The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
overclocking, who does it?
Old 30th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSW View Post
at the default 'blend' is not good enough, you have to use 'large FFT') etc.
And even if your OC is stable overall, some things might behave differently. For example, some systems won't resume from sleep when OC'd.
While my system is really stable when running, I am having this problem. Other than the sleep issue, it passes Prime95 large FFT stress test with flying colours and has a max temp of under 60 degrees C.

Firstly, do you have a suggested solution to this problem or maybe a plan of attack?

Some have said it relates to the PLL Override setting and others have said it's because the voltages required to re-initiate an OC'ed system from sleep do not have a quick enough rise time so it crashes mid-wake.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Old 30th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Why not simply prevent your system going to sleep or hibernating in the first place?

After all, since you are O/Cing already the extra expense and heat isn't an issue.
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

exactly a properly tuned system does NOT use any of the power saving features
all that junk is supposed to be turned off
Old 30th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
exactly a properly tuned system does NOT use any of the power saving features
all that junk is supposed to be turned off
Disagree, I have all power saving features on which come with the stock settings.

Not letting your CPU reduce clock speed and volt during easy tasks will degrade your CPU a lot quicker. Furthermore you produce more heat and the system gets louder overall (which is critical in a studio) I can even turn my fans off during tracking for a couple of minutes and my 3770K is at 4.5Ghz.

Despite it has got very easy to overclock (especially with Intels K-Series), a good overclock will still take some effort and time.
Old 30th October 2013
Gear Addict

Yeah, on the overclocking forums that I've read there are people getting success with sleep and some that aren't. I suspect this might have something to do with your specific motherboard and possibly the power supply. RAM has also been cited as a cause of this issue. When I initially got this machine and ran it stock it slept fine so maybe it's a voltage or memory timing issue?

I'm going to follow the official nForce overclocking guide for my specific motherboard and see if I can remedy the problem that way.

BTW, this machine is a nForce 780i (LGA775) with a Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz and I run three hard drives and a Geforce 9800GTX+. Do you think my PSU, which is a Huntkey Green 550W is ok? It's not running any other cards or anything. It's also got about three 220mm fans.

Cheers
Old 30th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldDumsfeld View Post
Why not simply prevent your system going to sleep or hibernating in the first place?

After all, since you are O/Cing already the extra expense and heat isn't an issue.
This has been my plan of action thus far. I tried other sleep state configurations like S1, which worked but kept the CPU fans rolling along with the GPU fan at full throttle. It was annoying so I switched it back to S3 and told Windows to prevent sleep. I also turned off hibernate with powercfg.exe at the command prompt.

I guess until I find a solution I just gotta be disciplined with switching it off when I'm not using it.

Cheers
Old 31st October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Do you think my PSU, which is a Huntkey Green 550W is ok?
It wouldn't be my first suspect but it is a possibility.

here's a contemporary review.

Huntkey-Green-Star-550

Those old Q6600 were classic chips in their day. O/C'd they can almost hold their own against performance wise against the latest models. What has changed dramatically in the last 6 years is power consumption. You could easily be drawing over 200-250W for the CPU alone. Add in 150W for the old school gamers graphic card as well and we are starting to look at close 450W for your total O/C'd system.

Normally a 550W should be able to handle that. They do deteriorate over time though. Also it's not what you would call a reputed brand either.

So. Yeah. You got a power hungry system you been flogging the arse off for 6 years with a dodgy low rent no brand power supply it might be time to move on.

But. Likesay. It could easily be something else.
Old 31st October 2013
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamil21 View Post
Overclocking in a studio environment is asking for trouble...your system will get very unstable...on my experience.
Total BS. Only if you have no clue what you're doing and don't make any effort to learn or dial it into stable voltages.

Like most things, it helps if you make an effort to learn how to do it.

3930k here.. 12 threads humming along rock solid at 4.2ghz without breaking a sweat. You tend to appreciate the increase in power when you run low buffers and high sample rates.
Old 31st October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
It wouldn't be my first suspect but it is a possibility.

here's a contemporary review.

Huntkey-Green-Star-550

Those old Q6600 were classic chips in their day. O/C'd they can almost hold their own against performance wise against the latest models. What has changed dramatically in the last 6 years is power consumption. You could easily be drawing over 200-250W for the CPU alone. Add in 150W for the old school gamers graphic card as well and we are starting to look at close 450W for your total O/C'd system.

Normally a 550W should be able to handle that. They do deteriorate over time though. Also it's not what you would call a reputed brand either.

So. Yeah. You got a power hungry system you been flogging the arse off for 6 years with a dodgy low rent no brand power supply it might be time to move on.

But. Likesay. It could easily be something else.
Thanks for the reply.

Well, that last part there about flogging the system for six years is not exactly accurate. My main studio machine (at the studio) is an i7-2600 with 8GB of RAM, an Intel DH67CL mobo and a 750 Coolermaster PSU. It's not overclocked and handles fantastically.

The Q6600 machine I bought used recently for $200 for my small home studio where I do editing, project admin and pre-mixing. I was previously running an E6600. The new (old) machine didn't come with a PSU so the Huntkey is brand new. The guy I bought the machine from was a gamer that said he never OC'ed the machine but it came with a Coolermaster Geminii, which is a monster of an air cooler so that prompted me to try. If what he claims is true, I don't think the system ever got taxed very hard and I'm the first person to overclock it.

Thanks for the link to the Huntkey review. However, I don't think it's the same power supply as it's the "Green Star" series. Mine is the "Green Power" series. The model numbers are different. Plus, mine has more than two SATA power connections and more than one four pin IDE/floppy power connectors.

Is there an app that allows you to monitor power consumption in your system? I'll have to look on google.

Cheers
Old 31st October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:

\e.
Well, I used a couple of online power consumption calculators and with the overclock and rest of the components it came to around 151W for the CPU and around 365W overall at 90% performance. Given the specs of he Huntkey, I think it should be alright because it's brand new.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers
Old 31st October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Facta View Post
While my system is really stable when running, I am having this problem. Other than the sleep issue, it passes Prime95 large FFT stress test with flying colours and has a max temp of under 60 degrees C.

Firstly, do you have a suggested solution to this problem or maybe a plan of attack?

Some have said it relates to the PLL Override setting and others have said it's because the voltages required to re-initiate an OC'ed system from sleep do not have a quick enough rise time so it crashes mid-wake.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
I just switched from using sleep to hibernate on one of the affected PCs and it hasn't failed me so far. It's not as fast as sleep, but it might be worth checking out.

As for the exact causes of failing to resume from sleep, I don't know. But since it fails even with moderate overclocks, which don't require more V than stock, I doubt it's simply a lack of voltage issue.
Old 31st October 2013
Deleted #255447
Never had this issue myself (I don't use any sleep/hibernate functions), but have read that some interfaces will crash a system resuming from sleep. Might be worth looking into.
Old 31st October 2013
nms
Lives for gear

I avoid sleep and hibernate keeping both disabled. Instead I use the Asus tuner to activate a profile that clocks down to 1.2ghz and lower voltage.
Old 12th January 2014
Lives for gear

Found this thread cuz today I finally had the guts to attempt to overlock my 2 year old PC daw. Actualy I had no choice but to try it, because I'm currently working on a big project in cubase and at 2048samples buffer the CPU ASIO meter was hitting red and audio was stuttering. Overclocked my i7-920 (2.6ghz) to 3.9ghz. By just watching YouTube video. Daw PC Runs without problems, Max CPU temp so far was 72degrees. Now I can run the same project at a buffer of 512samples and not overload ASIO CPU meter!! And I was on the edge of buying a new CPU or a Mac Pro computer. This is the best thing I did to my studio after acoustic treatment and Monitors upgrade!
Old 12th January 2014
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 View Post
today I finally had the guts to attempt to overlock my 2 year old PC daw.
To not OC a 920 is committing sin. 2.6 to 3.9 is a pretty compelling reason to do so!
Old 12th January 2014
Lives for gear

As to the original question, If requested by a client, yes.

If I know it will improve workflow for a client, yes.

If I know it will decrease the life of a computer I build for someone, and potentially cause issues for them while they're getting real work done, then no - but it certainly is a viable, and quite useful tool in a powerful machine.
Old 12th January 2014
Lives for gear

Got an I7 875k @ 4.5 ghz no sweat. Probably won't upgrade till Something ground braking comes out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search