The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LOGIC 8 HERE IT IS!!!!
Old 14th September 2007
  #481
You're not losing anything AFAIK.
Old 14th September 2007
  #482
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
I'd really like Apple to remove this feature..
It's not there if you don't want it. Just switch it off!
Old 14th September 2007
  #483
Lives for gear
 
gussyg2007's Avatar
thxfuuck
Old 14th September 2007
  #484
Lives for gear
 
lematrix's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo View Post
I think someone heard a difference... maybe we need to hear clips

Hello from Berlin.....

I´m waiting for Logic 8 ´, Apple wrote me yesterday that they have send it. As soon it arrives and i install it.
i just did a better Ruff Mix for a client on Logc 7 this morning. I will open the song in 8 and then i bounce clips and post it for us all and the we will here if there is a different.


Greetings, Mathias
Old 14th September 2007
  #485
Lives for gear
 
lematrix's Avatar
UPS arrived

aaah, there it is


i install it now and then i´ll post. I also check the Harware inserts and tell you then.





Hope this will be not a Hell ride to install both Versions


Mathias
Old 14th September 2007
  #486
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
It's not there if you don't want it. Just switch it off!
Right, but if you'd quoted my whole answer I wasn't worried about me :-)
Old 14th September 2007
  #487
Quote:
Originally Posted by lematrix View Post
Hello from Berlin.....

I´m waiting for Logic 8 ´, Apple wrote me yesterday that they have send it. As soon it arrives and i install it.
i just did a better Ruff Mix for a client on Logc 7 this morning. I will open the song in 8 and then i bounce clips and post it for us all and the we will here if there is a different.


Greetings, Mathias
great Mathias!!!! We'll be looking foward to your answers!
Old 14th September 2007
  #488
Lives for gear
 

7:05 AM Schaumburg On Fedex truck for delivery!!!!!!!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE hAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA



think i'm excited?

CAN"T WAIT
Old 14th September 2007
  #489
I don't understand why normalize a mix...

The text say it's all about headroom, and normalizing will just kill the headroom....
Old 14th September 2007
  #490
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
if the mix is going to be mastered - it is best to leave about 6 db of headroom
Why that? What is the benefit of hitting the mastering rig at -6 dB peak instead of, say, at -2 dB?
Old 14th September 2007
  #491
Lives for gear
 
H-Rezz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Why that? What is the benefit of hitting the mastering rig at -6 dB peak instead of, say, at -2 dB?
It's to give room for the mastering engineer to do his thing without having to knock the gain back , the more he has to work with within limits the better !
Old 14th September 2007
  #492
Lives for gear
 

a lot of dog avatars in the past posts....

maybe it's a theme

logic user = friend of dogs
Old 14th September 2007
  #493
Gear Nut
 
Blatboy's Avatar
 

So, I installed L8... pretty much (but not completely) after I finished what I needed to do on my project. I actually installed it a little earlier than prudence would have allowed, but all in all, though it took about an hour and a half, it went well.

L7 still runs, I'll have to redo my icons in both versions, but icons don't bother me so much. The more organized and slick my icons are, the more I've been procrastinating from doing REAL work.

I'll actually get a chance to start learning my way around the new interface tonight after my presentation.

I did load up a pretty hefty session into L8 (with about 25 exs24 instances, and lots of UAD EQs and compressors) and, it loaded fine. It's a session I've been working on for the last 2.5 weeks, so I know it extremely well. Maybe it's totally a placebo situation, but I swear it sounded a little clearer or crisper or something. Could be little Walt with his new toy, too. I donno. I'm certainly more of a composer than an engineer, so who knows what my ears are or aren't hearing...


and that normalizing function... for guys like me with a project studio who mostly deal with demos... for a final bounce, doesn't sound like such a bad thing, no? If you're not sending it to get mastered etc etc, so headroom wouldn't be so much an issue, right? And if I can hit a button, and it sounds better, what the hey, right? (my inexperience as an engineer is shining through right now, I figger.)
Old 14th September 2007
  #494
Lives for gear
 
lematrix's Avatar
My first Impression

Oh my god, this programm is so slow . I have a Quad 4x2,5 Ghz PPC with a 30" Cinama Display und 8 GB Memory. Everything is mutch slower, it cryes for new Hardware. A lot of the new workflow i really dont like, hope it gets better. My Keycommads dont work correkt - strange . The Screensets stopped working after importing my old Key Commands.

I post some Clips later.



Mathias
Old 14th September 2007
  #495
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatboy View Post
So, I installed L8... pretty much (but not completely) after I finished what I needed to do on my project. I actually installed it a little earlier than prudence would have allowed, but all in all, though it took about an hour and a half, it went well.

L7 still runs, I'll have to redo my icons in both versions, but icons don't bother me so much. The more organized and slick my icons are, the more I've been procrastinating from doing REAL work.

I'll actually get a chance to start learning my way around the new interface tonight after my presentation.

I did load up a pretty hefty session into L8 (with about 25 exs24 instances, and lots of UAD EQs and compressors) and, it loaded fine. It's a session I've been working on for the last 2.5 weeks, so I know it extremely well. Maybe it's totally a placebo situation, but I swear it sounded a little clearer or crisper or something. Could be little Walt with his new toy, too. I donno. I'm certainly more of a composer than an engineer, so who knows what my ears are or aren't hearing...


and that normalizing function... for guys like me with a project studio who mostly deal with demos... for a final bounce, doesn't sound like such a bad thing, no? If you're not sending it to get mastered etc etc, so headroom wouldn't be so much an issue, right? And if I can hit a button, and it sounds better, what the hey, right? (my inexperience as an engineer is shining through right now, I figger.)
Excellent. Sounds pretty positive and I agree about the normalize function. For a final mix, no, but for rough mixes or demos, why not. As you say, if it sounds good, it is good...
Old 14th September 2007
  #496
Lives for gear
 
lematrix's Avatar
i´m just trying to bounce in 8 the mix for the comparsion between 7 and 8 and i can tell you i have problems with the Renverb from Waves. It stoppes working sometimes !!!
Old 14th September 2007
  #497
Lives for gear
 
mixerguy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz View Post
It's to give room for the mastering engineer to do his thing without having to knock the gain back , the more he has to work with within limits the better !
exactly.
Old 14th September 2007
  #498
Lives for gear
 
lematrix's Avatar
i put 2 MP3s in a new threat, one Logic 7 and on in Logic 8 Bounce...
after working 2 hours with new logic I must say, that i am not so lucky with the workflow.


Mathias
Old 14th September 2007
  #499
Gear Nut
 

I've jumped in (G5 dual, OSX10.4.10, Pro Tools 7.1 and HD2 Accel - not Digi recommended I know) but it's all working fine. I've already loaded up some pretty big sessions we're in the middle of and they're all there as before. Not sure there's any sonic difference but not A/B tested or anything yet. One slight negative thing, on this system it's very sluggish at times. Generally - I'm loving it
Old 14th September 2007
  #500
Gear Nut
 
Seth's Avatar
 

Just installed an hour ago. I like the new look. Beautifully clean, sharp. No problems at all so far. Runs a lot smoother for me than LP 7, at least in regards to track arming and bouncing. Seems smoother running all-around.

I dig it so far!
Old 14th September 2007
  #501
Lives for gear
 
Matthew Murray's Avatar
 

Ooh, my seven-hundred pound box just arrived.
Old 14th September 2007
  #502
Gear Nut
 
Seth's Avatar
 

Yes, I was also amazed at how heavy the box was. My first thought, "Did I order 5 external hard drives or something? This is HEAVY."
Old 14th September 2007
  #503
Lives for gear
 
Tony Shepperd's Avatar
I have a couple of thoughts about Logic 8 release.
I don't think it's a Pro Tools "HD Killer", that everyone has been saying is coming.
I think it might be an LE killer because of it's price point.

But because Apple stated in their manual about compatibility with PT 7.4 and 7.4 has not even been officially announced by Digi yet, I think it's clear that Apple is not really seeing themselves in the high end pro hardware department.

Why should they? From their prospective, why reinvent the wheel.
Why not just stay compatible and let Digidesign make the high end hardware.

It makes good business sense.
Old 14th September 2007
  #504
Gear Nut
 

o yeah...ultrabeats full view means i will spend some quality time with ultrabeat. i couldnt get into it before...i love a full grid and now i have one.

man...i gainful employment sucks sometimes.
Old 14th September 2007
  #505
Lives for gear
 
noiseflaw's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
Why not just stay compatible and let Digidesign make the high end hardware.

