The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
quadcore/sx3 woes
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

quadcore/sx3 woes

My cubase meter shows almost 100% while windows performance meter shows 25% useage with only one of the four cores showing full activity.

I think sx3 is addressing only one of the four cores!! what should i do?

i'm running intel quadcore 2.4 ghz w/4 GB ram (of which windows sees only 3GB) and sx3...

as an example, on this song, i'm using 2 midi tracks and 8 audio tracks with the following

1 x NI B4-II
1 x Addictive Drums

1 x Realverb Pro, 2 x La2A and 1 x 1176, 1 x Pultec from my UAD-1

2 x Waves Linear Phase Eq, 2 x Waves L2

1 x Ampeg SVT

1 x Sx3 double delay, 2 x channel eqs

4 x (actually, 3x) NI Guitar rig

By the 4th instance of guitar rig, the machine starts freaking out... buffer setting of 128 works very well up until this point.

please help with suggestions.

thanks in advance
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Guru

Do you have the multiprocessor box checked in preferences? I have a quadcore and it works great with Nuendo 3 here.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you have the multiprocessor box checked in preferences?
thanks for the suggestion... but yes.

between my last post and this one, i've been able to confirm that it is in fact overloading much earlier than acceptable. BTW, the sound card is a MOTU 2408 Mk3 with tha latest drivers, buffer size is 128 and latency is reported by cubase as 3.x ms.

thanks again, and am sincerely looking for some assistance here.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

How many UAD-1 cards are you running? The Cubase/Nuendo engine has a well documented multi-core bug.. but as far as I know it really only affects high PCI bandwith situations, like high I/O count or UAD-1 usage. Also, it affects the Intel 8 core systems much worse than the quad cores.

I would try taking the UAD-1 cards out of the system and running the same project again to see if that makes a difference.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

hmm. no issues here with 2 dual core processors... 4 uad's and rme 9652.

i guess ya gotta yank out those cards and see what happens.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

that's the same that happens to me...

cubase sx2, 1xuad, rme 9652...

Once I saw 2 cores in action, but not more than that ... and still it was highly asymetrical. Multiprocessing switch doesn't make any difference. I had no time to solve it...

(btw I thought upgrading cubase will solve it ;( )
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiothings View Post
My cubase meter shows almost 100% while windows performance meter shows 25% useage with only one of the four cores showing full activity.

I think sx3 is addressing only one of the four cores!! what should i do?

This issue has been reported before by a Nuendo user, who also just happens to be using Guitar Rig II as well..

Read in Here

In theory the threading across multiple cores is handled by SX/Nuendo , the plugins themselves do not need to be multithreaded, well thats the theory, however, this seems to indicate that there does need to be some MT capability within the Plugins themselves, - which Guitar Rig seems to have neglected..

Peace

V:
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Head

dropouts

hi some problems here with quad an cubase....
im using asus p5k + intel q6600 + 2GB corsair RAM 800MHz + rme hammerfall 9636 + cubase sx3

cubase is using all 4 cores ...but i have dropouts.. means that all 2 or 3 minutes there are crakles a few milliseconds.. the problem is they are also in recording mode.. and also if there is only one audio file playing.. and no plugin in the hole project....

and the crackles are only in the playback not in the files.. if i record and this happens ther are no crackles in the recorded file.. only on the headphone...

edit: if i correct the latency to 1024(23ms) and deactivate multi prozessor it runns without dropouts=?.... but with this latency i can only do direct monitoring... dont like that.. is this a software problem-

should i upgrade to cubase 4? or is this a problem with this new mainboard / chipset...

Last edited by big-king-rb; 13th September 2007 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: audio card
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

have you made a fresh install of your OS?

i want to buy an q6600 instead of my e6600 for nuendo, but am waiting.

i heard, that you can´t just change the cpu, cause it won´t be recognised correctly.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

haha eddie!!! i checked 2 times my lcd cause i thought "something" is running on my screen dfegad

great!
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Addict

q6600 and sx3

Hi ,
I have a new q6600 , 4 gigs ram , xp home 32 bit, and 3 UAD-1 cards..

MY cubase meter shows like 50percent, but my task manager shows all 4 cpu's..
Cpu 1 running like 30 percent and the other 3 like 20 percent...
so I think u should IGNORE the Cubase meter and look at the task manager..

i'm running an mbox and found that 256 samples does have pops n clicks...i went to 128 ( 4 tracking ) and it works fine..
256 definately had an issue

try 128 or 512 buffer 4 your card...that might work..
do u have a 2nd drive 4 audio?
Old 15th September 2007
js1
Lives for gear

Yeah, take the Cubase meter with Quad Core with a grain of salt.

I too am running SX3 with 2 UADs and Powercore with a Q6600. Multiprocessing works fine. I've run a Guitar Rig 2 demo with it, and didn't have an issue with the multiprocessing either.

Gee, the most helpful kind of post - "Mine Works!".

I'm assuming those people that have had multiprocessor issues with SX3 have verified that multiprocessing works correctly period. Some BIOSes let you disable multiprocessing, which will be reflected in the System Control Panel - you'll see only one processor defined instead of 4.

But here's something that I did find out that hopefully will be helpful to some. There was a number of recent multiprocessor patches to Windows XP. These aren't optional. They address stability, and low level kernel multiprocessor performance. I had all manner of issues trying to get rid of clicks and pops, and had to screw around with PCI bus latencies and video card transfer rates, etc. The patches entirely got rid of this problem.

