The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LOGIC 8 HERE IT IS!!!!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

wow, they have been busy bunnies at Infinite Loop...

this is good stuff. not revolutionary - and I doubt Digidesign have locked themselves up in a cheap hotel with a bottle of Jacks whimpering about how it's all over for them - but a serious step forward nonetheless. 'refined' is a good word. just reading through the manual as I write this... something neat:

Using Track Button Slide Activation
Track buttons on arrange tracks (Solo, Mute, Hide, Track Protect, Node, Freeze) support slide activation, which is similar to running your finger across several channel strip buttons on good hardware mixing consoles.

As a usage example of slide activation in Logic Pro, click-hold on the Mute button of one track, and drag the mouse up or down. The Mute buttons of all swiped tracks will switch to the same state.

Simply drag over the Mute buttons of the same tracks to undo the Mute.

touch screen anyone?

the new UI improvements and multiple-take/comping alone are for me easily worth the upgrade price. for those who perform with virtual instruments MainStage would probably be enough of a dealmaker in itself. it's cool that the Environment now takes care of itself for multitrack audio work - i never got the hang of it. and by god i'm so chuffed there's sample editing in the main window.

unlimited file size in Core Audio Format(s) sounds interesting.

my new Nano has arrived so it's time to pick that up and order the upgrade. Apple sure are good at coming up with ways to get my money - and be happy about it!
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Lee View Post
I don't get how people can own computers and not try to understand how they work.
It is really quite easy. You see.. half of all humankind is below average.

- Jesse -
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doktahyde View Post
AxuaLLy it WasnT thaT muCh aT aLL MORON paPER mADE Man. ThE wHo0le poiNt if U didNt geT it is Why host a LogiC 7 101 CoURSE WHEn THe ClaSS IS goINg 2 b INvAlID 2 wEEx LATeR? ISs THaT cLEAr 2 u PAPeR MaDE pLASTikk mannnn!!!

Ok I get it...
your out of pocket $800
and they won't give your money back
call victor gardner aka mupa , he will staighen you out
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted View Post
don't go too apesh!t over the new logic 8 celebration:

Apple support/troubleshooting Docs for Logic Studio/Logic 8/MainStage
haha, if thats all there is to worry about for now i think we can absolutely celebrate
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac
CPU Requirement Question???

Slightly mundane- but it mentions a minimum requirement of PCI Express Audio interface-

Does anyone out there know whether this is likely to mean that a regular, pre-PCI Express 2.7 G5 would work- but maybe not as well- or not work at all w/Logic 8?

I have this Mac with a 7 slot Magma PCI which has UAD cards, a SATA card, etc...and I figured maybe someone here might know if this is the end of the road for this setup or if it might squeak by for a while if I go to Logic 8 from 7- the setup is pretty fast and solid- so I am hoping there is hope...thx-
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doktahyde View Post
AxuaLLy it WasnT thaT muCh aT aLL MORON paPER mADE Man. ThE wHo0le poiNt if U didNt geT it is Why host a LogiC 7 101 CoURSE WHEn THe ClaSS IS goINg 2 b INvAlID 2 wEEx LATeR? ISs THaT cLEAr 2 u PAPeR MaDE pLASTikk mannnn!!!
It seems my ignore list grows a little every week lately...
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

With this release, I'd say the old "Big Learning Curve" argument that people give as a reason not to use Logic has gone away. You don't have to use the Environment for anything anymore unless you just want to. And audio editing just got a lot easier.

But I'm sure they'll find something else to scare people with.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by perky b View Post
Slightly mundane- but it mentions a minimum requirement of PCI Express Audio interface-

Does anyone out there know whether this is likely to mean that a regular, pre-PCI Express 2.7 G5 would work- but maybe not as well- or not work at all w/Logic 8?

I have this Mac with a 7 slot Magma PCI which has UAD cards, a SATA card, etc...and I figured maybe someone here might know if this is the end of the road for this setup or if it might squeak by for a while if I go to Logic 8 from 7- the setup is pretty fast and solid- so I am hoping there is hope...thx-
They also say it will work with a G4 1.25 see below

Logic Studio System Requirements
Minimum requirements to install all applications

* Mac computer with a 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4 processor (PowerPC G5, Intel Core Duo, or Intel Xeon processor highly recommended)
* 1GB of RAM (2GB or more highly recommended)
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

i am excited about this - hope it'll solve my stability issues..

i ordered mine at 7:30 am after spewing coffee - I couldn't believe the macrumors headline

i have been talking to my girlfriend about this supposed upgrade since jan. - (she was happy that it finally came out also) probably got tired of me talking about it...

i got my tracking number and it should be here soon

next stop 45nm mac pro with leopard and perhaps the apogee or other (we'll see what metric, lynx and rme have at aes)

Great time to be in the audio industry!!!

FINALLY!
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

I am under the impression after reading thru the specs that the sound engine is the same as logic 7?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Logic 8 is very sluggish....so far. Logic 7 is still there thank goodness!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise View Post
Logic 8 is very sluggish....so far. Logic 7 is still there thank goodness!
NOOOOO! Apple wants you to upgrade your machine. Your 8 core intel processor is getting a little long in the tooth, don't you think?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Not joking, I'm 98% sure I once played drums for doktahyde...

(And if it is the same person, I can say that of all the people I've worked with, including many signed acts, this talent had the highest ceiling.)
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maks View Post
haha, if thats all there is to worry about for now i think we can absolutely celebrate
what makes you think that's all there is?

this is just the first day, and we got this many already. imagine how it'll be a week or a month from now.

i'm still gonna get it tho
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Lee View Post
To all those people who are crying about it not being 64bit and thus no more than 4Gb RAM in use... It can't be 64bit before Apple releases Leopard. I don't get how people can own computers and not try to understand how they work.
What you don't get is that those of us who are 'crying' about it not being 64 bit thought that maybe the delay in the release was tied to the delay in Leopard's release and that it would be dependant on and released around the same time as Leopard.

It has nothing to do with not understanding how computers work.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by headwerkn View Post
[I]Using Track Button Slide Activation
Track buttons on arrange tracks (Solo, Mute, Hide, Track Protect, Node, Freeze)

it's cool that the Environment now takes care of itself for multitrack audio work - i never got the hang of it. and by god i'm so chuffed there's sample editing in the main window.
i thought most of these were already in L7:

-slide activation (i know at least Solo & Mute for sure)
-new audio tracks into environment from arrange window (select "Create Multiple")
-sample editing in main window (okay, not "in", but you can open sample editing window from arrange when you double-click an audio region)
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

A couple questions for the folks who've got it already and will be up all night exploring:

1. Let me know at some point how it does with BFD—you know, with the full BFD version running...drums on all the aux channels, etc.

2. Beat Detective-type thing going on?

3. The Delay Compensation question everyone is asking—especially regarding hardware inserts.

Thanks.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone want to explain how us multiple computers users continue forward with no exs-key?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agno View Post
Anyone want to explain how us multiple computers users continue forward with no exs-key?
By buying multiple copies. At least that's what my local Apple Store rep said.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scking View Post
By buying multiple copies. At least that's what my local Apple Store rep said.
Why would they do that? I understand it's affordable, but not for 2 copies. I find it hard to believe that they would do that knowing that the dongle's enable you to use it on multiple computers... that was apart of it's purpose.

Anyone else know anything about this? or Can anyone else confirm it?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why would they do that? I understand it's affordable, but not for 2 copies. I find it hard to believe that they would do that knowing that the dongle's enable you to use it on multiple computers... that was apart of it's purpose.

Dude, it's twice as affordable as it was before! Duh!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_seldon View Post
I am finishing my install as I type.
Did the Apple stores have it already? Same day air? How'd you get it so fast?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Just like with Native Instruments, you get to license 2 copies- one on your desktop (studio) and one for the laptop.

I'm pretty excited about this update. It has addressed the audio editing issues and the user interface. These were my major gripes with Logic Pro 7...definately worth the wait.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

also... can someone confirm if Logic 8 as an audiosuite like function... in other words an offline audio process, and not an offline bounce.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Even with all the good news I'm feeling a bit anxious.I won't be buying right away and I keep getting the sinking feeling this is a limited time offer ...it's almost to good to be true....stike..

Someone please ask Dr.Phil (or maybe Oprah) to call me and soothe my paranoia ...

bp
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

The academic store does not have it available yet. When it does I expect I will have to gladly pay the full academic price as it was made lear that Logic Pro 7 would not be upgradeable. Nevertheless, I guess that a new copy at academic price will indeed be a bargain.

I will pay 500 dollars just to get ride of the freaking dongle. I personally like Logic Pro just for the recording and few plugins. I have never gotten serious about midi.

I am jazzed and as usual the Apple approach it to really shake it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towen View Post
Does anyone know if apple is allowing upgrades from Logic Pro 7 academic users?
Old 13th September 2007
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings View Post
Looks like Space Designer is finally going to give Altiverb a run for it's money - IF the new impulses are any good!

P.S., Curious... does Logic have a dither plug?
If it doesn't have normal regular TPDF dither built in so you can use it, I'll write one ON THE SPOT and put it out for free. How's that?

I sell a boutique dither, 'Contingent Dither', but it's mostly there because that's what I use myself. Also I might put out some of my older boutique dithers and wordlength reducers, some of which had little followings back in the day
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Just bought the upgrade

Does anyone know if Logic 8 has audio tempo matching, like Ableton? Didn't see it in the manual, but saw on the apple site you can just drag/stretch audio to fit your bar(s).

Off to install this guy
Old 13th September 2007
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevvyB View Post
And I too would love to have the proper stereo sends thing - never understood the point of sitting there with space designer sending it mono signals the whole time - talk about defeating the object
If they have proper stereo sends, I vow that I will write a DUAL MONO version of my FreeverbCJ plugin. Anybody confirm that this works? Stereo send/return was always my nightmare in 7. Better yet, can you set up processing on a stereo aux and have it be N to N (in other words, plain mono plugs will run as dual mono)?
Old 13th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Just bought the upgrade

Does anyone know if Logic 8 has audio tempo matching, like Ableton? Didn't see it in the manual, but saw on the apple site you can just drag/stretch audio to fit your bar(s).

Off to install this guy
Can you give us the lowdown on how one actually installs the upgrade?
Also, if you upgrade from say Logic 5, for 200$, is that Logic 8 now upgradeable in the future as if it were a full retail version?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search