The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What type of computer should I buy? DAW Software
Old 7th September 2007
  #1
Gear Nut
 

What type of computer should I buy?

Hi. I'm relatively new to recording. My setup is as follows:

HP Laptop - ( AMD Turion, 787 Mhz, 1.00 GB of RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive)
E-MU 1616M audio system
Ableton Live 5.0
Reason 3.0

I personally have never used a Mac even though they're better, especially for music. So, I'm open to getting a Mac.

What kind of computer would you buy for under $2,000 and why? Thank you.

dp
Old 7th September 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
synthoid's Avatar
 

If I were you, I would get MacBook; get the best configuration (most memory and biggest hard drive) you can afford.

I've worked with computers for a long time, and in my opinion the apple products today stand head and shoulders above their competition for many applications; and in the case of music-making it isn't even a contest.

-synthoid
Old 7th September 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid View Post
If I were you, I would get MacBook; get the best configuration (most memory and biggest hard drive) you can afford.

I've worked with computers for a long time, and in my opinion the apple products today stand head and shoulders above their competition for many applications; and in the case of music-making it isn't even a contest.

-synthoid
really?
interesting....

considering a mac is now a PC how is that?
OSX is better than windows? pleease...

they are both tools and they both work you choose one over the other based on software

i suppose you would say the same about an iMac?

Scott
ADK
Old 7th September 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by putney41 View Post
Hi. I'm relatively new to recording. My setup is as follows:

HP Laptop - ( AMD Turion, 787 Mhz, 1.00 GB of RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive)
E-MU 1616M audio system
Ableton Live 5.0
Reason 3.0

I personally have never used a Mac even though they're better, especially for music. So, I'm open to getting a Mac.

What kind of computer would you buy for under $2,000 and why? Thank you.

dp
whats wrong with with you have? if you are just starting out its more than good enough
also your cpu speed is incorrect, looks like its running in throttle down mode.

install a program called speed switch
it will run your cpu at full speed

Scott
ADK
Old 7th September 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
macgee's Avatar
i use a mac for audio and always have and love it. i have pro tools on a PC too but in general it just doesn't feel as snappy. regardless of this though it is a tool and isn't going to make your music better by any means!

i'd only go for a laptop if i needed the portability otherwise i would go for a desktop, much better to edit on and more expandability.

core audio in os x is really great and there's utilities to merge various audio interfaces to make a single virtual interface. it starts up in seconds and it's pretty much ready to go with very little configuration

the new imacs are great and expandable - can have 2 hard drives and it doesn't take alot of space at all. my friend has the previous imac and loves it

for example, start up the computer and in a couple of minutes you will be recording tracks in garageband

i personally use a mac pro

PC are fine, nothing against them!
Old 7th September 2007
  #6
Gear Addict
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 

HP has some great deals on laptops...

17" DV9500t
Core 2 Duo 2.4
2 Gigs of RAM (You can upgrade to 4 if you want)
2x Internal 120 Gig 7200 RPM drives

$1625
Old 7th September 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
zemlin's Avatar
 

What you have will get you started.
The question you need to ask first is what software works best for you. Then select a computer based on your software selection.
Old 7th September 2007
  #8
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
whats wrong with with you have? if you are just starting out its more than good enough
also your cpu speed is incorrect, looks like its running in throttle down mode.
We only have one computer in our house, which is the laptop. So, we're trying to add another machine so my wife has a machine to use (pay bills, etc.) and I'll have a machine for music. I figure while I'm upgrading that I might as well get a fast, solid, desktop for music and give the laptop to my wife.

dp
Old 7th September 2007
  #9
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
install a program called speed switch
it will run your cpu at full speed
Thank you. I've read about this in a few other posts. I'll definitely do this. It makes perfect sense.

dp
Old 7th September 2007
  #10
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
HP has some great deals on laptops...

17" DV9500t
Core 2 Duo 2.4
2 Gigs of RAM (You can upgrade to 4 if you want)
2x Internal 120 Gig 7200 RPM drives

$1625
Thank you. I should have clarified the situation initially, but I'm leaning towards a desktop. See explanation 2 posts back. For the same price, I can get an HP Quad with a 22'' flatscreen, 640 GB, etc. I'm kind of leaning that direction. Thanks.

dp
Old 7th September 2007
  #11
Gear Nut
 

Right now, I'm leaning towards getting the new HP Quad. Here are my concerns:

1. It sounds like Windows Vista isn't going to work with my programs due to lack of updated drivers by the music software companies. So, do I just install XP after I purchase the new machine?

2. If I should install XP, should I use the 32 bit or 64 bit version?

3. Also, it seams to me that it would be smarter to buy 2 lower end flat screen monitors (22'' Westinghouse $189 ea at Best Buy) as opposed to spending $400 on the new 22'' HP, which is more for movies, gaming, etc. - none of which I'll be doing on my 'Music Desktop'.

Any thoughts?

dp
Old 7th September 2007
  #12
Gear Addict
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by putney41 View Post
Thank you. I should have clarified the situation initially, but I'm leaning towards a desktop. See explanation 2 posts back. For the same price, I can get an HP Quad with a 22'' flatscreen, 640 GB, etc. I'm kind of leaning that direction. Thanks.

dp

If you're going to get a desktop, don't buy it from a manufacturer. Build it yourself.
Old 7th September 2007
  #13
Gear Addict
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by putney41 View Post
1. It sounds like Windows Vista isn't going to work with my programs due to lack of updated drivers by the music software companies. So, do I just install XP after I purchase the new machine?
You could do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by putney41 View Post
2. If I should install XP, should I use the 32 bit or 64 bit version?
32 bit will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by putney41 View Post
3. Also, it seams to me that it would be smarter to buy 2 lower end flat screen monitors (22'' Westinghouse $189 ea at Best Buy) as opposed to spending $400 on the new 22'' HP, which is more for movies, gaming, etc. - none of which I'll be doing on my 'Music Desktop'.
Indeed.
Old 8th September 2007
  #14
Gear Nut
 

If you're not that concerned with CPU speed I would go for the mac mini and save a bundle. Actually... I AM going for the mac mini myself.

For me, mac is the only option since I use Logic. Pretty happy with not having to deal with Windows when it comes to music.
Old 8th September 2007
  #15
I would definitely choose a Mac if you're going to make music (or any other thing apart from playing games).

But I would go with an iMac unless you're adamant about it being a portable computer.

Put in at least 2 Gb of RAM and get an external FW disk for the audio.
Old 8th September 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
 

you mac guys just make me giggle.
think , as its saturday today, ....
i'll make it an iday....lol.
think i'll get some ilatte with some ibreakfast, ,
then i'm gonna shop at the istore for some iram n be happy my ibank account
is inegative. next week i gotta see the idoctor for some new iglasses.

its all the same old inside computers.
just trickle down technology whichever platform.

putney.
just slap blinkin xp on a 900 buk q6600 quad ,
(dont spend a ton of money, cos we are in a more cores coming era.)
add a second 7200 rpm 16mb cache drive.
hook up the emu n go make music.
heres a cheap deal ive been testing out.
(but do your own tests.)
notice ...lots of expandabilty.
ports/drives etcetc.
good deal imho if u dont want to build yourself.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...gon=&langid=EN
Old 8th September 2007
  #17
Registered User
24" 2.4 GHz iMac. $1799. You will not be disappointed.

Old 8th September 2007
  #18
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning1 View Post
you mac guys just make me giggle.
think , as its saturday today, ....
i'll make it an iday....lol.
think i'll get some ilatte with some ibreakfast, ,
then i'm gonna shop at the istore for some iram n be happy my ibank account
is inegative. next week i gotta see the idoctor for some new iglasses.
LOL!!! So true. As a Mac user, ithink, therefore iam!
Old 8th September 2007
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by putney41 View Post
Hi. I'm relatively new to recording. My setup is as follows:

HP Laptop - ( AMD Turion, 787 Mhz, 1.00 GB of RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive)
E-MU 1616M audio system
Ableton Live 5.0
Reason 3.0

I personally have never used a Mac even though they're better, especially for music. So, I'm open to getting a Mac.

What kind of computer would you buy for under $2,000 and why? Thank you.

dp
You've heard Macs are better for music -- and, certainly for those most comfortable with OS X, they are -- but are you really sure that it would be for you?

Are you basing that on specific knowledge or just buzz?


I ask because in the 90s, I always heard Macs were superior for music. Back in the 80s when I was working in studios, I guess I assumed I'd eventually have a Mac. But since I had a PC for business, my early experiments were with it. And, after a while, I sort of lost patience with some of my Mac-supremacist pals. They were all talk.

When I set up my first 8 channel DAW in '96 on a Windows 95 machine I knew I'd get some joshing about my "overgrown adding machine" -- but I never dreamed the scorn and outright disbelief I would get from a few of them. Two of them actually refused to believe I was recording 8 channels of audio on my PC. One suggested I was confusing my multi-timbral wavetable synth's output with audio recording (an utterly absurd proposition for him to put out since I'd been working in studios while he was dorking around teaching a JC synth class).

I mean, the fact that I was recording audio on my "overgrown adding machine" while they were stuck with MIDI was met from these guys with an insufferable air of contempt. It was pretty offensive.


Almost five years later, when Apple was finally readying the first OS X with a proper multichannel audio and MIDI layer (10.2), I did some reading on the classic OS's audio and MIDI "capabilities" that my old pals had so endlessly touted for their superiority. They were a joke. There had not been either multichannel audio or MIDI support at the OS level. No plug in API. Most everything was dependent on third party solutions and patches, like Opcodes's old and ultimately abandoned OMS.

Right then and there I figured I'd never get suckered in by Mac supremacism again.


Now, I'm quite happy to say that Apple has done mostly a very good job of bringing the Mac out of the 80s and into the new century, and I have no qualms about recommending a contemporary Mac to someone who prefers that OS and GUI.

But I've been reading these threads pretty religiously now for some years at GS and elsewhere and, perhaps motivated by the lingering sting of old insults, I keep a folder -- now quite bulging, at least in the virtual sense -- called "It Just Works" and its filled with Mac glitches, gotchyas, and puhlenty of horror stories. Every computer platform has them, of course. And that's the point...

And...
I was just reading a thread currently near the top of this forum on picking between Logic and PT LE and thinking to myself: man, how do people get by with so many limitations and lacking features?

Spend some time with both platforms, take a long hard look at the DAWs available on both platforms, as well as support for VST plugs and VIs (in addition to support for the OS's own plug-in API), and really listen to not what people say about stability ('cause everyone thinks their system is stable just like every hot rodder thinks his car is fast) but rather listen to the stories you read about problems with the various DAWs and OS's. Keep a mental tally of who is having problems with what.

Threads asking for help or just howling in pain can be very educational as to the true stability and usability of a given DAW and/or platform -- rather than just the happy talk and whistling-in-the-dark you get from people trying to reassure themselves that they've made the right decision.

Keep your eyes open and think for yourself.

Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
walth / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2
Tibbon / Music Computers
2
blesscurse / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump