The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
virtual guitar amp software..comments please. Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 12th September 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
 

virtual guitar amp software..comments please.

Studio Devil - VST Virtual Tube Amplification and Guitar Effects
anyone been useing the above ??
tracks/demo sound interesting.
a good friend told me about it.
are there any others. ??
that are interesting ??

just looking for some open honest discussion
on pc guitar amp emulation software.
cos it seems the landscape has changed rapidly in this pc software area.
and will continue to do so.

my needs are..to summarise.
1. dont bog down a pc.
2. dont cost a bundle.
3. sound great with lots of variety n good sounds etc.
4. no dongles etc.
Old 12th September 2007
  #2
Gear Addict
 

Hi!

Never heard of Studio Devil before. Seems not to come with a cabinet emulation.

A nice, free Guitar Amp plugin to start with is GSuite by SimulAnalog. Very decent Marshall sound, nice on CPU, sound variability is somewhat limited. My favorite native Guitar plugin, definitely.

Some like Voxengo Boogex, which did not work great in my case but is of course dependent on the instrument and taste as well. It is free and native and thus worth a try.

A guitar plugin that gets great reviews is Amplitube by IK Multimedia, which may not match your "dont cost a bundle" requirement.

The Guitar plugin I use most is UAD Nigel but this requires a DSP card (UAD-1) which might fall under your definition of "dongles etc.". The UAD-1 is too expensive if you don't want to use the other effects that come with it.

Try SimulAnalog, is my first advice.

Cheers, Thomas

PS: I have a real tube amp, and if I want it to sound like a tube amp, I use it. Anyway, in the vast majority of cases, it is easier for me to find a sound I like "in the box".
Old 12th September 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
I like studiodveil..it seems to be dialed up for that particular "small guitar" sound in the demo, but it sounds real good. I am glad to see these Ampsim makers catching on and not wasting time on developing crappy speaker emus. Just give us a killer preamp and let us use impulses for a much more realistic sounding guitar tone.
Old 13th September 2007
  #4
Gear Addict
 

what's impulses?

Hey Methlab,

this sounds interesting and makes me curious. So you have a killer preamp somewhere in your Inserts chain, I suppose.

* Do you consider StudioDevil a killer preamp?
* What comes after the preamp in your inserts chain? Any speaker sim? EQ?
* What do you mean by "let us use impulses"?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid. I really don't know and hope I can learn something here.

Cheers, Thomas
Old 13th September 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
frans's Avatar
Methlab, your Avatar is ... errr.. appealing. Do I sound like a spoilsport when I mention I'd really like to see a amp/cabsim that does it for me? Amplitude, Nigel, Pod, well.. I still have to set up the whole chain from Amp to input - and mind you, I am lazy, but I have to.
Old 13th September 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 

i'm aware of simulanalog.
fyi ive been mucking around a lot with freeamp.
lots of crazy stuff.
but this studio devil got me v interested .
i heard a bass trak done with it by a mate.
n really started to change my notion that software was haveing a rough time
produceing good sounds.
Old 13th September 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermusik View Post
Hey Methlab,

this sounds interesting and makes me curious. So you have a killer preamp somewhere in your Inserts chain, I suppose.

* Do you consider StudioDevil a killer preamp?
* What comes after the preamp in your inserts chain? Any speaker sim? EQ?
* What do you mean by "let us use impulses"?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid. I really don't know and hope I can learn something here.

Cheers, Thomas
It COULD be. Honestly, the demo is just one setting and one particular sound. Yes, the speaker Sim is next in the chain. I use speaker impulses in it. You can download Voxengo Boogex for free and turn everything to zero so just the speaker impulse is what you hear. Then you can download the impluses for free by using google and load them up in there...done.
Old 14th September 2007
  #8
Gear Addict
 

Methlab,

thanks a lot for sharing the info. Makes a lot of sense to me. Did not know that there were impulses for speakers as well (only heard of impulses in connection with reverb so far) and that Boogex uses them.

I'll give it a try.

Cheers, Thomas
Old 14th September 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Flying_Dutchman's Avatar
 

i just listened to the demo and well....

i dont want to offend sb, but this doesnt sound like a real amp
Old 15th September 2007
  #10
amplitube is pretty decent, and very easy to use. i really dig guitar rig as well, just for the extensive options in terms of cabs and FX and stuff. obviously miking up a real speaker is always preferred, but for demos, or layered tracks that you know will be low in a mix, simulated guitar setups are just dandy. don't know if i'd use one for a solo quite yet, although software is really catching up in this regard.

best of luck
Old 9th November 2007
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
Pfhuck's Avatar
 

So I just tried out the Studio Devil VST thingy at my buddies house....

I was VERY IMPRESSED with the high gain tones!!!

Best METAL tones I've heard so far in pluggo land!!!

I like the interface too!

Simple.

Powerful!!

We didn't try any cab impulses, yet..... (check the sneap forums for these).

Just had fun playing guitar!!!


Please and thank you,
Pfhuck
Old 9th November 2007
  #12
Lives for gear
 
AlphaDingo's Avatar
 

revalver mk 2.
Old 9th November 2007
  #13
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Dutchman View Post
i just listened to the demo and well....

i dont want to offend sb, but this doesnt sound like a real amp
I have never heard a good demo from an amp sim company. The only way you can make it sound like a real amp is to use implulses and really spend time on dialing up a sound.
Old 18th September 2011
  #14
Lives for gear
I like the studio devil stuff quite a bit. I didn't really like many of their presets but after playing around with it for a little I've been impressed. I REALLY like their bass amp pro, I think it's one of the best bass sims out there.
Old 18th September 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
Kuassa Creme
Old 19th September 2011
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermusik View Post
Hi!

Never heard of Studio Devil before. Seems not to come with a cabinet emulation.

A nice, free Guitar Amp plugin to start with is GSuite by SimulAnalog. Very decent Marshall sound, nice on CPU, sound variability is somewhat limited. My favorite native Guitar plugin, definitely.

Some like Voxengo Boogex, which did not work great in my case but is of course dependent on the instrument and taste as well. It is free and native and thus worth a try.

A guitar plugin that gets great reviews is Amplitube by IK Multimedia, which may not match your "dont cost a bundle" requirement.

The Guitar plugin I use most is UAD Nigel but this requires a DSP card (UAD-1) which might fall under your definition of "dongles etc.". The UAD-1 is too expensive if you don't want to use the other effects that come with it.

Try SimulAnalog, is my first advice.

Cheers, Thomas

PS: I have a real tube amp, and if I want it to sound like a tube amp, I use it. Anyway, in the vast majority of cases, it is easier for me to find a sound I like "in the box".
Yup you can try out AmpliTube 3 FREE and see if you like the tones.
Old 11th April 2015
  #17
Here for the gear
 

Best virtual amp I've found so far is TSE-50.

Great options has awesome cabinet ability and only 50 euros. No bogging down just nice.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Roger Starr / Music Computers
123
RainbowStorm / So much gear, so little time
0
manning1 / So much gear, so little time
18
siegfried / So much gear, so little time
4

Forum Jump
Forum Jump