The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac Audio Interfaces
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac

APOGEE INTRODUCES DUET, PROFESSIONAL TWO-CHANNEL FIREWIRE AUDIO INTERFACE FOR THE MAC

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Santa Monica, CA, September 6th, 2007 - Apogee Electronics introduces Duet, a revolutionary FireWire audio interface designed specifically for Apple’s Mac computers. Duet is the first two-channel audio interface with control functions built directly into Apple’s Logic Pro, Soundtrack Pro and GarageBand software, creating a powerful yet simple personal audio system for professional production on a Mac.

Duet’s inputs and outputs feature two channels of Apogee’s legendary A/D and D/A conversion. The inputs offer two premium, digitally controlled microphone preamps with 75 dB of gain and two unbalanced high impedance instrument inputs. The two channels of reference quality output are available via the 1/4” powered speaker connections and studio quality headphone jack.

Duet is designed for ease of use and portability. Its sleek, ultra-compact chassis gives it a small footprint in the workspace and its bus-powered FireWire connection makes it possible to create professional recordings anywhere. Duet‘s multi-function controller knob can select the input or output source and set gain or level. Duet is also capable of controlling MIDI devices with a simple setting in Apogee’s Maestro software application.

“We are excited to advance the Native recording revolution with Duet,” said Betty Bennett, CEO of Apogee Electronics. “Apogee has worked very closely with Apple to produce the finest integrated audio solutions for the Mac. Duet is the personal version of our Ensemble interface and brings a level of quality and capability never before available at this price point.”

Features & Specifications
• Two channels of professional-quality 24-bit/96kHz audio input and output
• Two balanced XLR inputs, with selectable 48V phantom power on each input
• Two unbalanced high impedance instrument inputs
• One high-level stereo headphone output
• Two unbalanced -10 dBV line outputs for powered speakers
• Multi-function controller knob for volume and input gain control and assignable MIDI control
• Multi-segment LED meters to display input or output levels
• FireWire 400, compatible with Mac OS X Core Audio
• Integration and control with Apple’s GarageBand, Logic Pro, Logic Express and Final Cut Studio (Soundtrack Pro)
• Compatible with any Core Audio-compliant audio application
• Apogee’s Maestro software for advanced control and low latency mixing

System Requirements
• Computer: Mac G4 1GHz or faster, G5 or Intel CPU
• Memory: 1 GB RAM minimum, 2 GB recommended
• Connection: FireWire 400 port

Availability: September 2007
MSRP: $495.00 US

For more information: http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/duet.php
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

At that price you guys will sell boat loads me thinks
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Max, how does sound quality (specifically the D/A converter and the headphone amp) compare to those in the Mini DAC?
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

bloody hell... that's a decent price
will it support new Logic?
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Duet is the same quality converters and mic pres as Ensemble.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Head

Cool!!

Does Duet mean that Logic 8 will be out soon??
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Duet is the same quality converters and mic pres as Ensemble.
This looks really nice for 'on-the-go'. Deductively, since you've stated that Ensemble's AD/DA conversion is superior to the MiniMe, this would indicate the Duet as a superior converter to the MiniMe, no?

Finally, as an Ensemble user, besides using the Duet for ultimate portability, will it play nicely as an aggregate device with Ensemble (bumping up 2 more channels of conversion and 2 more mic pre's or inputs)?

PS - Will the Duet's come with the pictured carrying case?

Thanks!
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmacko View Post
This looks really nice for 'on-the-go'. Deductively, since you've stated that Ensemble's AD/DA conversion is superior to the MiniMe, this would indicate the Duet as a superior converter to the MiniMe, no?
Correct. Duet's converters and mic pres are better than the Mini-Me

Quote:
Finally, as an Ensemble user, besides using the Duet for ultimate portability, will it play nicely as an aggregate device with Ensemble (bumping up 2 more channels of conversion and 2 more mic pre's or inputs)?
That's the plan.

Quote:
PS - Will the Duet's come with the pictured carrying case?
The carrying case will be sold separately.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

smart move, apogee!
- c
Old 7th September 2007
sold...
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
APOGEE INTRODUCES DUET, PROFESSIONAL TWO-CHANNEL FIREWIRE AUDIO INTERFACE FOR THE MAC

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Availability: September 2007
MSRP: $495.00 US
THANK G-D!! ....now I don't have to settle for a Firebox instead of a FF400...
this is a slam dunk so far...now if only there was a "Trio" Symphony card...

Mac & Apogee ..go get em!!!

BP
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

wow! i just got a rosetta 200 and will now be getting this!

umm...

anyone want to buy a rosetta 200?
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Max, this looks great!

I'm excited. I just have one question. Can you send different mixes to the headphone out and main outs? If so I'm there, if not makes it really difficult as a portable performance tool, which wouldbe a shame,

Thanks
S
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head
Yep, this is my next purchase. Exactly what I've been looking for. Actually a little more.

D®...
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I hope you guys have a boatload of these available come AES...Now I won't have to use my 002R for Logic. I know what Santa will be getting me....

What is the latency? It probably isn't in the same league as Symphony (because of the PCI-E), but I hope it's at least as good as Ensemble.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtek View Post
Max, this looks great!

I'm excited. I just have one question. Can you send different mixes to the headphone out and main outs? If so I'm there, if not makes it really difficult as a portable performance tool, which wouldbe a shame,

Thanks
S
i would also like to know this as i am thinking of permanently keeping my Metric Halo ULN-2 bolted into my rack now and using the Duet for performances. the separate hdphn mixes would be crucial however....

thanks
T
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

max - great product! i was trying to fish out from you if a two channel version was coming

i really like the quick start vid...

downloaded the manual - no specs?

and this may (just be me) no spdif? damn... i have tons 'o dats to convert

-mike
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Oh my god, this could be a real killer. I'm getting one the day it's released.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm interested in the whole "integration with Logic" thing. Is it too far fetched to believe that they're planning for something similar but BIGGER for the Logic 8 release?
Old 7th September 2007

This is what I was waiting for... Apogee, I love you... only wish it had 2 headphone outs...
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hello Max

Does the Maestro software make room for M/S decoding for the headphone/speaker outs?

Thanks, and congrats on the first product that makes me want to go mac wards.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I just spotted the OS version required: 10.4.10

I'd like to know if that's an absolute requirement, cause I have to stick to 10.4.9 until Digi "approves" the .10 version. [I use PT and Logic]
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Apogee's obviously making a run at the PTLE crowd. Maybe Apple will finally join them!
Old 7th September 2007
Here for the gear

this seems quite interesting product
...but if working with my Macbook with an external Firewire-HD,
does Duet work thru a firewire-hub?
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaki putih View Post
This is what I was waiting for... Apogee, I love you... only wish it had 2 headphone outs...
$100 Powerplay Pro by Behringer can sort that out

Another great product by Apogee, might buy one just because it looks so damn cool heh
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Is it just me or does the Duet look like a Mac design?.......Maybe they'll go down $200 in a couple of months.heh

BP
Attached Thumbnails
Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac-duet_qs_pgicon.jpg   Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac-duet_rearpanel1-copy.jpg   Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac-duet_specs_main.jpg  
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I was looking for an interface for my iBook.....maybe I'll wait for this!
Old 7th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz View Post
$100 Powerplay Pro by Behringer can sort that out
Of course, I just wouldn't like to carry another box around... well, maybe a Y-adapter migth just do it in emergency...
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Oh, and another question... Seeing that this resembles a small Ensemble, will there be a stand-alone mode? Please let it have a stand-alone mode!
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
Oh, and another question... Seeing that this resembles a small Ensemble, will there be a stand-alone mode? Please let it have a stand-alone mode!
From what I can see there is no power supply. It can only be powered via firewire.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search