The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LOGIC 8 HERE IT IS!!!!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko View Post
Goog test (as a comparison with Pro Tools) would be creating 20 tracks, putting some plugins on them, then deleting 10 tracks and then creating another 20. In Pro Tools it would result with 30 tracks, where 10 would have had plugins. In Logic 7 those plugins would stay on the channel strips.
Logic now has something called 'Automatic Management of Channel Strip Objects', which I guess would change this.

Quote:
Is what you see what you hear? I hate in Logic that it hides some regions underneath another regions and this creates huge mess and confusion in the arrangement.
In Logic 8 (and 7) this behavior depends on three things:
If nothing is selected, you see what you hear.
The drag-mode called 'No Overlap' ensures that if you drag something on top of another region, the underlying material is (non-destructively) removed.
If the Replace button active in the transport panel, whatever you record will replace the underlying material in real time (non-destructively).
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydo View Post
Personally I could give a **** if every kid out there has a copy
and apparently Apple doesn't either.
If everyone drove around in a ferrari, they'd stop being desirable and sexy.

I think most pro-PT driven people will continue to stay away from Logic - i for one wouldnt like my work tools to be devalued or have toy status (Garbageband et al).
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Maybe it's not a matter of 'cynically approving of piracy' as much as it's just a really hardcore committment to NOT ATTACK YOUR USERS.
NO - its about selling the biggest dongle of them all - the apple PC.
Old 13th September 2007
teo
Lives for gear

I am a PT user and looking for a native DAW. I am looking into Digital Performer, but a couple of things bug me a little (SDII, no Waves support),so...
I do own a copy of logic 7, but hated the audio editing, the routing and assignment system...it was not my thing.
Now that they finally addressed sample level editing in the main window i am wondering if a few things that really annoyed me have been changed:

- I saw from the video that you can easily assign I/O when you create tracks when you create themm but can you reassign them easily also at a later point? (like in PT shift-alt-apple assign)
-I like the multiple take thing, but is there a way to hide all the takes but the one you are hearing?
-Can you edit grouped tracks. It might be me, but logic is the only daw where i could not manage to do this easily..but it might well be i'm just thick!

I'm just thinking that somebody has probably had a go at it by now...I know that loads of people use and love Logic, but i just couldn't live with a few ProTools-esque funcions and behaviours.

Teo
P.S. Hi everybody, first post, but long time lurker
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzski View Post
I think most pro-PT driven people will continue to stay away from Logic - i for one wouldnt like my work tools to be devalued or have toy status (Garbageband et al).
I don´t get it, if you have HD you can offer both to clients for $499. Logic will run with TDM.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teo View Post
- I saw from the video that you can easily assign I/O when you create tracks when you create themm but can you reassign them easily also at a later point? (like in PT shift-alt-apple assign)
-I like the multiple take thing, but is there a way to hide all the takes but the one you are hearing?
Yes and yes.

Quote:
Can you edit grouped tracks. It might be me, but logic is the only daw where i could not manage to do this easily..but it might well be i'm just thick!
Edit - in which sense?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
I don´t get it, if you have HD you can offer both to clients for $499. Logic will run with TDM.
Apparantly, it's not about what the software can or cannot do, it's how it is perceived that is important

I must be low life as I just ordered LogicStudio heh
Old 13th September 2007
teo
Lives for gear

Great! Thanks

By editing i mean: say you have a bounce of tracks you want to edit simultaneously, like a whole drumkit, an orchestral take, whatever. What happens if you grab the edge of one track and trim it? do the others follow. I want to do this WITHOUT selecting the tracks first. and i recall i could not find a way of doing this...
I might be wrong though, this was a while ago and I don't have Logic installed right now...
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzski View Post
If everyone drove around in a ferrari, they'd stop being desirable and sexy.

I think most studio owners will buy what their clients ask for and they'll most likely appreciate paying less rather then more.
If garageband does the job then great, I could care less how people perceive.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teo View Post
What happens if you grab the edge of one track and trim it? do the others follow. I want to do this WITHOUT selecting the tracks first.
You don't need to select the tracks.

It's up to you how this behaves, because if you have enabled Region Selection (Edit) for that group, selecting one region belonging to that group will also select all the other region assigned to the same group (but only with the time range of the region you click on).

Then you can edit the left/right corner of all the selected regions.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Nut

With Logic Pro 8 they have spent a lot of energy and time rewriting the entire engine so I suspect this is just the beginning. They will have prepared 'hooks' for some really nice future developments to build on this. Anyone got any comments on the mis buss yet - hearing anything different??
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Just ordered Logic Pro 8 studio upgrade from Logic Pro 7, which makes me wonder how will the update function. I just uninstalled logic Pro 7 cause i like to tidy up my mac when i do major installments (neurotic behaviorhaha) then i thought Damn! that is not so smart since i will probably have to install it again if the upgrade needs 7.2 to be installed. Can anyone shed any light on this? Any upgraders already? Does it need 7.2 to be installed on the mac, or will it only ask for the 7.2 install disc? Or do you need to put in your XS key or just the serial of the XS key? Oh and of course very very important any problems conflicts doing the upgrade? Anyone?? Thanks!!!