It makes good business sense.
Apogee / Apple is also offering high end hardware, which suits my needs and wallet completely.

They are not re-inventing the wheel, they are making an excellent quality wheel for a heck of a lot less than Digi.

Factor the soon to be (I think) Apogee Duet, bundled with Logic 8 and you erase entry level PT LE competition and grab new customers for the higher end Apogee / Apple stuff.

Now THAT really makes good business sense.
Old 14th September 2007
  #506
Lives for gear
 
Tony Shepperd's Avatar
IMO, the real value you get with Logic is all the sound libraries thrown in.
If you get logic 8 today for $400, you still need to buy an audio interface.
So in that regard, it's no different than buying a M-Box.
You are still going to need some interface.
Old 14th September 2007
  #507
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
I think it's clear that Apple is not really seeing themselves in the high end pro hardware department.
I think it´s not that clear.

Apple - Logic Studio - Apogee

At least it´s an option if you want to. I expect they will demo this stuff at aes theres a company called apple pro audio that has 2 booths.
Old 14th September 2007
  #508
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
Apogee / Apple is also offering high end hardware, which suits my needs and wallet completely.

They are not re-inventing the wheel, they are making an excellent quality wheel for a heck of a lot less than Digi.

Factor the soon to be (I think) Apogee Duet, bundled with Logic 8 and you erase entry level PT LE competition and grab new customers for the higher end Apogee / Apple stuff.

Now THAT really makes good business sense.
That's what you and I and a lot more people want to happen, but you know we're just beign naive...
Old 14th September 2007
  #509
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
That's typical I get the Waves Delays and now they release Delay Designer!

I want a Studer 2-inch tape machine
Well you certainly wouldn't have any problems with a machine like that. Those things always work!

I am interested in more reports about the slugishness. Do you think it has anything to do with installing everything included in the package, for instance maybe a lesser install would streamline it a little? Just thinking out loud.
Old 14th September 2007
  #510
Gear Addict
 
Orren's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I am interested in more reports about the slugishness. Do you think it has anything to do with installing everything included in the package, for instance maybe a lesser install would streamline it a little? Just thinking out loud.
No, people who complain Logic is sluggish are talking about the main application of Logic Pro 8, regardless of the external plug-ins, samples, etc.

We all have different levels of hardware, graphics cards, and different expectations. I can only tell you that Logic runs very smoothly on my Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66GHz machine. I can tell you that Logic 8 on my Mac Pro runs a whole hell of a lot faster than Logic 7 on my old G5 (which I sold). Of course, you'd expect that, wouldn't you? My informal tests were that Logic 7 and Logic 8 seem about as fast, GUI-wise; the disk performance of Logic 8 seems significantly better (and that's on the same Mac Pro). Logic 8 seems a better CPU performer as well.

Keep in mind, the GUI of Logic 8 has a lot more going on—double channel strips in the Inspector, media browser, editor windows, toolbar, expanded transport, etc. And all of those extra onscreen goodies—which aren't simply "draw and forget" but user adjustable on the fly—take up CPU and redraw cycles. My guess is that there's a lot more going on under the hood.

I'm also guessing that it's optimized for the latest and greatest. It will run on G5s, and the minimum specs even say G4s, but I wouldn't expect the performance that you'd get on a currently shipping machine. I'm also going to guess that the new all-cocoa GUI will get a pretty serious speed boost from Leopard, although I don't know this for sure. But again, it goes back to the specific hardware: if Leopard were to give Logic 8 a massive speed boost, but Leopard brings a specific machine to its knees, that would sort of cancel itself out, no?

So I would say that for any currently shipping Mac, Logic 8 is not sluggish. For an older Mac, it might be, depending on hardware configuration. I can't speak to that. But for how changed the GUI is, and how much it is doing, the fact that the developers worked hard to insure that it runs on legacy systems is a good thing in and of itself; there were a lot of rumors Logic 8 would be Intel only, require Leopard, etc. Clearly, those are wrong, and I think if the cost of that legacy support is a bit of speed, well, so it goes. Remember, even the shipping Mac Minis have Core 2 Duos now...

Orren
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Dr Gruv / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
Dr Gruv / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump