The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LOGIC 8 HERE IT IS!!!!
Old 14th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
I expect they will demo this stuff at aes theres a company called apple pro audio that has 2 booths.
They are private rooms not accessible to the public.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
They are private rooms not accessible to the public.
Ok but anyway
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post

I want a Studer 2-inch tape machine
I may be able to help you with that. Which one do you want?
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

TRS -- I'll take one of your 2" studers if you have any good ones lying around :-)
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Addict

Just a quick note that on my intel mac, Logic Pro 8 is working much more quickly than Logic Pro 7. Much.

So far so good. Spent 5 hours at it with no crashes.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink View Post
Just a quick note that on my intel mac, Logic Pro 8 is working much more quickly than Logic Pro 7. Much.

So far so good. Spent 5 hours at it with no crashes.
Thanks so much guys for the reports. I would be migrating from DP, which gets REAL sluggish when you get to about 2/3 cpu usage. I primarily use a dual 2.0 G5, but could use my macbook as a node.

I asked this in the other forum but to no avail. 2 questions.

1. Can you run plugs dual mono, like in PT? For example, an unlinked comp on the 2 bus?
2. Can I have a project running at 24 bits, and record an analog bounce back in at 16 bits? (Matched bit depths that DP can do).

Thanks.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

same boat as thermos:
dual 2.0 G5 for me, possibly a macbook for a node.

super hoping it will work good.
Old 15th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516 View Post
same boat as thermos:
dual 2.0 G5 for me, possibly a macbook for a node.

super hoping it will work good.
just a guess, but it would probably run faster on the macbook.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
IMO, the real value you get with Logic is all the sound libraries thrown in.
If you get logic 8 today for $400, you still need to buy an audio interface.
So in that regard, it's no different than buying a M-Box.
You are still going to need some interface.
With Logic8 you can go from a Apogee Duet excellent quality and much better value than anything P.Tools is offering in a similar price tag ! And that same Logic8 can go all the way to extreme highend with an Apogee Symphony System , once again a better quality and more affordable than anything Digi is offering .....

This strategy is win win in both the entry level DAW all the way to High End , with the app being the same , no watered down version for both entry and highend ....

How this plays out in the future is hard to predict , because a true alternative to P.Tools is to recent .....
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post
just a guess, but it would probably run faster on the macbook.
Oh yeah, of course. BUT........need the ol' UAD plate verb and the Lynx aes 16 card. But yeah, the macbook SMOKES the G5.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

High end?

Quote:
Apple is not really seeing themselves in the high end pro hardware department. Why not just stay compatible and let Digidesign make the high end hardware.
With all due respect, IMO part of the overall hardware picture is surely a MacPro compared to a HD accel card (I'm guessing between 4-5 times more powerfull per dollar). And I think the vast majority of High-end PT users are equiped with non-Digi convertors. And even you use a Big Ben and not a HD sync if I remeber correctly! Not to speak of a HD core card being 48 bit, whereas natives are either already 64 bit (Sonar) or will be soon.......
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

I did a quick performance test on a C2D MBP 2.16Ghz.
LP8 consumes slightly more CPU power than LP7 in this particular project.

insts used:
Stylus RMX (stereo)
Absynth 4
FM8
EXS24
ESM

effects used:
PSP VW, 42 and 84
Waves Rcomp
Space Designer
Channel EQ
FAT EQ
Airwindows Density
Attached Images
LOGIC 8 HERE IT IS!!!!-logic-7.png LOGIC 8 HERE IT IS!!!!-logic-8.png 
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Thanks so much guys for the reports. I would be migrating from DP, which gets REAL sluggish when you get to about 2/3 cpu usage. I primarily use a dual 2.0 G5, but could use my macbook as a node.

I asked this in the other forum but to no avail. 2 questions.

1. Can you run plugs dual mono, like in PT? For example, an unlinked comp on the 2 bus?
2. Can I have a project running at 24 bits, and record an analog bounce back in at 16 bits? (Matched bit depths that DP can do).

Thanks.
1. Don't think so. Having never tried it, I could be wrong.

2. Of course, you can bounce anything you want at 16 bits and bring it back into the Audio Bin to use in your project. You can run any bit depth of audio you want as long as the sample rate matches. And you can bounce out 16bit no problem, Logic Pro 7 (and earlier) all had this capability.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Bounced the above test project using LP 8 and 7.
Do you hear any difference?
Attached Files
File Type: aif A.aif (3.63 MB, 186 views) File Type: aif B.aif (3.63 MB, 161 views)
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

A has compared to B THAT RECORD SOUND!!!
its phat, warm and has THAT analogue feeling.
it has smooth highs, tight bottom and is way more punchy...... not
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Head

ten as on ptools le systems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
TDM and AS yes, RTAS no.
thx but I have an Mbox mini which I use with ptools le 7.4, some tdm plugs work in there as rtas and some audiosuite too, will these port over to logic 8 if I'm not on a ptools hd system ?
Old 15th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
A has compared to B THAT RECORD SOUND!!!
its phat, warm and has THAT analogue feeling.
it has smooth highs, tight bottom and is way more punchy...... not
Haha, you got me going for a second
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink View Post
1. Don't think so. Having never tried it, I could be wrong.

