The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Protools BFD Help! Utility Plugins
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Protools BFD Help!

Protools help!

Hi, I have a mix I'm working on and no matter what I do I cannot save the kick sound... so I want to replace it.
I dont have Sound Replacer and am thinking I'll dash out in the morning and get BFD.
Only question is- is there a way of getting ProTools to generate a midi note at the tranient of the drum I'm replacing? I dont want to face this buy hand as the deadline is looming large and who knows if the next track will need it too!!
I am on PT TDM 6.4

HELP! Cheers.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac
get drumagog and steven slate's drum library.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thats and expensive way of doing it... I dond have sound replacer because I didnt use it enough to bother replacing it when I moved setup. BFD could be useful for hooking up to my electric kit for preproduction meetings etc but drumagog too- and the slate kits... its not really what I do- i'm about tracking my clients drums in nice rooms myself... but this mix session calls for actionheh
Old 7th September 2007
Drumagog BFD will trigger BFD internally (no MIDI)... Regular Drumagog can trigger a MIDI note. You'd have to manually pencil in a MIDI note for the kick using tab to transient otherwise (actually pencil in one and copy it.. then use Tab to Transient and paste).

Rail
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thought as much- ah well... maybe drumagog will be a good buy anyway, are its samples realistic or is it better to get the BFD version?
Old 7th September 2007
If you're planning to get BFD, you should consider buying a version with BFD support. BFD is designed as a drum instrument and the sounds are very realistic and haven't been fully "mix processed". The Drumagog samples are stereo samples which have been fully "mix processed".

If you're a drummer and have an eDrum kit, I would think you'll get a lot of use out of BFD.

If this is something you just need to fix 1 kick drum for 1 mix.. you may consider farming out the drum replacement task to a 3rd party - pay someone to sample replace the kick for you.

Cheers,

Rail
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Farming it out seems a great idea but its a tight deadline and just a quick mix job- its only my pride that wont let this slide not the client!

I think I could get a fair bit of fun if not propper use out of BFD- I have an eDrum kit here as my room has no live space and it gets used for trying ideas on longer projects with propper pre prod time... maybe BFD might mean not needing the expensive drum room on some sessions? As long as I can mix everything propperly OTB as though it were a kit with overheads and ambients it could be a handy tool- but the soundreplacer element is missing... I am using the Drumagog demo with this track today and cant say I'm 100% impressed with its triggering- the demo kick is actually very usable in this track once its hit the desk and a 2254... ho hum, good enough for a panic fix!
Has anyone got down and dirty with BFD and Drumagog BFD edition?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search