The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LOGIC 8 HERE IT IS!!!!
Old 13th September 2007
  #301
Gear Addict
 
yoink's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murray View Post
What did they advertise, and where?
Great picture/avatar Matthew!

In other news, LPS shiped via FedEx express. Should have it tomorrow - will put it on the laptop for testing and report back.
Old 13th September 2007
  #302
Quote:
Originally Posted by vixapphire View Post
where you at that you had it instore today already? i've been calling music stores and apple stores in LA and no one's received jack yet.
Emeryville, CA... I do believe the san fran store has a bunch too
Old 13th September 2007
  #303
Lives for gear
 
Matthew Murray's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I thought they said "Direct insert patching of external hardware instruments and effects"......


Maybe not?
They did say that. But with nothing mentioned in any of the official documentation, I'm getting the feeling it's either a cruel joke by a website designer, or perhaps a reference to some other feature that doesn't include latency compensation. If they bunged this up, I might actually still jump ship. It was supposed to be the one thing I was waiting to see if LP8 would incorporate... the other features look splendid, but considering we do all our work with outboard, this is becoming a pain in the yarrrrrrr....
Old 13th September 2007
  #304
Gear Addict
 

Oh for heaven's sake.
Old 13th September 2007
  #305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murray View Post
They did say that. But with nothing mentioned in any of the official documentation, I'm getting the feeling it's either a cruel joke by a website designer, or perhaps a reference to some other feature that doesn't include latency compensation. If they bunged this up, I might actually still jump ship. It was supposed to be the one thing I was waiting to see if LP8 would incorporate... the other features look splendid, but considering we do all our work with outboard, this is becoming a pain in the yarrrrrrr....
UH-OH

mmm it DOES have automatic plugin latency compensation.
the I/O plugin IS a plugin right?
and that DOES have latency...
please someone test this and report back?
Old 13th September 2007
  #306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Lee View Post
.... I don't get how people can own computers and not try to understand how they work.
oooh that's easy to accomplish.
LOL
Old 13th September 2007
  #307
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murray View Post
They did say that. But with nothing mentioned in any of the official documentation, I'm getting the feeling it's either a cruel joke by a website designer, or perhaps a reference to some other feature that doesn't include latency compensation. If they bunged this up, I might actually still jump ship. It was supposed to be the one thing I was waiting to see if LP8 would incorporate... the other features look splendid, but considering we do all our work with outboard, this is becoming a pain in the yarrrrrrr....
I agree, thats a HUUUUUGE one. I hope it works.
Old 13th September 2007
  #308
Dor
Lives for gear
 
Dor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanojohn View Post
Emeryville, CA... I do believe the san fran store has a bunch too
I called them around noon but they didn't have the upgrades & no clue as to when they were getting them. Did you buy full retail?

D
Old 13th September 2007
  #309
Lives for gear
 
mixerguy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
mmm it DOES have automatic plugin latency compensation.
the I/O plugin IS a plugin right?
and that DOES have latency...
please someone test this and report back?
I made a thread for just this very info...

Logic 8 deal with outboard hardware delay compensation?

Old 13th September 2007
  #310
Lives for gear
 

can someone chime in with macbook performance later?
Old 13th September 2007
  #311
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
I made a thread for just this very info...

Logic 8 deal with outboard hardware delay compensation?

I saw it yes LOL
Old 13th September 2007
  #312
Gear Head
 
doktahyde's Avatar
 

On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 13th September 2007
  #313
Lives for gear
 
Matthew Murray's Avatar
 

I'm thinking it's bad news, boys.

There's no way they would have built this in, and yet not tout it in the documentation.

The I/O plugin has been around forever, and so has plug-in delay compensation. It's not looking like they integrated the two, otherwise they would have bragged about it.
Old 13th September 2007
  #314
Quote:
Originally Posted by doktahyde View Post
I recently took the Logic 101 course at Pyramind in San FranSiCKO AND i feel sort of CheATed becauSe i kickeD down likE 8 BENJi's for an 8 weeK coursE. My teacher kept dropping hints about the new upgrade it was a little more than the forums i've reAd and all the speculation. Suspicious very suspicious indeed. every week he'd tell us sumfing newe but swear he did'nt know anything. I had the opportunity t re-up for the 201 course and opted not to because of all the hints now this happens WhiCh is great but I dropped 8 of em on a defunct class and I am sort of angry I didn't know enough about the upgrade before hand to wait on the Logic EIGHT 101 class. I also dont feel like I am in an exclusive bunch anymore with the HUGE priCe drop. But Oh WeLL.. Apple is in a positioN we aLL wisH we Were in with thE abilitY to FueL speculatioN and mAke userS whosE livelihooD depend on THEM WAiT likE crazy. Glad it'S herE butWoulD sum onE frum the almighTy AppLE refund MY eIGHT laRGE for aLLowinG me to TakE a Class U knEw was to go inTo eXtinxion leSS thaN a montH aftEr coMpletion!! PM me PlayA! But YAy Tab 2 TraNsienTsheh Woo Hoo

p.S. aPPLe/ApogEe coRp pleaSe knocK dowN the pricE on The RoseTTA 8 hunnid and AD/DA xLInE siNce duet is so Easy to maKe! man GivE me a SoldeRing Iron and the RosettA ScheMatiCs sO i caN cakE u2. Put Me on man Put me On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
not so worthless.. it seems to me that apart from the arrange window and general interface facelift little has changed about the workflow of ... for instance, the environment -- or mixer or plugins.. it really looks like the same app.

if you've got soldering urges, you could get a behrringgner and mod the **** out of it
you'll be missing the clock, but IMO it beats scarring an expensive apogee which is already good.

or you could pass by here, got a whole bag full of cables that need resoldering
Old 13th September 2007
  #315
Lives for gear
 
Tibbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar10003 View Post
Can anyone verfy the TDM RTAS AS support.
i have some audiosuite and tdm plugs i can run in PTools LE (vocalign) but it appears you can only use these if you have the PTools HD version - is that true.

there are some RTAS AS TDM only plugs I would love to use
TDM and AS yes, RTAS no.
Old 13th September 2007
  #316
Lives for gear
 
pounce's Avatar
 

mine has shipped and i have the tracking number, so soon i'll have it in my grubby mitts.
Old 13th September 2007
  #317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murray View Post
I'm thinking it's bad news, boys.

There's no way they would have built this in, and yet not tout it in the documentation.

The I/O plugin has been around forever, and so has plug-in delay compensation. It's not looking like they integrated the two, otherwise they would have bragged about it.
the same shady feeling is creeping up on me...
LOL 3 years' development, fancy new rewrite, new core, new editing in arrange ... and no auto latency compensation...

but let's wait till someone tests it, before jumping to conclusions
Old 13th September 2007
  #318
Dor
Lives for gear
 
Dor's Avatar
I'll have my update tomorrow!! Just received my Fed Ex tracking number.
Old 13th September 2007
  #319
I just got a copy from the apple store. Pasadena should have a few tomorrow. Make sure they have the right upgrade version if you are just upgrading. They have the upgrade from the big box and express too. I got a full version.

Let you know how it rocks first thing.
Old 13th September 2007
  #320
Lives for gear
 
Tibbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by doktahyde View Post
I recently took the Logic 101 course at Pyramind in San FranSiCKO AND i feel sort of CheATed becauSe i kickeD down likE 8 BENJi's for an 8 weeK coursE. My teacher kept dropping hints about the new upgrade it was a little more than the forums i've reAd and all the speculation. Suspicious very suspicious indeed. every week he'd tell us sumfing newe but swear he did'nt know anything. I had the opportunity t re-up for the 201 course and opted not to because of all the hints now this happens WhiCh is great but I dropped 8 of em on a defunct class and I am sort of angry I didn't know enough about the upgrade before hand to wait on the Logic EIGHT 101 class. I also dont feel like I am in an exclusive bunch anymore with the HUGE priCe drop. But Oh WeLL.. Apple is in a positioN we aLL wisH we Were in with thE abilitY to FueL speculatioN and mAke userS whosE livelihooD depend on THEM WAiT likE crazy. Glad it'S herE butWoulD sum onE frum the almighTy AppLE refund MY eIGHT laRGE for aLLowinG me to TakE a Class U knEw was to go inTo eXtinxion leSS thaN a montH aftEr coMpletion!! PM me PlayA! But YAy Tab 2 TraNsienTsheh Woo Hoo

p.S. aPPLe/ApogEe coRp pleaSe knocK dowN the pricE on The RoseTTA 8 hunnid and AD/DA xLInE siNce duet is so Easy to maKe! man GivE me a SoldeRing Iron and the RosettA ScheMatiCs sO i caN cakE u2. Put Me on man Put me On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Christ man, it would give me an mental condition to type like that.

Why the hell should Apogee knock down the price on that stuff? That's pointless. Let's be realistic people. These companies are in business.

If they are so easy to make, then make you own converters. People have done it. Apogee is just people.

800 for an 8 week course seems like a deal to me. My company gives training sessions and they are about $650/day/person. On a different technology, but still.

If you can't apply what you learned in a Logic 7 class to Logic 8, then you didn't learn very well. It's an upgrade, not a totally different beast. Your sense of paranoia towards your teacher, or that he was scamming you is totally unfounded. Maybe he was writing a book on Logic 8 and was under an NDA. Do you think he'd give up his publishing deal, breach an NDA, stop training or get sued just do you could have the "inside scoop" or feel like you got more for your money? Forget it man.

If your livelyhood depended on Logic 8 vs Logic 7, then I'd say you weren't a very good engineer to begin with, and are likely needing to find another career. It's just a tool. There's no exclusivity. There is no club. Any such concepts are grand delusions.

Why should Apple not let you take a training class? It's business. It's money. It's investors. It only makes sense. Apple isn't going to announce and say, "EVERYONE STOP THE PRESSES. NO MORE TRAINING". The training course was $800. It's not much money. Stop whining. Don't act like you think that technology freezes when you buy it.

Get a grip, grow up and grow some, and learn to type like a decent human being. Please find a new career, because if I came into a studio and someone who talked like you type was the engineer, assistant or even intern I would walk out.
Old 13th September 2007
  #321
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Only if the crackers can't get MacOS X running on their PC first...

already done and working good if you do your research apparently,

Main Page - OSx86
Old 13th September 2007
  #322
Deleted 86c3d96
Guest
Bought it!

I am finishing my install as I type.
Old 13th September 2007
  #323
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doktahyde View Post
I recently took the Logic 101 course at Pyramind in San FranSiCKO AND i feel sort of CheATed becauSe i kickeD down likE 8 BENJi's for an 8 weeK coursE. My teacher kept dropping hints about the new upgrade it was a little more than the forums i've reAd and all the speculation. Suspicious very suspicious indeed. every week he'd tell us sumfing newe but swear he did'nt know anything. I had the opportunity t re-up for the 201 course and opted not to because of all the hints now this happens WhiCh is great but I dropped 8 of em on a defunct class and I am sort of angry I didn't know enough about the upgrade before hand to wait on the Logic EIGHT 101 class. I also dont feel like I am in an exclusive bunch anymore with the HUGE priCe drop. But Oh WeLL.. Apple is in a positioN we aLL wisH we Were in with thE abilitY to FueL speculatioN and mAke userS whosE livelihooD depend on THEM WAiT likE crazy. Glad it'S herE butWoulD sum onE frum the almighTy AppLE refund MY eIGHT laRGE for aLLowinG me to TakE a Class U knEw was to go inTo eXtinxion leSS thaN a montH aftEr coMpletion!! PM me PlayA! But YAy Tab 2 TraNsienTsheh Woo Hoo

p.S. aPPLe/ApogEe coRp pleaSe knocK dowN the pricE on The RoseTTA 8 hunnid and AD/DA xLInE siNce duet is so Easy to maKe! man GivE me a SoldeRing Iron and the RosettA ScheMatiCs sO i caN cakE u2. Put Me on man Put me On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
STRAIGHT UP THIS IS THE
BEST LAUGH OF THE DAY
Old 13th September 2007
  #324
Lives for gear
 
theblotted's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Lee View Post
To all those people who are crying about it not being 64bit and thus no more than 4Gb RAM in use... It can't be 64bit before Apple releases Leopard. I don't get how people can own computers and not try to understand how they work.
if this is directed at me; i don't recall anybody crying about no 64bits. is it official?

it's still a question that holds validity, whether Apple is going to do this or not. FYI, Tiger can/did do 64bit calculation. it's the App's implementation of 64bit into the OS that makes the difference.
Apple - Mac OS X - 64-bit

if i'm not understanding it right, perhaps you can share with us properly your understanding of it.

the only "real" indication that it will be 64bit is from oscwilde @ Sonikmatter, whom from his posts seems to know his stuff.. tho i can't find any official word from Apple.

...yet.
Old 13th September 2007
  #325
Gear Head
 
doktahyde's Avatar
 

800 for an 8 week course seems like a deal to me.

sdsd
Old 13th September 2007
  #326
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by doktahyde View Post
ISs THaT cLEAr 2 u PAPeR MaDE pLASTikk mannnn!!!
Wow, I really like paper made plastic man. Thats a cool name. I don't think I would take that one as an insult personally.

The point is, Logic 7 will run basically the same as Logic 8. So you should be golden.
Old 13th September 2007
  #327
Lives for gear
 
theblotted's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doktahyde View Post
AxuaLLy it WasnT thaT muCh aT aLL MORON paPER mADE Man. ThE wHo0le poiNt if U didNt geT it is Why host a LogiC 7 101 CoURSE WHEn THe ClaSS IS goINg 2 b INvAlID 2 wEEx LATeR? ISs THaT cLEAr 2 u PAPeR MaDE pLASTikk mannnn!!!
is there some logic behind why you type like this?
Old 13th September 2007
  #328
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted View Post
is there some logic behind why you type like this?
Serial killer comes to mind
Old 13th September 2007
  #329
Lives for gear
 
mixerguy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Serial killer comes to mind
thumbsup
Old 13th September 2007
  #330
Gear Nut
 
tyro's Avatar
 

I found this in the logic pro 8 technical specs:

"Internal audio resolution: 32-bit floating point; 64-bit precision where required".

Don't really know what to make of that, "where required" seems like a strange expression to me... might it be that the summing buss is 64-bit? or that the whole app is 64-bit under leopard? don't know at all, just wanted to point out that there is a reference to 64-bit at least at one place in the documentation (if it had not been done before in this thread).

Now... how about that latency compensated hardware insert thing? everybody seems to think it's not there now? it would royally suck if it's not implemented by now. so, I ask again, anyone with v8 installed, please route something out to a HW compressor or something, record it back and see if it's delay compensated or not!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Dr Gruv / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
Dr Gruv / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump