The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RME Fireface 800: No MIDI playback Audio Interfaces
Old 7th September 2007
Here for the gear

RME Fireface 800: No MIDI playback

Hi. I recently bought a Fireface 800 and when i play MIDI via any software like Cakewalk or Guitar Pro, there is no playback. Nothing moves in the mixer during playback. My default MIDI device is set to Fireface MIDI both in Windows 2000 and in the softwares. Is it normal? Do i have to use an external MIDI playback device that feeds MIDI back to the unit? Thanks.

EDIT: The MIDI/O led flashes each time a note is played in the software.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

The Midi signal itself doesn't actually make any sound. Midi is for triggering instruments. You can add a virtual instrument (VSTi or DXi) to your software's "synth rack" and set it up to receive midi from the Fireface midi port (omni or channel 1 usually works). Set the synth output to the Fireface analog out or headphone out and you should hear something when the midi note triggers the instrument.
Old 7th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom View Post
The Midi signal itself doesn't actually make any sound. Midi is for triggering instruments. You can add a virtual instrument (VSTi or DXi) to your software's "synth rack" and set it up to receive midi from the Fireface midi port (omni or channel 1 usually works). Set the synth output to the Fireface analog out or headphone out and you should hear something when the midi note triggers the instrument.

Thanks for the reply. I already tried that and it works but what i wonder is if there are actually General MIDI instruments integrated in the unit (like in a cheap Soundblaster for example) so that i don't have to use VSTi or DXi for playback.
Old 7th September 2007
Here for the gear

I think what i'm refering to is called "Soundfonts". Is it possible?
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR View Post
Thanks for the reply. I already tried that and it works but what i wonder is if there are actually General MIDI instruments integrated in the unit (like in a cheap Soundblaster for example) so that i don't have to use VSTi or DXi for playback.
There are no onboard MIDI sounds. You need hardware or software synths.
Old 7th September 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks a lot, i'll look up for that.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR View Post
are actually General MIDI instruments integrated in the unit (like in a cheap Soundblaster for example) so that i don't have to use VSTi or DXi for playback.
Nope. The FF simply passes the midi data from your midi keyboard (controller) to your sequencer/vst synth.

-Rich
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search