The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
protools le delay compensation, question
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

protools le delay compensation, question

Does anyone know exactely whats the deal with the lack of delay compensation in protools le?

Does this mean that all audio you record is out of time and you have to drag it all around to get the timing right?

Can anyone elaborate on what shortcommings i might expect with protools le?

thanx
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizeh12 View Post
Does anyone know exactely whats the deal with the lack of delay compensation in protools le?

Does this mean that all audio you record is out of time and you have to drag it all around to get the timing right?

Can anyone elaborate on what shortcommings i might expect with protools le?

thanx
This PDF might be helpful...
http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...tems_33000.pdf
---
c
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

this sums it all up.

thank you very much, im enlightened
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Plug-ins take time to work...it doesn't mean that your audio is recorded late or moved, just that it will sound slightly out of time due to the time it takes for your host to do everything it needs to, as well as the extra stuff you're asking it to do.
Unless you've got some heavy duty or poorly written plug-ins on everything to wrestle poorly recorded audio into shape, the delays won't become apparent for a while. LE will tell you how many samples your audio is held up (when you get to the point that you care to ask), and gives you the tools you need to move it. TDM systems have the processing horsepower to compensate.
On digi's User Conference (DUC: Viewing list of forums), I've seen reports of the New 8-core MacPros handling rather large and complex sessions in toolkit-enhanced LE with the ease of HD systems...for a fraction of the cost. I don't mind shifting some tracks around if it means I save a bunch of money, but I'm in the lucky position of having a fairly substantial arsenal of tools with which to record good audio. You may be in a different position, where you'll possibly need the amount of processing and delay compensation offered in some of the other products on the market.
So to answer your last question, the shortcomings you will run into depend on how you use the software (which is dependant on how you record audio), and on what sort of host computer. Before you buy, do some evaluation of your situation. There may be better options for you than PT LE at a price-point you can stomach.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

the only thing that would realy tax the latency is routing external hardware into protools. I want to use my lexicon fx and joemeek compression on an aux or an insert in protools. I realy like to layer compressed with clean signals so i realy hope the latency will cause phasing problems.

BTW
Are the stocked plugins that will be packed with mbox2 pro better than the standard Logic express plugs??
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Latency will cause phasing problems...as will a few (more) stages of conversion. parallel compression can be done ITB, remember.
I can't comment on the Logic plugs, but the digirack plugs work well...my guess is that they are on par with each other.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search