The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mighty Mouse Special Ef­fects Plugins
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Mighty Mouse

My Mighty Mouse stopped scrolling vertical down , scrolls up fine ! Any fixes for this ?

Thanx in advance .
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Google around for it. Officially Mighty Mouse need no cleaning. Everyone who's owned one knows otherwise. There's several solutions. I find that a lint free cloth pushed along can help, but have also used strands of thin solder/toothpicks/etc to try to get the junk out. Don't try any of my solutions, but Google it. There's answers already out there.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks Tibbon , i found a site that shows you how to clean it , but wasn't sure if this was my problem or a driver issue ! I'll give it a go and see what happens .
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

... Or it needs to be replaced.

I really like the Mighty Mouse concept, incredibly smart. But since it almost stops functioning after a while until you clean it (which is no way near as easy as cleaning any other mouse) and since I actually had to REPLACE one, I'm more or less through with them. The first time I've ever had to replace a mouse... And I remember mouse-free computers!
Old 10th September 2007
Jam
Lives for gear

We have three in the house and I'm going to have to replace one.

Great when they're working though.

Jam
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I love the mighty mouse so much that if it did bite the dust i'd buy another , cann't do without horizontal and vertical scrolling ! Tibbons suggestion worked , although i still feel a slight bump scrolling down, it's working now at least.
Old 10th September 2007
The most common solution (worked perfectly on mine too) is to use a q-tip dipped in some kind of alcohol or terpentine (like you use to remove chewing gum).

Wet the scroll ball thoroughly and place the mouse up side down on a piece of paper, push down hard forcing the ball up into the mouse and move around the mouse while pushing down.

You'll see traces of dirt now rubbing off on the paper hopefully.

Repeat if necessary, this fixed my problem at least. I tried everything else, but this trick worked.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks Lagerfeldt , that seems the go , might have to put some moonshine on itheh

Mighty Mouse here to save the day
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
The most common solution (worked perfectly on mine too) is to use a q-tip dipped in some kind of alcohol or terpentine (like you use to remove chewing gum).

Wet the scroll ball thoroughly and place the mouse up side down on a piece of paper, push down hard forcing the ball up into the mouse and move around the mouse while pushing down.

You'll see traces of dirt now rubbing off on the paper hopefully.

Repeat if necessary, this fixed my problem at least. I tried everything else, but this trick worked.
Yikes, I just tried this and it made mine worse. This is my second one with this same scrolling problem. This is the most amazing and yet crappy mouse ever made.
Old 10th September 2007
Oh, I forgot the disclaimer "try this at your own risk"
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

I liked the mighty mouse but got tired of having to clean it and the constant aggravation of it not working.
Dumped it and got a $10 Logitech and have had no problems.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I had the same problem. You just gotta give it to it, just start scrolling the hell out of it for a minute or so. It'll eventually start scrolling fine again. They work good, but sometimes they need to be kept in line...
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I couldn't do without mine. It can also shuttle video in FCP which I'm finding to be sweet!
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

If you like the 360 degree scroll ball try Shift+Jog Wheel on a regular mouse.

If you hold shift you will scroll hizontally and this is almost as good as the MM.

I got way too tired and aggrevated with mine and bought a nice Microsoft mouse that has lasted much longer with no issues.

I liked the scroll ball it worked beautifully for about 8 months. **** + Scroll Wheel will suffice until Apple makes a better, cleanable MM.
Old 10th September 2007

I have the same problem with my Mighty Mouse, the scrolling stopped working. I´m gonna try all the recommendations here.

I Google it and found various ways for cleaning it, which is the one that worked for you H-Rezz?
Old 10th September 2007
I'm back to the old mouse. one button, nice and heavy.
also forcing myself to use the keyboard (shortcuts)
better for preventing RSI (in my case) too

I didn't really like the mighty mouse
the trackball is just not working after two days of scrolling
bad design. period.
I have better things to do than cleaning balls on mice
Old 10th September 2007
Here for the gear

Switched to a MS 5 button mouse, it will still scroll sideways, sort of, as well as the shift scroll option, and I have two buttons on the side as well. One set to expose, the other set to 'undo' in Logic Pro. Love it!
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroz View Post
I have the same problem with my Mighty Mouse, the scrolling stopped working. I´m gonna try all the recommendations here.

I Google it and found various ways for cleaning it, which is the one that worked for you H-Rezz?
Tibbons suggestion fixed it for now , i haven't had it for a long time so some of the other suggestions might come in useful when it's had a bit more use .
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search