The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help with Midi programming
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head

Help with Midi programming

Hi guys,
This is going to be one of many threads asking for help on probably some silly stuff but stuff i need anyways. My dad is a pretty big session musician in ireland so i use to sit in the studio the odd time and id know all them boys but not an awful lot since i got into recording a few years ago. So everything i learned i kinda found out myself and because of that i am lacking in a good few areas i think. So any help you can throw this way at all will be taken in and dont worry i will take the odd smart comment from the know it alls!

I was just programming some string parts using Kontakt2 with VSL strings on SX and i can never really get a string sound i am happy with. I do a lot of strings in these Folk, country songs usually over a standard I-iv-v-I progression or the likes( you know the type! ). Usually something like a cello on the roots and a violion harmony line and probably a melody line.

I dont know an awful lot about scripts or how to fully take advantage of the legato librarys etc so maybe someone can throw a bone on how to approach this stuff when using a keyboard controller. I know the terms etc its just pure lack of experience at the programming.

I always feel that the note transitions are very rough and not very flowing. Im just thinking could it actually be a composing issue, but i ussually pay pretty close attention to the chord structures and the most common sense Line for the samples.

So i suppose, What would your approach be to composing a couple of bars string progression with a melody line? What sort of scripts do you tend to use or maybe mixing in some pizz or velocity tweaking! Anything! Thanks for reading guys.

Dave
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yes strings are really tough to get pro sounding. I have NEVER been able to do it.

I always figured those good string sound were real samples from expensive sound librarys run through bit crushers or something if the electronic sound is needed.

I am waiting to see if someone has a good answer as well!

Big Bump!
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

You have to play around with it a good bit. I use EWQLSO. My suggestion is to program them like a real string section. Do violins first, then violas, then cellos, then bass if you need bass. My guess is that Kontakt 2, which I have, but haven't installed, does not have many articulations. You'll just have to play and tweak to get them sounding right. Sometimes I'll even program the passage then go back and reprogram the sound until it sits right in the mix. Best....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search