2. Of course, you can bounce anything you want at 16 bits and bring it back into the Audio Bin to use in your project. You can run any bit depth of audio you want as long as the sample rate matches. And you can bounce out 16bit no problem, Logic Pro 7 (and earlier) all had this capability.
Thanks. Actually, I mean run a 24 bit session, and in the same session record in a 16 bit file (as in a bounce through my dangerous 2 bus analog, using the lynx aes 16's dither). Is that what you meant?

thanks
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

As far as the 499 price goes...

I think they are just kind of starting over. A new fresh, clean, stable logic with LOTS of room to grow. The price will slowly drive back up with new features and upgrades.
I think Apple are just trying to build a new/bigger user base. All these users will upgrade in the future. Ill bet logic will be back up to $999 in 3 or 4 years.

As far as Logic 8 goes, I think it awesome!. The new single window layout kicks ass. The two channel strips on the left is a really handy addition.
Ive had 0 plugin issues/compatibility.
Seems snappy and responsive (faders, panning)
Ive seen some GUI issues with stuff not drawing (like the word EQ in the EQ slot and others)

ive opened up old L7 projects with no issues.
And, I should have my head checked for this, but... Im going to use it for a 3 song demo session starting on Sunday! (tomorrow).
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you get logic 8 today for $400, you still need to buy an audio interface. So in that regard, it's no different than buying a M-Box.
That's the exact reason Logic is such an attractive alternative to Pro Tools. You're not not stuck with the LE line of hardware.

Let's face it, if Pro Tools doesn't offer something between LE and HD (and soon) or allow Pro Tools to be used in conjunction with 3rd party interfaces, they are going to get their asses handed to them in the prosumer market.
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Head

how about logic 8 express free bundle with duet / ensemble? that would hit ptle pretty hard
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd
If you get logic 8 today for $400, you still need to buy an audio interface. So in that regard, it's no different than buying a M-Box.

Of course you could just use the apple digital or analog I/O that's built into all new machines
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback View Post
how about logic 8 express free bundle with duet / ensemble? that would hit ptle pretty hard
How about just logic 8 express, use the built in sound on the computer, no dongle.

Get the sound card of your choise.
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Head

yeah
Old 15th September 2007
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUGA View Post
I did a quick performance test on a C2D MBP 2.16Ghz.
LP8 consumes slightly more CPU power than LP7 in this particular project.

insts used:
Stylus RMX (stereo)
Absynth 4
FM8
EXS24
ESM

effects used:
PSP VW, 42 and 84
Waves Rcomp
Space Designer
Channel EQ
FAT EQ
Airwindows Density
That's interesting, however the apparent differences might be due to how L8 measures CPU performance. In L7, the CPU window appeared to underreport real CPU usage.

Could you do the same test again, but use Activity Monitor instead?
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Addict

Smile Everything works!

Well, after my first day on Logic 8, just a small report.

I've used Logic as my main DAW since version 4. And I was a little bit scared to open Logic 8, since forums like this, have been yelling about missing features etc etc.

But everything just works wonders here! I haven't really started to use the new features yet (like comping, which looks so sweet...). I just opened a project I am currently working on, and everything just played smoothly. All my AU-plugs and instruments works fine (lots of Waves stuff, nut also EZ Drummer, Stylus RMX, Soundtoys...). I use VSL with my EXS and the performance tool works as well.

A few key commands seem to be gone. I imagine that Logic 8 does not recognise my settings from Logic 7 (??), but otherwise it just works.

Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
That's the exact reason Logic is such an attractive alternative to Pro Tools. You're not not stuck with the LE line of hardware.

Let's face it, if Pro Tools doesn't offer something between LE and HD (and soon) or allow Pro Tools to be used in conjunction with 3rd party interfaces, they are going to get their asses handed to them in the prosumer market.
Lynx, Mytek, Apogee, and Prism all make I/O for Protools HD.
You can get a HD1 system and an interface for under $5K. That's pretty darn cheap IMO.
If you charge $500/day your system will paid for in less than a month.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
That's interesting, however the apparent differences might be due to how L8 measures CPU performance. In L7, the CPU window appeared to underreport real CPU usage.

Could you do the same test again, but use Activity Monitor instead?
The same song, the same buffer size (256 samples), and captured at the same point of the song.
Attached Thumbnails
LOGIC 8 HERE IT IS!!!!-lp7.png   LOGIC 8 HERE IT IS!!!!-lp8.png  

Last edited by YUGA; 15th September 2007 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: 128->256
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Just for grins, I though't I'd finally take the effort to max out Logic on my computer.

42 Space Designers :D
3 Reaktor 5 Massives
1 Reaktor 5 Kaleidon
some audio loops,
ES2

Activity monitor was showing 200% CPU usage.
Strangely, core 6 & 7 never lit up on the Logic "System Performance" window. Core 8 was nearly max'd out.
Not a single glitch the whole time --- smooth as glass -- but it all sounded like crap. :D

(44.1KHz, stereo, 256sample buffer)
8-Core MacPro | OS X 10.4.10 | Logic 8

Old 16th September 2007
Here for the gear

Finally no dongle!!!
Lost my dongle six month ago(guess thats the risk of being portable) so i had to buy a new L7

I think that one of the main reasons of the price drop is the fact that with no dongle allot of piracy is at risk, but the low price and all the documentation are going to make up for it, not to mention all the pc users that are going to cross over to Mac as well(cos they are also dropping the prices on the computers)

anyways looking forward to get the L8,
I use it to do multi-tracking with drums and such, not to mention vocal overdubs! looks like its going to be allot easier know i guess

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search