it , dont use it! simple , be it logic or otherwise. I dont like McDonalds but do I stand outside the local one telling people how much it sucks? No.. I dont I get on with my life and leave those that choose to shop there to do so in peace and quiet!

So much dam negativity on forums like this.

</rant>

G
Hey G,

What is your workflow like using both Logic and PT? Do you use Logic mainly for tracking/composing and PT for mixing, or some other workflow?
Old 12th September 2007
  #33
Gear Head
 
miet's Avatar
 

i take it back, new plugs:

Apple - Logic Studio - Studio Effects
Old 12th September 2007
  #34
Lives for gear
 
clonewar's Avatar
 

Yes! The Environment and screensets are still in there.. so much for the bogus rumors..
Old 12th September 2007
  #35
Lives for gear
 
noiseflaw's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
Yes! The Environment and screensets are still in there.. so much for the bogus rumors..
Does that mean I can still utilise my 2 screen set up and have the mixer on a seperate screen from my arrange page?....

Please let it be so.
Old 12th September 2007
  #36
Lives for gear
 

zboy ........

I use logic for composing and midi.

I use PT for recording 'bands' and heavily audio based projects.

Once a composition has reached a certain stage I will convert to OMF and load into PTHD where I will mix and edit further.

This is just what works for me.

I find heavy midi based working inside PT painful and I find Logic painful for heavy audio editing so this way of working for me personally is the nicest and easiest way to get what is for me the best of both worlds.

The new audio editing and take handling in logic however may re-address this ! Who knows but the lack of PDC for TDM I suspect will continue to be a problem for me and means mixing will continue to take place in PT. There is no mention of them changing this aspect of DAE mode in Logic. Im hoping its been addressed.

But my instinct tells me otherwise but I will wait and see before I pan it !

Cheers

G
Old 12th September 2007
  #37
Gear Head
 
miet's Avatar
 

"Five carefully modulated circuits for Compressor and Surround Compressor simulate the world’s most respected vintage hardwarehardware."

oohhhhh
Old 12th September 2007
  #38
Lives for gear
 
toolstudio's Avatar
 

yeeaah... and 499 $, that made my day.

I really hope it's possible to punch in/out on the fly, like I could in DigitalPerformer and ProTools

Or could that be done in Pro7 and I can't figure out how. It always interupts the playback.



wolfgang
Old 12th September 2007
  #39
Gear Head
 
miet's Avatar
 

The exs mapping window has been sorted...
Old 12th September 2007
  #40
Lives for gear
 
Gear Tramp's Avatar
 

hahaha!

all of a sudden!

now tell me this doesn't interface like Garageband.

Old 12th September 2007
  #41
Deleted bd1be4f
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfx View Post
zboy ........

I use logic for composing and midi.

I use PT for recording 'bands' and heavily audio based projects.

Once a composition has reached a certain stage I will convert to OMF and load into PTHD where I will mix and edit further.

This is just what works for me.

I find heavy midi based working inside PT painful and I find Logic painful for heavy audio editing so this way of working for me personally is the nicest and easiest way to get what is for me the best of both worlds.

The new audio editing and take handling in logic however may re-address this ! Who knows but the lack of PDC for TDM I suspect will continue to be a problem for me and means mixing will continue to take place in PT. There is no mention of them changing this aspect of DAE mode in Logic. Im hoping its been addressed.

But my instinct tells me otherwise but I will wait and see before I pan it !

Cheers

G
Cool, thanks.
Old 12th September 2007
  #42
Gear Maniac
 

HOLY CRAP!
MAIN STAGE???????
This alone makes the wait worth it. I'm officially in love with Apple!!!

Old 12th September 2007
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Matthew Murray's Avatar
 

Holy ****, is this ever exciting.

Love the look of everything, but PLEASE tell me somebody has seen some mention of a cubase-like outboard hardware pinging/bussing feature. Something that will take care of latency and automatically allow us to use our outboard properly? PLEASE??! I can't find mention of it anywhere. Somebody tell me after all this time they've gotten smart?
Old 12th September 2007
  #44
Lives for gear
 
entropy's Avatar


looks kick arse to me.... pretty much what i'd hoped for. No dongle, sample accurate & better arrange window. The comping looks cool and I also like the look of the file compressor built in.

No new plugs. Who gives a crap! That was never the issue with Logic for me. You want more plugs? Buy 'em, the built ins have always been okay, no great ('cept Space Des) but more than useable.

Not sure about some of the previous comments? Bad midi timing? Your smoking crack aren't you? I'd suggest Logic ain't your problem....

There's no pleasing some people huh?
Old 12th September 2007
  #45
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Tramp View Post
hahaha!

all of a sudden!

now tell me this doesn't interface like Garageband.

haha you're right! It's almost like they were designed by the very same company! heh In all honesty though I'm actually liking what I see so far. It reminds much more of Aperture than garageband, which I think has one of the best and fastest GUI's I've ever used.
Old 12th September 2007
  #46
Lives for gear
 
Matthew Murray's Avatar
 

I'm going to answer my own question. In the tech specs, under professional mixing and automation:

• Direct insert patching of external hardware instruments and effects

I'm going to see what I can do about having Steve Jobs' baby.

Provided the new external hardware patching works latency wise, they just singlehandedly created the "perfect solution" for our new studio, just as we're getting ready to open the doors.

