The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LOGIC 8 HERE IT IS!!!!
Old 13th September 2007
  #421
Lives for gear
 
DrDeltaM's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Do we know any more today about whether there is delay compensation for hardware inserts? Thanks.
Seperate thread about that now: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/logic...pensation.html
Old 13th September 2007
  #422
How do you uninstall an old versdion of Logic? Do you just do a search for "Logic" On your mac then select stuff and dump it in the trash? DUmb question but I have never done it before.
Old 13th September 2007
  #423
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
How do you uninstall an old versdion of Logic?
You probably don't want to do that (yet), because you need Logic 7 to open older songs, and also want it you for some reason need the Audio Configuration window - it's gone in Logic 8).
Old 13th September 2007
  #424
16942
Guest
This update may seem evolutionary rather than revolutionary but the re-write of the audio engine, the fact that is it now all Cocoa and MacIntel compatible while still able to work on PPCs was a big job to accomplish.

A number of things from the top 10 list that users submitted have been added:
1. Auto aux-creation.
2. The ability to route buses/auxes to audio tracks to record. No more Soundflower necessary.
3. Tab to Transient.
4. Sample accurate editing on the Arrange page.
5. Graphical Time stretching of audio regions.
6. Improved Surround capability.
7. Longer length
8. The ability to use 3rd party fx on node machines. (No softsynths, yet.)

So certainly this is a worthy upgrade for $200.
Old 13th September 2007
  #425
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
How do you uninstall an old versdion of Logic? Do you just do a search for "Logic" On your mac then select stuff and dump it in the trash? DUmb question but I have never done it before.
No.
I wouldn't suggest it either- I need to be able to work in both versions until I get used to Logic Studio.
Old 13th September 2007
  #426
Gear Nut
 
Blatboy's Avatar
 

oooh so I can still run logic 7 with logic 8 installed.

hmmm. maybe I will be able to install this puppy after all

(ahem, after I get SOME work done...)

w
Old 13th September 2007
  #427
Lives for gear
 
jamwerks's Avatar
 

Logic 8

It would be very interesting IMO to do a little test on Logic 8 and a new 8 core MacPro, to see how it measures up in terms of power compared to a PT HD system.

For example:

24/96
60 (or 80) audio tracks streamed from internal drives
Sony EQ and Dynamics on each track
3 Sony verbs on busses
etc.

I have the feeling that an 8 core corresponds to about a HD6 or 7.............
Old 13th September 2007
  #428
Lives for gear
 
sleepwalker's Avatar
 

Wow. I can not relate to the many statements like this.

If I owned a Ferrari, I'd have bought it for the looks and the performance.

---

Logic isn't garageband, so I don't see your point there. The only thing I think I'm understanding is that the entry price is lower and there's no dongle, so Logic will see many more "lower end" users.

The day software is directly associated with my sense of personal status. Yikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzski View Post
If everyone drove around in a ferrari, they'd stop being desirable and sexy.

I think most pro-PT driven people will continue to stay away from Logic - i for one wouldnt like my work tools to be devalued or have toy status (Garbageband et al).
Old 13th September 2007
  #429
Just booted things up and looks slick but it's gonna take getting used to the new layout.

IF and when I decide to clear logic 7 what is the best way. Thanks
Old 13th September 2007
  #430
Lives for gear
 
Tibbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatboy View Post
AAAAAAAH! Mine just came in... but I have a big project due tomorrow that I'm in the middle of, with a guy coming in today for a rec. session on it, and I believe it would be more prudent to wait till I've finished this project, as what if it crashes and I can't finish it in time???

.... The suspense is killing me, tho.

right. here. must. look. must. install. NO!
Never do something like that in the middle of a project! I'd say that just the slowing you down in the session since you wouldn't be as familliar would make it a poor idea. Must keep the kung fu speed up there!
Old 13th September 2007
  #431
Gear Nut
 
MeatPye's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
Never do something like that in the middle of a project! I'd say that just the slowing you down in the session since you wouldn't be as familliar would make it a poor idea. Must keep the kung fu speed up there!
Absolutely the best advice. I want the new version too, but I'm going to wait until some of my current main projects are out of the way. This also gives some time for the dust to settle somewhat and maybe some bugs / incompatibilities to show themselves.

Looks good so far, from what I've seen / read - never known any piece of software to create such a frisson! stike
Old 13th September 2007
  #432
Lives for gear
 
gsilbers's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
I have it working with the current latest version of PT 7.3.x and Logic Studio.
No complaints although the ESB distortion still happens when you run out of memory.
do u have PPC or intel wit that HD system?
Old 13th September 2007
  #433
Gear Nut
 
Blatboy's Avatar
 

Yes. Grasshopper will wait to install until project finished. Grasshopper has whistler coming in to record this afternoon and must not be hampered. Grasshopper need kung fu speed.

HaaiiiiiiYA! *breaking wood boards and control surfaces with bare hands*

Grasshopper focus on work.

ooooh whats in that big heavy black cardboard box over there??


WANT!




w
Old 13th September 2007
  #434
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
do u have PPC or intel wit that HD system?
Dual G5 2ghz, 4gb ram.
Old 13th September 2007
  #435
Gear Nut
 
Evil_G's Avatar
 

Well, it seems that suddenly, Digi's control surfaces are not so interesting anymore...
ICON, D-Command, Control 24, Command 8...hmmm.
I predict a massive market shift there.

And that's a good thing!

