The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's a solid and reliable laptop?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Question What's a solid and reliable laptop?

I need a laptop for live use to play back 8 stereotracks, so it doesn't have to be the fastest, but it needs to be rock solid and sturdy. Which company would you recommend?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I had an old Toshiba P3 notebook years ago which recorded and played back tracks effortlessly, usually I could get up to 24 tracks with VST plugins chugging away, so anything new will be more than powerful enough for playback.
As far as brands go, I had luck before with Toshiba, my girlfriend's Dell works well on the odd occassion I play around with it. My computer guru friend recommends IBM Thinkpads... I guess just stay away from the cheapy low end laptops in general if you don't want to just surf the interwebs.
I'm considering getting an HP mainly for writing and internets, but someone I know has been having good luck with his running music software so it will be nice to have something as a backup/travel companion.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search