Get 'em.

js
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

1) Nuendo and cubase multiprocessing works this way:

track1 = core1
track2 = core2
track3 = core3
track4 = core4
track5 = core1
track6 = core2

so each track is assigned to it's core and all the plugs applied on that track are going to use only that core (that's why that NI guitar things are loading only one core and not other(s))

2) In my case multiprocessing works with other apps, but not with cubase. For ex. 3DS MAX renderings are very very fast and saturate all the cores to 100%. But cubase, no matter how I set it up, does't use more than one core (ok once or twice saw some asymetrical load in two cores, but that's hardly satisfying, isn't it)

Still need to do other things to do, but after that I need to solve it...
Old 15th September 2007
js1
Lives for gear

OK, one more thought.

There are preferences files in the Documents and Settings/<user name>/Application Data/Steinberg/Cubase SX 3 directory. They are all .xml files. It's not unknown for them to get messed up, and I had a problem that required me to delete all those files. But, back up these files so you can restore them if you need to.

If you delete them, Cubase will set them up from scratch again. And you'll have to do your setting up again.

The Defaults.xml has the tag that enables multiprocessing. For multiprocessing to be active it should read:

<int name="MultiProcessing" value="1"/>

There should be one, and only one of these in that file.

Gee, and I had thought that you only had to trash prefs with Logic.

js
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post
have

MAN! Your avatar bug just made me put an greasy thumbprint on my clean monitor!! damn you!! You got me!!
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJ View Post
MAN! Your avatar bug just made me put an greasy thumbprint on my clean monitor!! damn you!! You got me!!
Caught me on that too! Great avatar!thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Hello,

What system are you using. Do you mind giving us specs. I am going to build a new quad core system and would like to know what works. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdude View Post
hmm. no issues here with 2 dual core processors... 4 uad's and rme 9652.

i guess ya gotta yank out those cards and see what happens.
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Addict

my sys...

q6600
asus commando (4 pci slots)
2 seagate 500gig sata drives 16mb buffer
4 gigs corsair ram
750 watt modular power supply
4 rack space case.ziroctec

3 UAD-1 cards

xp 32 bit

runs FLAWLESS!!!
Old 11th December 2007
Lives for gear

I just had a quad core 2.66 Intel DAW built by ADK and I am having some of the same issues. So far I have narrowed it down to my UAD cards and the problem being only one of them.

I have a new PCIe and an old Mackie UAD1 card.

The Mackie card is culprit and is causing alot of problems. Take it out and all of the sudden Samplitude opens in 3 seconds instead of 30 seconds.

I have called UAD and they are having an RMA guy call me back to replace as it seems to be a known issue.

btw, I noticed that the Mackie UAD got very hot...I don't mean normal hot I mean can't touch the plastic hot and left a black mark on the bottom of my DAW because it was baking the paint!

Just wanted to post here because I have spent 4 weeks trying to get my DAW up and running and has been shipped back forth from KY to TN twice. Hopefully is will be the fix!
Old 11th December 2007
Here for the gear

Someone mentioned them but:

Multiprocessor performance patch KB896256.
Stability patches for multiprocessors - KB936357, KB938828.

If you search Microsoft updates for those that might sort your problems....
Old 11th December 2007
Lives for gear

Man... that doesn't sound right guys. On a single Quad Core system (Intel Core 2 Quad), you should not experience any of that kind of trouble.

I am building those systems for clients at a pretty frantic rate these days with no issues like that at all.

I have one here... with 3 UAD-1 PCI, 1 UAD-1 PCIe, 2.66ghz processor, 4GB memory, 3GB switch, XP-32, and FF-800 as sound card and it is running like a champ! No weird issues, nothing. I would suspect perhaps something else.... like hardware choice, or something like that. Nothing against Scott at ADK as he is a friend (and competitor)... but that setup is superbly rock solid here.

Oh... and no I will not tell you what motherboard, video card, memory, etc.. I use.

lol.
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

Steve,

What revision of the UAD cards are you mixing with. It is very specific early Mackie UAD-1 cards. Revision 1.00 JB

My UAD PCIe works fantastic in the system.

However, if it doesn't work out with the fixes maybe I will have to pay you to work your magic with my tower.
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
Man... that doesn't sound right guys. On a single Quad Core system (Intel Core 2 Quad), you should not experience any of that kind of trouble.

I am building those systems for clients at a pretty frantic rate these days with no issues like that at all.

I have one here... with 3 UAD-1 PCI, 1 UAD-1 PCIe, 2.66ghz processor, 4GB memory, 3GB switch, XP-32, and FF-800 as sound card and it is running like a champ! No weird issues, nothing. I would suspect perhaps something else.... like hardware choice, or something like that. Nothing against Scott at ADK as he is a friend (and competitor)... but that setup is superbly rock solid here.

Oh... and no I will not tell you what motherboard, video card, memory, etc.. I use.

lol.
Easy there bud,

your walking on the fence!

did you read what he said about the old Mackie card?
you of all people should know they are trouble.
you know dang well i have 4 UADs and an RME interface running perfectly on my systems.

Scott
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
Easy there bud,

your walking on the fence!

did you read what he said about the old Mackie card?
you of all people should know they are trouble.
you know dang well i have 4 UADs and an RME interface running perfectly on my systems.

Scott
Walking what fence? I thought it was pretty clear in my post that I was not fauting you. I am sure you are working with your client very diligently to solve whatever problem he has just like both of us do when issues pop up. All I am saying is that I have a configuration going here where those issues just don't come up. However with as many possible combinations of hardware as there are... I am sure someone will throw some add-on at me at some point that might cause this rig to stumble. So far... no issues though.

To clarify...though Scott is a competitor, I have nothing bad to say about him or his computers. He is a good guy, and one of the leading DAW builders for a reason.

To those that ask... I have a mixture of UAD-1 cards. I have them from very, very early on.... all the way up to VERY new PCIe cards. I will check the revision numbers when I get to work tomorrow.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search