The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PCI 424 not found after sleep OSX/MAS Audio Interfaces
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

PCI 424 not found after sleep OSX/MAS

Hi There,
Just wondering if this is an OSX or a MAS problem. I've sent a copy of this to MOTU tech support as well and will post the reply if it fixes the problem so that others can find it here.
Here's the problem:

PCI card / interfaces not being "seen" after the computer has been in sleep mode. When I open the MOTU PCI Audio Setup application either an error window opens that says "No MOTU PCI card found" or the configuration window opens but there are no interfaces shown in the drop down menu. Restarting has no effect. Only completely shutting down the computer and starting it up again works. The 2408mkIII and 24I/O are always on. Turning them off and on makes no difference. The system is clocked to a Rosendahl Nanosyncs clock which is always turned on. I've re-installed the MOTU PCI-424 software and have also reset the PRAM a couple of times and neither measure made any difference.

Any ideas or help would be well appreciated!

System setup:
Dual 2Ghz PowerPC G5, 4GB RAM, OS v10.4.10
MOTU PCI Audio software v1.2.0
MOTU PCI-424x, MOTU 2408mkIII, MOTU 24 I/O
Rosendahl Nanosyncs system clock

Thanks!
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

sleep mode

What you need to do first is turn sleep mode completely off in your system folder so the hard drive never falls asleep then do a restart .This may be causing the problem first off.
Second you may have a bad pci-e? card that is not sitting in its socket correctly or is faulty possibly. One option is to install the card in a different slot and see what happens.good luck

Dp
Old 11th September 2007
Here for the gear

I've just been through something similar to this - after restarting the G5 in the morning, the PCI card is not recognized by the computer. Several PRAM resets will sometimes get it working (as will swapping the PCI slots), but the problem has got progressively worse and MOTU have concluded that it is a faulty card & I'm having to send it back to them for repair.

Hope that helps,
shack
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Nut

Hi There,
I tried re-seating the card but not swapping card slots. I'm still waiting for an answer from MOTU Tech Support but I'll try swapping the PCI slot & turning off the sleep in the meantime. I'll post any reply I receive from MOTU.

Thank you both for your input!

-Frank
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Nut

Problem Solved

Hi There,
The problem's been fixed. Here's what MOTU came back with plus my reply:

MOTU Tech Support:
Added by Matt on 2007/09/13 15:45:43 GMT-5

I am going to suggest reinstalling our newest drivesr for your system. What i can do is put a step by step list of the exact procedure in here right now. If you have questions on it just let me know.

1. Make sure you're Mac has the proper slots to accommodate your PCI X card.

2. Make sure the PCI card is not inserted in computer.

3. Go to the downloads section of motu.com and download the PCI-424 drivers under your specific OS. You have here that you have OSX10.4.10 so you would want the download labeled MOTU PCI-424 OSX Audio.

4. Unzip the drivers and install them on your machine. Try not to run anything else on the machine while doing this.

5. You should go through the install wizard. Make sure there are no errors or anything while installing. If there are then you will need to reinstall.

6. Shut down your computer completely and insert the PCI 424 card into a usable slot. Try using the slot furthest from your graphics card, if possible.

7.Once you are sure your PCI card is inserted correctly then restart your computer.

8. Do not plug in your unit(s) yet.

9. Open your PCI console/Motu PCI audio Setup and make sure your computer is seeing your PCI card.

10. After everything is installed properly, making sure you don't get any error messages, and your computer is seeing your PCI card, plug your 2408 into the PCI card in the audio wire port closest to the sync port.

11. In the PCI console your 2408 should show up and you should be able to assign the inputs and outs in the PCI console window.

If you can get through these steps and the system is running, then you should be good to go.

-Matt

My reply:

Hi Matt,
I'm happy to inform you that this worked. I have been in contact with another user on a forum who had a similar problem and had posted your reply to him that described a similar procedure. The only difference being that it didn't specify the slot furthest from the graphic card. Mine is currently in the slot exactly next to the graphic card and it seems to work fine. Also, after installing the drivers & shutting down, I simply re-installed the card, connected the interfaces & powered up. So far there's been no repeat of the problem and the system is seen after sleep. Thanks very much for your help!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search