The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac Audio Interfaces
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsound View Post
I notice that the Duet is powered via Firewire. I use a Glyph Key drive for audio with my Macbook pro. There's only one Firewire 400 on the MBP. What's the solution?
an expresscard for your mbpro with firewire outputs...
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
an expresscard for your mbpro with firewire outputs...
good call - just did some checks and it's a good option. Quite $$ for the card though.
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

there are many options.

you can connect external sata drives to special expresscards.
much faster even than 800 firewire.
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Ship it, Max!

Do it...do it ;p
Old 21st September 2007
Gear Head

firewire hub?

Could you have multiple duets plugged into a firewire hub and then plug that into a macbook? I guess I wonder how you'd get your software to recognize the multiple inputs...
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Turn
it
down.

- c
(Key word was sporadic)

and I'd prefer to stay off the bottom also...
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

if the pre's on the duet are the same as the emsemble, then what is the difference between the 2?
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
With 24 bits you can have plenty of room up top and still be well above the bottom...

Quote:
if the pre's on the duet are the same as the emsemble, then what is the difference between the 2?
About six channels...
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Head

Hello folks,

my first post here ;-) ! I`m following this thread since the very beginning. I sold my Motu Ultralite yesterday to buy the Apogee Duet. What I didn`t know is that in Europe (Switzerland) it comes out late October/November. I cannot wait that long. Could someone recommend a store in the US that ships to Europe. I know Sweetwater for instance doesn`t. Any help is highly appreciated...

p.s. is it even out in the US yet?
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Head

Will a U.S Spec Duet be Ok in the UK?

Guessing as it's FW buss powered it should but......could anyone confirm this?
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
With 24 bits you can have plenty of room up top and still be well above the bottom...

About six channels...
+ SPDIF, ADAT IOs, Word Clock, Standalone Mode, 2 more pres, 1 more headphone out, 1 more firewire port (for daisy chaining), 2 inserts (send&return), Softlimit, and UV22HR
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Lister Adam View Post
Visit this page then you can confirm it.
Apogee Electronics: Products: Duet
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUGA View Post
Visit this page then you can confirm it.
Apogee Electronics: Products: Duet
ok... thanks for 'helping' me with that link to the sames pages I've already visited & read thoroughly, none of whch specify (as would be expected) country specific specs or issues in transporting between countries. So back to my post in answer to a thread started by Max from Apogee....If anyone would confirm this that'd be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
ok... thanks for 'helping' me with that link to the sames pages I've already visited & read thoroughly, none of whch specify (as would be expected) country specific specs or issues in transporting between countries. So back to my post in answer to a thread started by Max from Apogee....If anyone would confirm this that'd be appreciated.

Thanks
I'm going to have to go with an OBVIOUSLY it will work anywhere on the planet! Do you really think a computer is going to be putting out different volatages on its Firewire bus around the globe?

You're safe...you don't need to buy several. One marked US, one UK...oh, going to Japan? Sorry, you'll need another Duet. Yeah...the Apogee "Trio of Duets Pack." Perfect stocking stuffer!!!
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks
Hello again. When Max started this thread, he included a press release which contained the following...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
...and its bus-powered FireWire connection makes it possible to create professional recordings anywhere.
Yuma tried 'helping' you further above by giving you a link that you, "already visited & read thoroughly." Had you thoroughly read the FIRST page at the bottom, you would have seen this...

Fired Up: Bus Powered FireWire Lets you Take Duet Anywhere
Duet is the first bus powered FireWire interface in the Apogee family. Which means your computer powers Duet, liberating you from a wall socket. So with Duet, a laptop and a little gear, you can roam to wherever your creativity takes you and make incredible sounding recordings in an inspired space.

The info has been there from the start for you and everybody. Reading things thoroughly is a GREAT idea. Understanding them is even better! May I suggest you research the differences between Bus Powered & Self Powered?

It may prevent you from suggesting Max isn't being attentitive enough to answer your question within four hours of you posting it in a thread he started! The cheek of him! Getting some sleep. Damn you Max!!!
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Hello again. When Max started this thread, he included a press release which contained the following...Yuma tried 'helping' you further above by giving you a link that you, "already visited & read thoroughly." Had you thoroughly read the FIRST page at the bottom, you would have seen this...

Fired Up: Bus Powered FireWire Lets you Take Duet Anywhere
Duet is the first bus powered FireWire interface in the Apogee family. Which means your computer powers Duet, liberating you from a wall socket. So with Duet, a laptop and a little gear, you can roam to wherever your creativity takes you and make incredible sounding recordings in an inspired space.

The info has been there from the start for you and everybody. Reading things thoroughly is a GREAT idea. Understanding them is even better! May I suggest you research the differences between Bus Powered & Self Powered?
Oh for f*cks sake... I read, & UNDERSTOOD, the website & the press release.. & asked a question about whether a unit from the states would have issues in the UK... it's a reasonable bloody question, I know & UNDERSTAND about Bus & Self Powered, & unless I've been communicating via subliminal messages somehow it's only your post than mentions self-powering??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
It may prevent you from suggesting Max isn't being attentitive enough to answer your question within four hours of you posting it in a thread he started! The cheek of him! Getting some sleep. Damn you Max!!!
[/QUOTE]
What? are you on drugs? - when have i suggested/hinted/implied this? - I mentioned the post was originally by a dude from apogee as a justification of asking a question in a forum & not being directed to 'look at a website'

Get off your high horse mate... I'll let this thread get back to other peolple learning & discussing the product now as I've no doubt based on your previous 'interpretation' of my previous posts I've now somehow during this post insulted someones mum & claimed that macs are powered by milk chocolate buttons.

ps - sorry max for the pointless diversion- found rest of this thread really useful & looking forward to getting my duet.

bye x
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Ok! In short. It will work anywhere. How about that.
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
ok... thanks for 'helping' me with that link to the sames pages I've already visited & read thoroughly...
Not looking for a school yard fight, but, sorry mate, when you start off thanking someone for 'helping' you...you've set a bit of an ugly tone! A tone that I thought continued throughout your post...even the bit about Max. My mistake.

So you UNDERSTAND the difference between Bus & Self powered. You UNDERSTAND the Duet is Bus powered. What else could 'have issues' in the UK? Those crazy US XLR's?

Perhaps Max, the 'dude' from Apogee, will show up and say there are in fact differences? My money ain't on that, though! Anywhere is anywhere in my book. On a plane, on a train...London Tower, Eiffel & Sears Towers too...you know, ANYWHERE!
Best to mumsy and enjoy your milk chocolate buttons, old chap!
Old 23rd September 2007
Gear Nut

Not to add to this silly, SILLY, spat here but;

Quote:

sounds like he knows it's bus powered. also sounds like he wanted to confirm that there wouldnt be a problem. you know...to be safe. how dare he ask a question of confirmation and say is doing as much?

he did get a little snippy with the 'helping' comment, but man, can't we just say "hey, you shouldnt have any problems with the bus powering since your computer will be handling conversion of voltage" or "most portable electronic devices in the vein of computers and cell phones automatically switch between 110 and 220 Volts"

whew.
Edit: nevermind 2 channels is 2 channels is 2 channels. damn.
Old 24th September 2007
Gear Head

Is it out yet?
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

No problems with bus power anywhere in the known universe.
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerve Nickels View Post
(Key word was sporadic)

The people missing the softlimit could give the prismsound OverKillers barrels a try.
i think they are around 150 a pair. Great soft limiters.

edit: that would only work with ext pre's but the internal have enough dyn range i think
Old 24th September 2007
Gear Head

@Max: I don`t want to act childish, but I need a Duet as soon as possible. I`m located in Switzerland and I would like to order one in the US. When exactly is it available and where should I order to get it fast?
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egopanic View Post
@Max: I don`t want to act childish, but I need a Duet as soon as possible. I`m located in Switzerland and I would like to order one in the US. When exactly is it available and where should I order to get it fast?
Call MI7. If you live outside the United States, you should always purchase Apogee products from your local authorized dealer/distributor.
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Call MI7. If you live outside the United States, you should always purchase Apogee products from your local authorized dealer/distributor.
That was why I got a little over the top with Z-Lister. From another post he had said...
Quote:
Perfect - Thanks, don't know how i missed that with my ham-fisted searching.

Makes it a no brainer about the duet, my name will be down for paying the usual hefty chunk of extra cash for the pleasure of buying one in england (just checked in my local music store & retail price here of £329 will equate to $670!!) .... actually, considering its FW buss powered ... i guess I could buy from the US....mmmm
He's just looking to save a few quid and he got snarky with someone who was just trying to confirm it will work ANYWHERE for him!

I probably shouldn't have reacted, but I just find the "save a few quid" routine so boring. Just support your local dealer. By the time you pay for shipping and import, the price will almost be identical. If something goes wrong and you have to ship it back to the States, you'll be wishing you bought local.

But as Max said...you should buy Apogee local...you don't HAVE to, like with Digidesign, for instance. You're just taking your chances, though.

Sorry for going over the top. All the best.
Old 24th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hey Max.

Sweden and Switzerland is not the same country. tutt The distributor in Switzerland is J&C Intersonic AG!
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

^^^^^^^
Funny!
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hey Max.

Sweden and Switzerland is not the same country. tutt The distributor in Switzerland is J&C Intersonic AG!
Duh!!!! How terrible of me. Apologies all around. That's what I get for jumping in and out of GS too quickly. (I guess I owe Gilberto a few drinks at AES)

Thanks, Fredrik.
Old 24th September 2007
Gear Head

@Max: lol, you`re not the only one in the US that thinks Sweden and Switzerland are the same countries. Last time a guy from Magma Support also confused it and when I attended my junior year in high school in the US I heard it at least once a day...

Anyway, like I said, I need it fast. It`s not about the money. I always support local dealers, but this time I`m in a hurry... I would really appreciate a store recommendation in the US... where do you guys buy it? Which stores receive the first deliveries?
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

So when's apogee going to come out with something inbetween the Ensemble and the Duet?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search