The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
G4 PowerMacs - upgrade the processor? Desktop Synthesizers
Old 9th September 2007

G4 PowerMacs - upgrade the processor?

Anyone done this?

I'm about to inherit a G4 with Logic 4.8.1 -

I'm not certain what speed the machine is, but was wondering if I ccould buy a faster processor and directly replace the previous one?

My daydream is, if it is a sub 1GHZ processor, I could replace it with a faster processor, and have a happy life with a more stable Logic that doesn't run out of steam.

Anyone know if the pin configuration has changed in the various processors over the lifespan of G4 motherboards with PCI graphics slots?
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

there's a place in the states called "Other World Computing"

that's where i got my processor upgrade..

i got their brand instead of a sonnet..

easy as hell to install and it works quite nice, but i'm sure someone will chime in and say that the system bus will be the bottleneck..

but **** it..
Old 9th September 2007

Thanks for the info!

What did you upgrade from >>> to?

And what machine is it? Quicksilver or later?

Yeah I'm sure someone will chime in re the system bus, but Logic mostly shows the processor at 100% when it crashes on my old machine.

Sometimes it is Disk I/O with large track counts
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

ahh..forgot that link,

here it is..

OWC Processors

i upgraded from a G4 Digital Audio 533Mhz..
i'm not sure where that fits in with the QuickSilver models..i think it predates them.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

I had an old G4/450 that I had upgraded the processor on. I picked up a Gigadesigns single processor 1.4Ghz (which actually went up to 1.7)... think they go much higher now qand even have dual processor versions. http://www.gigadesigns.com/

Worked flawlessly for me for the 2 years I used it... then sold it when I got my G5.

Be sure that you machine is in fact upgradeable and that the processor upgrade is compatible before you buy... I think there were a couple early G4 models that weren't.
---
c
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I've got the gigadesigns upgrade in mine too, I went from a quicksilver 867 mhz to a dual 1.6 processor, it was incredibly easy to do, and was only like $300-400. it performs leaps and bounds better than the old processor, I'm running ptle with lots of altiverbs and the like...

well worth it imho!
Old 10th September 2007
Deleted 86c3d96
Do not invest any money in this machine. It's too old. First, the processor, then a hard drive, then the power supply, extra RAM, new PRAM battery. Oh crap, the MOBO failed, and I just spent all this money. It is absolutely not worth it. You may get years of use, but it is just as likely that you wont. A decent brand new PC can be had for $400 THAT IS MANY TIMES MORE POWERFUL. Even a refurb Mac Mini from the Apple Store can be had under $500, and this is a core duo 2 machine.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Dropped a Gigadesigns G4 dual 1.8 gHz into a G4 dual 533 gHz about a year and a half ago with no problems at all... got me passed having to buy a G5. I'll buy a new intel Mac in the next few months, but will keep this one around as it's still a very stable and respectable machine.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
Dropped a Gigadesigns G4 dual 1.8 gHz into a G4 dual 533 gHz about a year and a half ago with no problems at all... got me passed having to buy a G5. I'll buy a new intel Mac in the next few months, but will keep this one around as it's still a very stable and respectable machine.

ditto

i do have kernel panics... was stable in 10.4.7 and hasn't been the same since
Old 10th September 2007

Thanks guys... How much did that set you back?

And what's a kernel panic?

--

harry_seldon: good points. Seems the Apple components are way overpriced (power supply for £90 in the UK for 334 Watt --- actually that spec seems a bit low)

Its always a punt I guess, but this machine hasn't been abused, so I would be very unlucky to see a catastrophic failure
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gruv View Post
ditto

i do have kernel panics... was stable in 10.4.7 and hasn't been the same since

I'm running 10.4.10 now, with zero problems on upgrades to this point. Are you using any extra video or audio cards in the machine? Gigadesigns processor upgrades can sometimes be a little sensitive to heavy drain on the computer's power supply. Kernel panic's can be a symptom. There are dip-switches on the processor card that can be set to compensate. If you do have extra stuff plugged-in, call Gigadesigns and tell them what you've got and they'll give you the settings.

If that's not the case, try re-installing the last upgrade from a full "combo-updater" that's been downloaded from Apple's support pages and not from the "software update" control panel. That usually clears-up any update problems. Oh, and it's a good idea to "fix permissions" before and after the update.

for Blast9:
kernel panic = system crash... a freeze usually accompanied by a message to restart the computer.
The cost was about $480 when I installed it. They currently make a dual 1.6 now with a price of $399.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
And what's a kernel panic?
A full-on system meltdown due to incompatible/problematic driver software. Requires a hard re-boot.

I'm with harry-seldon (except for the $400 PC bit...). Don't throw money into this box. Stick it in a closet and use it for a file server or something.
Old 10th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings View Post
A full-on system meltdown due to incompatible/problematic driver software. Requires a hard re-boot.

I'm with harry-seldon (except for the $400 PC bit...). Don't throw money into this box. Stick it in a closet and use it for a file server or something.
agree
check the articles in Sound on Sound (.com)
they featured some of these cards.
some did have incompatibillity problems

this is a mild kernel panic (grey screen)
also the machine could go completely dead
that (in case of the G4) requires a manual reboot from the board itself
scary stuff LOL
Attached Thumbnails
G4 PowerMacs - upgrade the processor?-picture-6.jpg  
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search