The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
negative delay and "external effects" in cubase/nuendo Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd April 2011
Gear Head

Good tips. Thanks.
Not the end of the world this problem, but hope they work out something soon
Old 13th August 2011
Gear Nut

hm. I've still got the problem. not much fun for reamping!
Old 25th August 2011
Seems impossible to get a definitive answer on this. I recently asked the same question on the RME forums and was told by Matthias that this is a fault with cubendo.

I'm using 2 RME Multiface 2 boxes in aggregate, synced with spdif.
The outboard effects are all cabled up with good quality cables and connectors.

When using external effects, the "ping" ALWAYS reports a delay of 0ms which is obviously not accurate. This is because cubendo cannot interpret these "negative" delay values.

I tested with logic 9 which correctly reports the "negative delay" so to me it seems the issue is the DAW and not the interface. Hopefully Steinberg will address this at some point because currently parallel processing with external FX in cubase is a real headache.

I just did the loopback test from the steinberg ftp and got some interesting results.

When looping back using totalmix (so no cables) the result was 90 samples early.
I adjusted record delay by -90 samples and the loopback aligned perfectly.

Then I added the API 2500 external effect and did the test again (after pinging the effect)

The result was 13 samples early.

I adjusted recording delay a further -13 samples and the recording lined up.

Then I added the clariphonic external effect and re-recorded after first pinging

The result was again 13 samples early.

So it seems I have to manually compensate -13 samples each time I add an external effect, in other words unless I'm doing something wrong, delay compensation/ping function is not working correctly, cubendo is incapable of accurately reporting delay on external effects with certain hardware.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search