The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
i need help choosing a new pc Studio Headphones
Old 8th September 2007
Here for the gear

i need help choosing a new pc

im using PTle with the digi 002. ive been running it on a dell dimension4700 for 3 years.ive upgraded the ram to 2 gigs and added another drive (10k) that i record on.i also use the same pc for everything else(internet, media management, etc.). the right thing to do to get the most out of the system is to have it used exclusively with the application, right?so im thinking of getting a new pc(i dont want to lose all my plugins or have to worry about converting them). im thinking another dell, inspiron, 4 gigs of ram and transfer the 10k drive from the other pc.
what do you guys think? is there anything i am missing in this equation
thanks
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Well Im sure your looming for a basic answer to your question but Im also sure you are going to get a bunch of replies of what you SHOULD do instead of what your kinda planning on now...

And Im going to start it lol

So it looks like building your own PC from scratch sounds out of the question and you kinda want to go with a dell...

If I were you this is what I would do. Keep in mind this may all sound crazy to you and maybe even everyone else, Im just trying to show what I would do if my only option were to buy a dell and didnt want to mess with reinstalling plugs and things on the new one....

I would buy the meanest beastly-est Dell I could afford. Then when I got it I would take the hard drive from the new machine and format it. Id then use software to clone the main drive from the old PC. When you put the new drive back into the new PC and turn it on (assuming you have XP) it will get the the loading XP screen and just stay there forever because it will be confused by all the new hardware. What youll have to do it pull out your XP CD assuming you have one and boot from it and do a repair install which will reinstall all the OS files without harming your data. After that it will boot normally and you'll have everything you had on the old PC but with a beefy system. If you want to use the new PC for just music you can uninstall all your unneeded crap and run some registry cleaning software to clear the crap out of there. Then optimize for recording and defrag.

I think generally what your going to find though is that its probably a better idea to just try to build the PC yourself from scratch.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search