The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Difference in performance of G5 dual 1.8 and dual 2.0? DAW Software
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Addict

Unhappy Difference in performance of G5 dual 1.8 and dual 2.0?

I currently have a g4 dual 867 512MB ram that I have enjoyed for years. I just purchased Pro Tools MPowered whose minimum requirements are: G4 933Mhz 768MB. The recommended for PTMP are: G5 1.8Mhz 1GB. I will be recording 32 tracks at a time, and mixing with a fair amount of plug ins plus MIDI.

Here is my question: Would I be OK to keep my computer and add 512 more RAM, or do I need to buy a G5?

If I need a G5, I have found 2 for sale I am interested in: One is a dual 1.8 with 1GB RAM, the other is a dual 2.0 with 2GB RAM
The difference in price is about $300. ($865 vs $1150, respectively)

RAM is fairly cheap and can be upgraded later, so the main differnce is the processor.

Therefore, is it worth it to spend $200-$300 more to go from Dual 1.8 to Dual 2.0? Will I really see that much difference?

PLEASE EDUCATE ME! (How do I post this for a moderator to answer??)
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

where can you get a s5 at those prices im looking for a new pc g5 exactly. but id say if you could go for 2,o if you can is a 200mhz diference so there is a difference especially for 32 tracks and if u using alot of plugins is best to get 2 gigs mb.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

What M-Audio interface are you using?
If you don't need PCI slots, then a new imac or even mac mini plus external firewire drive would be cheaper and faster than either of those computers. I guess depending on which model you look at, the imac (if you bought a brand new one) might be a bit more expensive, but it would definitely be faster. There's always Apple refurbs.

EDIT- come to think of it, if you already own a bunch of extra plug-ins, you will need to make sure that there are universal binary versions if you go this route
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

If I were you I'd keep the G4 and save up for a newer Mac like suggested. G5's are nice but the new Intels are alot quicker, and for a little more than that 2.0 you could get a new iMac.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

It IS a big and expensive problem, updating all plugins to universal binary (and any other software you use). If you get an Intel Mac, you will have more speed, but would have to add the extra cost of updated plugins and software. The difference between the 1.8 and 2.0 G5 is very small. I would go with the 1.8 and as much ram as you can afford if you go this route.

If you will be recording 32 tracks at a time, plus mixing with many plugs, you would be taxing either G5.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search