Whoooooooooohhhooooooooooo it is finally here!!!!(had to do this)

Last edited by Marrone; 13th September 2007 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: forgot to write something
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrone View Post
Just ordered Logic Pro 8 studio upgrade from Logic Pro 7, which makes me wonder how will the update function. I just uninstalled logic Pro 7 cause i like to tidy up my mac when i do major installments (neurotic behaviorhaha) then i thought Damn! that is not so smart since i will probably have to install it again if the upgrade needs 7.2 to be installed. Can anyone shed any light on this? Any upgraders already? Does it need 7.2 to be installed on the mac, or will it only ask for the 7.2 install disc? Or do you need to put in your XS key or just the serial of the XS key? Oh and of course very very important any problems conflicts doing the upgrade? Anyone?? Thanks!!!

Whoooooooooohhhooooooooooo it is finally here!!!!(had to do this)
Waiting for my copy atm, but my guess is it's gonna check your XSKey to validate the upgrade.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrone View Post
Just ordered Logic Pro 8 studio upgrade from Logic Pro 7, which makes me wonder how will the update function.
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Log...re_Upgrade.pdf

From Page 7...

10 - In the Serial Number field, enter the Logic Studio serial number—printed on the Software Serial Number label attached to the front of this document—then click Continue.

11 - A dialog appears, asking you to either enter the serial number of your earlier Logic version, or to connect your XSKey to one of your computer’s USB ports.

From what I've read, not having Logic 7 installed won't be an issue... you just need to plug in the XSKey during the install period to prove your upgrade eligibility.

It also mentions to keep hold of the LP7 key as it will be needed for further installations.
Old 13th September 2007
I might end up buyin Logic Express 8 and to see if I can get into it... if I like it... I'll jump to Pro.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisbluness View Post
Hm something that Im not sure about:

If you upgrade from LP7, what parts of the whole Logic Studio package will be included? I guess just LP8 and some sound libary, right?
No - you get the entire package.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Great!! Thanks!!

"It also mentions to keep hold of the LP7 key as it will be needed for further installations.[/"

So we will be needing the XSkey for further upgrades and installations right? That is kind of strange cause how would people upgrade when they have a full version without dongle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by headwerkn View Post
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Log...re_Upgrade.pdf

From Page 7...

10 - In the Serial Number field, enter the Logic Studio serial number—printed on the Software Serial Number label attached to the front of this document—then click Continue.

11 - A dialog appears, asking you to either enter the serial number of your earlier Logic version, or to connect your XSKey to one of your computer’s USB ports.

From what I've read, not having Logic 7 installed won't be an issue... you just need to plug in the XSKey during the install period to prove your upgrade eligibility.

It also mentions to keep hold of the LP7 key as it will be needed for further installations.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac
1) When will Apple ship a new 8x8 Midi Interface?
2) Audio Regions- Is there a "Trimmer Tool" like Pro Tools? ie: select a region move trimmer tool left and data to the right of the tool disappears but can be shown again moving the tool to the right?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayon View Post
2) Audio Regions- Is there a "Trimmer Tool" like Pro Tools? ie: select a region move trimmer tool left and data to the right of the tool disappears but can be shown again moving the tool to the right?
Ditto
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Head

sound quality

Can you take both bounces (the one from L7 and the one from L8) and put them into two tracks in a sequencer and phase shift one. If the sound is exactly the same in L8 as L7 you should hear silence no? If there is a slight difference you should hear it right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
Oh, and it didn't crash!

But it did reset ALL of my icons to default... even in L7!!! ergggg.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar10003 View Post
Can you take both bounces (the one from L7 and the one from L8) and put them into two tracks in a sequencer and phase shift one. If the sound is exactly the same in L8 as L7 you should hear silence no? If there is a slight difference you should hear it right?
My guess is that the difference (if any) is so small that whats left after doing what you suggest is not audiable.
Old 13th September 2007
Here for the gear

Talking

Anyone know about PTHD hardware compatibility? Have ordered anyways. Looking good.

Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Cole View Post
Anyone know about PTHD hardware compatibility? Have ordered anyways. Looking good.

It's officially supported (there are even TDM templates), but it needs PT 7.4 I believe. Should be out at AES...
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM View Post
It's officially supported (there are even TDM templates), but it needs PT 7.4 I believe. Should be out at AES...
I have it working with the current latest version of PT 7.3.x and Logic Studio.
No complaints although the ESB distortion still happens when you run out of memory.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Do we know any more today about whether there is delay compensation for hardware inserts? Thanks.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
I'm really surprised that there aren't blatant Beat Detective and Melodyne ripoffs.
I hope those are in the next version!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanojohn View Post
Emeryville, CA... I do believe the san fran store has a bunch too
ARRRRGHH!!!

(rumpelstiltzkin style for y'all)
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
I have it working with the current latest version of PT 7.3.x and Logic Studio.
No complaints although the ESB distortion still happens when you run out of memory.

oct... can you confirm if you have an intel mac or not..

thanks
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbaby987 View Post
oct... can you confirm if you have an intel mac or not..

thanks
G5.
Intel Mac will require PT 7.4.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Nut

AAAAAAAH! Mine just came in... but I have a big project due tomorrow that I'm in the middle of, with a guy coming in today for a rec. session on it, and I believe it would be more prudent to wait till I've finished this project, as what if it crashes and I can't finish it in time???

.... The suspense is killing me, tho.

right. here. must. look. must. install. NO!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search