The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Swap MBP (LED 2.2) for new iMac Studio Headphones
Old 11th September 2007
Here for the gear

Smile Swap MBP (LED 2.2) for new iMac

I have a MBP, the trader has a new iMac 2.4, they are both 1 month old and he will throw $$$ for another gig of RAM.

Now, for video, the MBP is better, I do mostly audio, but here is what I would lose (need to see audio benchmarks on new LED 2.2) and the GPU is better on the MBP, but I would lose FIRMTEK Express card (ability to RAID to eSATA 7200 drives for SAMPLE LIBRARIES) but would gain a small bump in FPU for soft synths.......

So would you do it? Even though you could raid 2 hd's and add a 1900x1400 or 1900x1200 if you wanted to? Or would you trade?

I'm not sure what to do. Both are new. I could also hold out and try to get $1800+ as I have installed iLife, Iworks, and Adobe Web Premiun (cousin works for Adobe) and then use Apple friend and buy for $1600 or so, maybe $1700 a 2.8 iMAC.

The iMAC works okay for video, but only when safe is turned on or RAM PREVIEW.

PS any BENCHMARKS for AUDIO on NEW iMacs?

I know I would lose some stuff, but I could also buy a larger monitor as well and an old article (1st gen MBP with first UB logic) showed dramatic increases. So I assume this is even faster. And with NEW OS coming soon, speed bump of 20-30%.

Also, I know there is a new FCP coming (its been seen) and wondering if new Logic is coming.

Anyway, what would you do? I lose portability, but gain a large HD and large SCREEN for a swap.

My purpose:
a) Music, drums (DrumCore), guitar, vocals, etc.
b) Score trailers, once scored a trailer using Acid made $10,000.

But both would use softsynths.

If you look at the FIRMTEK review you will notice that the internal is a 7200 RPM whereas the RAID is almost triple and I would use it for EWQLSO, or VSL (when UB) as well as any soft synths for sound design.

The large screen would cost me nothing if I swapped and would get a smal FPU bump, or I could hold out and wait for $1800, which I was offered and missed out as I snoozed on it as I had not researched enough.....whereas the person that wants the MBP does video and this GPU is indeed stronger.

I tested 5 or so iMacs motorcycle demos (Apple store) and they all stuttered when you add a few FX or transitions whereas NONE of the MBP exhibited this at all. Then again, audio is my game, but I lose the RAID function, but would have to spend the cash on the two HD's, the card (Express Firmteck) and a large monitor, whereas tomorrow I could trade and be done with it, but am NOT CLEAR on how well the iMacs and FW800 are speed wise, e.g. can it run a sample library, FX EXTREME, VSL?

Thanks, your help is appreciated....as welas guidance, support, direction.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox View Post
I have a MBP, the trader has a new iMac 2.4, they are both 1 month old and he will throw $$$ for another gig of RAM.

Now, for video, the MBP is better, I do mostly audio, but here is what I would lose (need to see audio benchmarks on new LED 2.2) and the GPU is better on the MBP, but I would lose FIRMTEK Express card (ability to RAID to eSATA 7200 drives for SAMPLE LIBRARIES) but would gain a small bump in FPU for soft synths.......

So would you do it? Even though you could raid 2 hd's and add a 1900x1400 or 1900x1200 if you wanted to? Or would you trade?

I'm not sure what to do. Both are new. I could also hold out and try to get $1800+ as I have installed iLife, Iworks, and Adobe Web Premiun (cousin works for Adobe) and then use Apple friend and buy for $1600 or so, maybe $1700 a 2.8 iMAC.

The iMAC works okay for video, but only when safe is turned on or RAM PREVIEW.

PS any BENCHMARKS for AUDIO on NEW iMacs?

I know I would lose some stuff, but I could also buy a larger monitor as well and an old article (1st gen MBP with first UB logic) showed dramatic increases. So I assume this is even faster. And with NEW OS coming soon, speed bump of 20-30%.

Also, I know there is a new FCP coming (its been seen) and wondering if new Logic is coming.

Anyway, what would you do? I lose portability, but gain a large HD and large SCREEN for a swap.

My purpose:
a) Music, drums (DrumCore), guitar, vocals, etc.
b) Score trailers, once scored a trailer using Acid made $10,000.

But both would use softsynths.

If you look at the FIRMTEK review you will notice that the internal is a 7200 RPM whereas the RAID is almost triple and I would use it for EWQLSO, or VSL (when UB) as well as any soft synths for sound design.

The large screen would cost me nothing if I swapped and would get a smal FPU bump, or I could hold out and wait for $1800, which I was offered and missed out as I snoozed on it as I had not researched enough.....whereas the person that wants the MBP does video and this GPU is indeed stronger.

I tested 5 or so iMacs motorcycle demos (Apple store) and they all stuttered when you add a few FX or transitions whereas NONE of the MBP exhibited this at all. Then again, audio is my game, but I lose the RAID function, but would have to spend the cash on the two HD's, the card (Express Firmteck) and a large monitor, whereas tomorrow I could trade and be done with it, but am NOT CLEAR on how well the iMacs and FW800 are speed wise, e.g. can it run a sample library, FX EXTREME, VSL?

Thanks, your help is appreciated....as welas guidance, support, direction.
Tough call. First off you will get a speed bump and a huge display which means more plugins. But then again you could buy a 7200 internal (if you use it at home most of the time) and express car for raiding two HD's for samples.

Not to sure what would happen if you connect (iMac) 800 FW and if it would be fast enough and what happens if your interface is 400FW?, does is slow down 800HD? I don't think so, I think thats only when you daisy chain them together.

Someone else might have more experience.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search