The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Size of Harddrive
Old 11th September 2007
Here for the gear

Size of Harddrive

Gday all, I am building a new PC for PTLE(Mbox2Pro factory), with Q6600 , Asus P5K(P35 chpset,no wifi),Corsair 2Gb 800Mhz 4-4-4-12 DDR2, and wonder why the size of the boot drive is always much smaller than the recording drive, given the cheapness of HD storage, ie why not 2 350G's ,rather than the typical 70G and 350G? thanks!
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

'cuz you don't need 350GB for a boot disk. You can use the spare space for backup or whatever. My new box has RAID on the motherboard. I'm using mirrored disks - 320Gb for boot/programs/backup data. 400 GB for active data.

Mirrored disks are a lot faster than single disks, plus you are (for the most part) protected from a hard disk failure.
Old 11th September 2007
Here for the gear

thanks for the quick reply zemlin, this is for PTLE and the Avid site says clearly not to use raid, so its only a question of size vs speed? if thats relevant? The previous thread tells me how to partion etc, but why not spend a few more bucks for more storage,unless that somehow degrades performance, cheers!
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Not a PT user myself ... so consider the source. Small disks are not faster.
Old 12th September 2007
Here for the gear

A second hard drive is best for any audio recording as it lets the OS and all other functions use one hard drive and the recording program access the other. In turn its faster and more stable. Although with a decent computer and a fast hard drive you shouldn't worry too much.

If you do decide to go with a second hard drive look for one with faster seek time and fast RPM. The size depends on how much space you plan on using. So thats totally up to you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search