Neal
Old 13th September 2007
  #436
Lives for gear
 
Jazzpunk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
A number of things from the top 10 list that users submitted have been added:

3. Tab to Transient.
Can you actually tab to transients ala Pro Tools or does Logic just detect transients when you are selecting a region of audio? Huge difference. Anyone know?
Old 13th September 2007
  #437
Lives for gear
 
jamwerks's Avatar
 

Control surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_G View Post
Well, it seems that suddenly, Digi's control surfaces are not so interesting anymore...
ICON, D-Command, Control 24, Command 8...hmmm.
I predict a massive market shift there.

And that's a good thing!

Neal
That seems to be the only missing element in the Logic world. I work with a MCU + xtender and get along find (composing/arranging). But for a pro recorder and/or mixer, there's really no control surface for Logic thats allow them to work quickly and creatively like the PT Icon combination...........
Old 13th September 2007
  #438
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
Can you actually tab to transients ala Pro Tools or does Logic just detect transients when you are selecting a region of audio? Huge difference. Anyone know?
You can use the marque tool/arrow keys on an audio region to move between transients, but it isn't as intuitive as PT's method.
Using the mouse to do it is probably better- but requires finer control.
Old 13th September 2007
  #439
Lives for gear
 
whereisbkp's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
Just booted things up and looks slick but it's gonna take getting used to the new layout.

IF and when I decide to clear logic 7 what is the best way. Thanks
i used this link when i uninstalled logic 7:
Sonikmatter > How to Uninstall Logic 7

cant totally vouch for it, but seemed to work well for me.

p.s. ironically, i'm glad i sold my copy of logic 7 when i did...the full version of logic 8 is the same price as a used copy of logic 7 was!!

Old 13th September 2007
  #440
Gear Nut
 
Evil_G's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
That seems to be the only missing element in the Logic world. I work with a MCU + xtender and get along find (composing/arranging). But for a pro recorder and/or mixer, there's really no control surface for Logic thats allow them to work quickly and creatively like the PT Icon combination...........
Yes, there's no equivalent ICON in Logic world. But, there's AWS900/Duality , Euphonix, Yamaha, Mackie, etc etc etc. Maybe this will be the next big thing from Apogee. I am just happy that with Logic 8 on the scene is going to mark the end of the (near) monopoly Digi has on the pro audio world.

Neal
Old 13th September 2007
  #441
Lives for gear
 
Jazzpunk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
You can use the marque tool/arrow keys on an audio region to move between transients, but it isn't as intuitive as PT's method.
Using the mouse to do it is probably better- but requires finer control.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 13th September 2007
  #442
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
Thanks for the clarification.
I should point out that there might be another way to use it- but I haven't found it so far.
I've searched the manuals but can't seem to find it.
Old 13th September 2007
  #443
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
That seems to be the only missing element in the Logic world. I work with a MCU + xtender and get along find (composing/arranging). But for a pro recorder and/or mixer, there's really no control surface for Logic thats allow them to work quickly and creatively like the PT Icon combination...........

i work with a logic control and 3 xt's. i agreed with your position until i recently added a c4 for my "center strip". seriously, it makes a gigantic improvement in what you can do with that rig. much less reliance on the keyboard is now possible, in my experience. thumbsup

plus, it looks desirable and sexy, like a ferrari.

oh, wait; maybe you shouldn't get one, because if you and everyone else does, my rig won't be worth using anymore.
Old 13th September 2007
  #444
Lives for gear
 
DrDeltaM's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixapphire View Post
i work with a logic control and 3 xt's. i agreed with your position until i recently added a c4 for my "center strip". seriously, it makes a gigantic improvement in what you can do with that rig. much less reliance on the keyboard is now possible, in my experience. thumbsup

plus, it looks desirable and sexy, like a ferrari.

oh, wait; maybe you shouldn't get one, because if you and everyone else does, my rig won't be worth using anymore.
The C4 is very cool with Logic, tightly integrated. Even Mackie admits it's only really interesting for Logic atm (tho the standalone midi-control features of it are pretty cool too).
Old 13th September 2007
  #445
I got a mackie C4 and never got it to work. any tips?



Quote:
Originally Posted by vixapphire View Post
i work with a logic control and 3 xt's. i agreed with your position until i recently added a c4 for my "center strip". seriously, it makes a gigantic improvement in what you can do with that rig. much less reliance on the keyboard is now possible, in my experience. thumbsup

plus, it looks desirable and sexy, like a ferrari.

oh, wait; maybe you shouldn't get one, because if you and everyone else does, my rig won't be worth using anymore.
Old 13th September 2007
  #446
Lives for gear
 
audiomichael's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonecontroller View Post
With Logic Pro 8 they have spent a lot of energy and time rewriting the entire engine so I suspect this is just the beginning. They will have prepared 'hooks' for some really nice future developments to build on this. Anyone got any comments on the mis buss yet - hearing anything different??
The question was posed to one of the Logic product managers:

1. Did you guys change/improve the audio engine
sonically?


The answer was no.

Has anyone heard otherwise?
Old 13th September 2007
  #447
As PDC is improved some might hear the sonic benefits of that, e.g. improved tightness, relative transient clarity etc.

So I guess it's not as simple to answer a straight "no".

Otherwise this is a pretty easy issue to prove or disprove by doing a null test.
Old 13th September 2007
  #448
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Wow, this thread is the fastest growing in GS history...

20,000 views in 24 hours.
Old 13th September 2007
  #449
Lives for gear
 
audiomichael's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
As PDC is improved some might hear the sonic benefits of that, e.g. improved tightness, relative transient clarity etc..
What's PDC?

Powerful Deutsch Console?
Please Don't Compare?
Program Dithering Computations?
Old 13th September 2007
  #450
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
The question was posed to one of the Logic product managers:

1. Did you guys change/improve the audio engine
sonically?


The answer was no.

Has anyone heard otherwise?
Care to cite your source for this?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Dr Gruv / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
Dr Gruv / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump