The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digi001+ProToolsLE 5.1.1+MacOS 9 - remember that? - min. 'ideal' PowerMac G4 spec? Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Digi001+ProToolsLE 5.1.1+MacOS 9 - remember that? - min. 'ideal' PowerMac G4 spec?

Hi all,
I'm putting together a cheapo PT rig to rent out to bands to do demos and tracking sessions, etc. It will be based around a Digi001 with an extra 8ch AD converter so 16 tracks can be recorded at once. I plan on running MacOS 9 and PT5.1.whatever for maximum efficiency (can reduce the OS footprint greatly) and because newer features aren't needed (projects will be transferred over to v7 for editing and mixing). There's no need for virtual instruments or much in the way of plugins either.

So my question is - what's a "real world" acceptable PowerMac spec to do this? Here in Aust. the G4/400-466 "Gigabit" models are bugger-all now, could spec one with 256Mb-512Mb of RAM and a second internal HD for under AU$150. Will that handle 24 tracks playback at once? I remember using one of these back in 1999 when they were first released, they were absolute powerhouses. I have the original Digi001 VHS video Digidesign used to explain the system, they were running a B&W G3 with seemingly no problems or slowdowns at all.

Cheers, Ben.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

I picked up an upg processor for the G4/400 and it was a big help for PT5.

I think OS9.22 w/PT5.3.1 that gives you the 32 tracks with an OWC processor on a G4 was the ultimate setup then.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

cool, well, there's an option. i bought a G4/400 with 512Mb of RAM a few hours ago; the extra RAM and a second modern 7200rpm hard drive for audio should go pretty darn well, but if not, it's nice to know the accelerators work well. did Digidesign approve any of them for PT? are there any that are known NOT to work with PT?
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

i can't remember if it was 'officially' supported but i think i had read earlier posts and made the purchase. I never had issues with it. Only issue i've had is running UAD with it in PT. I've had no issues with UAD/Cubase. Yeah, it was good to get the extra ram.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Digi should still have requirement specs for it somewhere.

I do believe that computer will record the 32 tracks fine. Not many plugins however.
You'll want a Firewire or SCSI drive.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

so a dedicated, fast drive on the internal IDE buss isn't enough? i know that the ATA/66 IDE buss isn't exactly blazing.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

Best results get the best/fastest G4 you can afford and bump up to 6.4 software, the Mac OS cant go beyond 10.3.9.
6.4 will give you 32 tracks which is what I've been using along with plenty of plugins and virtual synths. I havent had a problem with my setup in several years.
Either option is still very stable...

Cheers...and best of luck
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I had no trouble playing back 24 tracks on an old G4 400 that i picked up off Craigslist for $40. I just loaded 5.1 on there to see if it would actually work. I could even run a few plugins, including a d-verb and a delay, and get a decent mix going.

I even ran my old 001 on a beige G3 one time last year to see what would happen. It had a ton of errors and I later found out that the beige g3 is not officially supported with the 001. Oh well, it was fun to try and I was bored.

As far as hard drives go, I ran many big sessions on my mix3 in a g4/533 on the internal drive. I never had any issues with it even when the drive was close to 90% full.

For what you want to do with it, you'll be just fine.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search