The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
4xUAD, PoCo FW, FF800 and Duende on the same PC...Help me build a new DAW DSP Audio Systems
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac
4xUAD, PoCo FW, FF800 and Duende on the same PC...Help me build a new DAW

Hi sluts!

I'm sure everyone is already bored in helping people build new DAWs. I've tried to read as much as possible but so far haven't found all the answers I want.

My current system looks like this:

Mobo: Asus P4C800e-Deluxe
Cpu: Intel 3,4Ghz
Ram: 2GB
HD: 2x Maxtor 80GB 7200rpm IDE drives, one for system, the other for audio.
ATI Radeon 9200 display controller
Win XP home SP1 (haven't updated to SP2 since I don't know what would I benefit, so far everything has worked well and the system is stable).
RME FF800 connected to Belkin FW800 card
4xUAD-1 cards (on their own PCI slots)
TC Powercore Firewire connected to the internal FW port of the Asus MoBo
SSL Duende (sometimes I replace PoCo with this unit, currently Duende does not work with all the other goodies connected :( ).
Cubase SX3

I mostly record and mix, sometimes use some VSTis (DFH Superior and Hypersonic). Sometimes the projects I mix have over 100 audio tracks and I use lots of plugins so the new DAW has to be powerful.

I want a PC that I can work with the next few years...I'd use this computer over 300 days a year so the system has to be as stable as possible. The max budget for this is about 2000e.

I've been considering a new Asus MoBo (been reading lots of good things about them), a dual or quadcore processor, maybe 4GB of ram...Tell me what's best. My UADs are all PCI cards so maybe a Magma chasis?

I'll be updating my Cubase to V4 if I have to. So far I get along with SX3 well enough ;-).

There's talk about incompabilities between XP and quadcores, also XP and more than 2GB of ram. At the same time people tell me that XP is still the best OS to use with DAWs. DO I need XP pro to benefit from a Quadcore and ram over 2G or is XP home enough?

I'm a producer and a musician but not a computer expert. I would use this computer for music purposes only. Somebody please help me clear these things out.

Oh and one more thing...I'm visually impaired and need a zooming utility to be able to work with computers. The zooming program (Zoomtext) is only available for PCs so buying a Mac is not an alternative for me.

-- Mikko
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Hi i just build my new DAW and as allways i choose an ASUS mob - P5W DH deluxe. And be aware there is lots of tricky issues with this mob. The sequence of booting is a mess and it took me a whole day to sort out...conclusion dont put any non sata drives in it. check out on the cubase forum there is some great info there. people recommend intel MOB.

mob ASUS P5W DH
Intel core 2 quad 6600 lga775 2.4, 8mb
2 UAD pci
RME Fireface
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

mherrane .
the word "bored" is not what i would use.
the VERY REAL PROBLEM is even the best computer experts
might suggest something to you with good hearts/intentions, but you might
encounter problems given your particular performance needs.
the main problem being the pace of change of the technology.
for example someone might say "xyz" motherboard that works well for them,
so you get one only to find theres been a subtle revision or whatever.
thus in a constantly changeing market lots of people i suspect are leery to make suggestions.
there are just too many variables.

therefore the only solution is you must do your own testing.
OR pay someone like sonica or adk or someone else to build a solution for you.
once youve given them your user requirements.

with greatest respect an audio engineer once said to me one should be able to do a song
in 24 tracks. on a daw ive sorta updated this to 48 tracks.
with 100 tracks i dont know how you keep control of a project.
i find i "loose it" after about 45 tracks.
one thing i would suggest is you at a minimum use 7200 rpm drives with 16mb cache.

i'm currently testing a nice retail at 900 buks q6600 quad core pc,
that for me seems nice, but i'm leery of suggestingit just in case your
performance needs arent met.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Buy a used Magma Chassis for your UAD's.
Stay away from the Asus P5W DH.
If you're using a multitude of FW devices, stay away from the Asus P5W DH.
Go with the P5B.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac
Thanks all...I very much appreciate all the info I can get...

Manning1: The 100+ tracks situations don't make me happy either but nowadays people send me quite complicated projects to mix. Can't put a limit to the number of tracks, only when I record the projects myself. These large projects are very hard to work with and working is slow but that's just what I do for living ;-).

When I last time upgraded my system, everybody suggested me P4C800-e deluxe motherboards and Intel processors...I thought I'd find something similar this time .

-- Mikko
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

HI,
P35 chipset and stay far far away from Asus.

i have had 4 UADs with PCI card, 2 uad and 2 poco with PCI card
4 uad, 1 poco and firewire interface.

sharing the duende with the FF 800 is a problem, FW poco plain sucks.
you could do 4 uad 1 FW 400 card and use the onboard FW for the FF.

SCott
ADK

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search