And to the last poster -- there ARE a few new effects. Check out the Delay Designer! And it looks like there might be a few others too.
Old 12th September 2007
  #47
Lives for gear
 
H-Rezz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murray View Post
Holy ****, is this ever exciting.

Love the look of everything, but PLEASE tell me somebody has seen some mention of a cubase-like outboard hardware pinging/bussing feature. Something that will take care of latency and automatically allow us to use our outboard properly? PLEASE??! I can't find mention of it anywhere. Somebody tell me after all this time they've gotten smart?
Go to specs , Apple hasn't missed a thing on this update right down to being able to record busses ...

Direct insert patching of external hardware instruments and effects

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/logicpro/specs.html
Old 12th September 2007
  #48
Gear Nut
 
Seth's Avatar
 

Wow, this sure has been a rather HUGE last few months for Apple. It looks like they've been paying attention to some user requests on this one. $200 to upgrade from Logic Pro? Beautiful.
Old 12th September 2007
  #49
Lives for gear
 

Awesome!
Old 12th September 2007
  #50
Lives for gear
 

Looks like Space Designer is finally going to give Altiverb a run for it's money - IF the new impulses are any good!

P.S., Curious... does Logic have a dither plug?
Old 12th September 2007
  #51
Gear Addict
 
yoink's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Digi just went back to sleep.

In fact, the main disruption may be a crippling price war within the alternative DAW market...
Long time Logic user. But I have to agree for the most part with peeder.

While I disagree and think it might eat deeply into PT LE sales which won't have them sleeping, on the other hand it's not the update everyone was looking for.

A couple of reasons:

It alienates (slightly) existing customers who's software value dropped in half. Now I understand why. The delay was so long and Logic had "appeared" so far behind that they need to catch up quickly. (It didn't actually fall behind, there were just a few quirks.) Aggressive pricing will make it what people look to first on Mac if you're not already a PT HD user. Let's face it, less expensive is better for everyone.

They still need a new sampler, however, at this price point you can afford to go buy a decent third-party one, in fact, you can afford to buy a lot of third party plugs.



However, the most in-demand features were added:

1. Sample accurate editing in the arrange window.

2. Jump to transient (I don't think it's tab but...)

3. Visual time-stretching

4. Multi-take comping

The core was allegedly re-written however, so hopefully the best feature will simply be how well it runs on older machines, or how well it takes advantage of the new Mac Pros. It will remain to be seen how the little features (which are often most important) are doing.

At $200 to upgrade though, it's a no brainer. I mean to put it in perspective, they are charging nearly $300 less for that whole package than URS is charging for Channel Strip Pro and $1100 less than I paid for the Sonnox Native Bundle.

A deal it certainly is and the price war will ensue.
Old 12th September 2007
  #52
Gear Addict
 
yoink's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings View Post
Looks like Space Designer is finally going to give Altiverb a run for it's money - IF the new impulses are any good!

P.S., Curious... does Logic have a dither plug?
No plugin.

It does have POW-r 1,2,3 that can be applied (very last thing) when you export / bounce your project to stereo/surround wave/aiff etc..

Last edited by yoink; 12th September 2007 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 12th September 2007
  #53
Lives for gear
 

i have to admit...i am impressed!!!!!!

looks like most of the lack of features and functionality that i have hated about logic over the years have been addressed. at a 199 upgrade as much as i love my pt hd rig i have to do this!!!!

ej
Old 12th September 2007
  #54
Lives for gear
 
stag's Avatar
 

Congrats, boys! It looks really interesting.
For the price Macs and L8, i guess a lot of people will be tempted. That migth be a good thing... or else heh

BTW has L8 stacked recording?
Old 12th September 2007
  #55
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink View Post
It does have POW-r 1,2,3 that can be applied (very last thing) when you export / bounce your project to stereo/surround wave/aiff etc..
What is POW-r?



Another item: I noticed you can export Dolby AC-3 surround files now!
Old 12th September 2007
  #56
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings View Post
What is POW-r?
Dithering algorithm(s).
Old 12th September 2007
  #57
Gear Nut
 
Blatboy's Avatar
 

Helllz yeah. I'm stoked. I ordered it... will be in next week.

Specs that I saw didn't mention internal HD video compatibility, which wasn't in 7... I have a steady project that uses HD video. It's been a drag (literally) so I hope you can use HD video...

it comes with ALL the original apple loop sets. NICE.

When I get it, I'll be sure to post some complaints for ya... heh heh

Doesn't seem they touched any of the scoring features... maybe that's a good thing?
Old 12th September 2007
  #58
Mindreader
 
BevvyB's Avatar
 

To buy Logic Pro 7 today in the UK Apple store costs 700 quid

600 bucks = 300 quid

If a new copy of Logic 8 costs anywhere near 300 quid that is a huge deal

And that's before you take into account the whole thing has been totally overahauled
Old 12th September 2007
  #59
Gear Addict
 
yoink's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Dithering algorithm(s).
Very respected dithering algorithms.
Old 12th September 2007
  #60
Here for the gear
 

Academic Upgrade??

Does anyone know if apple is allowing upgrades from Logic Pro 7 academic users?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Dr Gruv / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
Dr Gruv / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump