The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac Audio Interfaces
Old 19th September 2007
  #211
Gear Head
 
rubycakes's Avatar
 

Ribbons & Duet?

Hey gang,

How do you think the Duet will work with a nice ribbon mic like a Royer SF-12 or AEA R88? Tempted.
Old 19th September 2007
  #212
Gear Maniac
 
jordanh's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubycakes View Post
Hey gang,

How do you think the Duet will work with a nice ribbon mic like a Royer SF-12 or AEA R88? Tempted.
I can't imagine my ensemble being anything other than great, and even though I haven't used it with a ribbon, I am confident it would excel.

That being said, it appears that the Duet is a mini version of the ensemble, so by transitive property, I would say it would be great with a ribbon mic, perhaps because theres a lot of gain? ...I don't have much experience with ribbon mics, but even my Rode NT2A sounds pretty good through my ensemble, which it didn't through a lot of other things...
Old 19th September 2007
  #213
Lives for gear
 
YUGA's Avatar
 

I'm very interested in this product. So if the converter and the pres are the same as the Ensemble. Are the dynamic range and THD+N specs also the same as the Ensemble (dynamic range is 114 db and THD+N is -100 for both A/D and D/A)?

I can't find this info on the Apogee's site. Hope Max will chime in to answer this question...
Old 20th September 2007
  #214
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUGA View Post
I'm very interested in this product. So if the converter and the pres are the same as the Ensemble. Are the dynamic range and THD+N specs also the same as the Ensemble (dynamic range is 114 db and THD+N is -100 for both A/D and D/A)?

I can't find this info on the Apogee's site. Hope Max will chime in to answer this question...
ok i've posted twice for him to answer - nothin'

so mr. speculation (me) will guess

(1) the specs are better than the ensemble because of the more direct path
(2) they don't want to tell cause it's not as good

(3) either way 1 or 2 puts them in hot water with certain people - safest route (for apogee) is not to say - which (i don't know is a first?) how many converters are there out there that don't have any specs?
Old 20th September 2007
  #215
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
ok i've posted twice for him to answer - nothin'
I'm sure he's a fairly busy guy...

Quote:
(3) either way 1 or 2 puts them in hot water with certain people - safest route (for apogee) is not to say - which (i don't know is a first?) how many converters are there out there that don't have any specs?
This thing isn't even shipping yet...

He did say that the converters are the same as in the Ensemble...so I'm sure that the sonic differences, if any, would be marginal...maybe a little bit better because of the shorter signal path, as you say, or maybe not quite as good since it doesn't have a dedicated power supply, or maybe just the same...
Old 20th September 2007
  #216
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
I'm sure he's a fairly busy guy...


This thing isn't even shipping yet...

He did say that the converters are the same as in the Ensemble...so I'm sure that the sonic differences, if any, would be marginal...maybe a little bit better because of the shorter signal path, as you say, or maybe not quite as good since it doesn't have a dedicated power supply, or maybe just the same...
I hear ya about being busy

But why are specs missing? No specs in manual and No specs on website? It is a little strange isn't it? They post a feature set on the specs web page - but no specs

Apogee Electronics: Products: Duet Specs

Last edited by Dr Gruv; 20th September 2007 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: added link
Old 20th September 2007
  #217
Lives for gear
 

Maybe they don't want to give them away until they have enough preorders to cover the expenses heh
Old 20th September 2007
  #218
Lives for gear
 
Coyoteous's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
Maybe they don't want to give them away until they have enough preorders to cover the expenses heh
- funny, or maybe they don't really know what they are, yet - prototypes vs. production, etc. I would think buss powering and form factor are going to make a real world difference, that may or may not be compensatable in their design - even if the circuits are the same.
Old 20th September 2007
  #219
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post
- funny, or maybe they don't really know what they are, yet - prototypes vs. production, etc. I would think buss powering and form factor are going to make a real world difference, that may or may not be compensatable in their design - even if the circuits are the same.
Not sure... Don't many audio companies post specs before production?

I'm sure there are 'general' estimated ranges even after production considerations....

Could be wrong here - but I really think it is going to be #1. (the specs are better than the ensemble and they don't want you to know)

Because of the reduced signal path - it will be cleaner and have better specs than the ensemble - that's why they don't want to say (my guess) If you spent $2000 for one and found out that the $500 unit sounded better - would you be ok with that? Probably not.

So when max says it is in the range of the ensemble - that 'range' could also be a higher spec with better sound (or not)
Mind you - the specs could be a very 'slight improvement' but the specs would upset those that have spent money on ensemble and other high end products...

(just my guess)

Last edited by Dr Gruv; 20th September 2007 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 20th September 2007
  #220
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
If you spent $2000 for one and found out that the $500 unit sounded better - would you be ok with that? Probably not.
If you're talking about a 2-channel $500 unit versus an 8-channel $2000 unit...sure, I'd be okay with that.
Old 20th September 2007
  #221
Lives for gear
 

Duet specs out the same as Ensemble.
Old 20th September 2007
  #222
Lives for gear
 
Coyoteous's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Duet specs out the same as Ensemble.
- party pooper! heh (thanks, BTW)
Old 20th September 2007
  #223
wmitty
Guest
how would the AD-8000SE compare to the Duet?
A lot of my favorite records were tracked on AD-8000SE to PTMix 3 or Logic Pro.

Kind of funny. These same artists bebel gilberto, beyonce, and blue six release new material on 192I/Os and PTHD and they sound like crap.

But they 192 I/O ain't no apogee.
Old 21st September 2007
  #224
Lives for gear
 
Coyoteous's Avatar
 

I'm mixing two records tracked on 192's, that sound fantastic - B&K, AKG, Neumann through 1081 and Air remote pre's / Neve 88R.

Maybe Apogee would sound better, but I don't think it needs to sound any better.

That said, I'll probably be getting a Duet, if it can run after a hard drive (since there's only one FW port).

(added: if these 192 tracks sounded any better, you wouldn't be able to listen to them - seriously!)
Old 21st September 2007
  #225
Lives for gear
 

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Duet specs out the same as Ensemble.
thanx
Old 21st September 2007
  #226
Lives for gear
 
jslevin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmitty View Post
Kind of funny. These same artists bebel gilberto, beyonce, and blue six release new material on 192I/Os and PTHD and they sound like crap.
This is just ignorance masquerading as wisdom.

If a record sounds like crap, it sure as hell ain't because of a 192 i/o.

JSL
Old 21st September 2007
  #227
wmitty
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
This is just ignorance masquerading as wisdom.

If a record sounds like crap, it sure as hell ain't because of a 192 i/o.

JSL
The 192 Is a piece of crap and a very weak link in the chain.
The Beyonce Dangerously In Love was made using a C-800G and a U-87 through an ISA-430 through a AD-8000 to PT Mix 3. Her new album was made with a piece of crap 192 i/o, a VM1 KHE and a Great River Mic Pre to HD3. TEll me. What's the weak link in the Chain?

Same with Bebel Gilberto. Her early stuff was made using the AD-8000SE through Logic pro and PT Mix 3. Mics were a C-800G, U87 and a UM57. through a Neve and Avalon Mic Pres. The weak link there. The 192 I/O.

New New Album.
Piece of crap 192 I/O, U87, and C-800G mics, Avalon MIc Pre, Focusrite Mic Pre, all good except for the converter. THOSE CONVERTERS ARE CRAP.


I agree that mistakes can be made during mix down and mastering but starting the project by using a $hitty converter like the 192 I/O is a good way to get your songs to sound like CRAP.

dfegad192 I/O
Old 21st September 2007
  #228
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
I'll tell you what the weak link in the chain is.

Mixing/recording engineer and......mastering engineer.

I agree that the 192 isn't the world's greatest, but you simply cannot blame an album's sonics on that piece alone. Its more than adequate for making good albums.
Old 21st September 2007
  #229
Gear Maniac
 
Nerve Nickels's Avatar
 

Wow Lots of stuff going on...

Lack of Soft-Limit (+ no inserts) makes this useless no?

How to handle sporadic clipping of live sources ?
Old 21st September 2007
  #230
Gear Addict
 

I'm wondering how the latency will be with the Duet and Logic 8 on my Macbook Pro 2.4ghz? I've never used a software controlled interface before. So far, my Mbox does not give good latency results while tracking or using my MPD24 pad controller. The Mbox used to work great with my old PC desktop. Will the Duet be a huge step up as far as latency goes?
Old 21st September 2007
  #231
Gear Head
 
rubycakes's Avatar
 

Hey 192 flame war

Go away. I'd like to hear opinions about the duet not some pi**ing match between you guys and your superior musical equipment tastes. Go have your b*tch fest somewhere else.
Old 21st September 2007
  #232
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerve Nickels View Post
Lack of Soft-Limit (+ no inserts) makes this useless no?

How to handle sporadic clipping of live sources ?
Uh, what? Any converter worth looking at will be able to handle clipping without flinching. I clip my Lynx Aurora's HARD (sometimes by accident and sometimes on purpose) and I never hear a hint of nastiness. They don't have soft limit, and they don't need it.

And dsound, you will experience no latency while tracking with the Duet, because the monitoring is done through Apogee's own software. So you can run your daw at 1024 and experience no latency monitoring.
Old 21st September 2007
  #233
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Sweet dog, rubycakes. Is that a pit? Sorry for the ot.
Old 21st September 2007
  #234
wmitty
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I'll tell you what the weak link in the chain is.

Mixing/recording engineer and......mastering engineer.

I agree that the 192 isn't the world's greatest, but you simply cannot blame an album's sonics on that piece alone. Its more than adequate for making good albums.
true. i know the engineer who did a some work on B-day. he sucks. but because he's a cool guy he got the job.
Old 21st September 2007
  #235
Gear Maniac
 
Nerve Nickels's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Uh, what? Any converter worth looking at will be able to handle clipping without flinching. I clip my Lynx Aurora's HARD (sometimes by accident and sometimes on purpose) and I never hear a hint of nastiness. They don't have soft limit, and they don't need it..

I prefer to stay off the top...
Old 21st September 2007
  #236
Gear Maniac
 
jordanh's Avatar
 

I was doing a recording the other day on my ensemble and realized...I just love Apogee. This thing just sounds too good.

And then I realized. The little brother they are coming out with is going to be just as good and well needed too-- how will it stack with the ensemble?
Old 21st September 2007
  #237
Gear Addict
 

I notice that the Duet is powered via Firewire. I use a Glyph Key drive for audio with my Macbook pro. There's only one Firewire 400 on the MBP. What's the solution?
Old 21st September 2007
  #238
Lives for gear
 
rectifier's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsound View Post
I notice that the Duet is powered via Firewire. I use a Glyph Key drive for audio with my Macbook pro. There's only one Firewire 400 on the MBP. What's the solution?
google?
Old 21st September 2007
  #239
Lives for gear
 
rectifier's Avatar
 

hint: firewire hub
Old 21st September 2007
  #240
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

radical solutions abound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerve Nickels View Post
Lack of Soft-Limit (+ no inserts) makes this useless no?

How to handle sporadic clipping of live sources ?
Turn
it
down.

- c
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
overclock / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
4
slowjett / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump