The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac Audio Interfaces
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
Not to dog on your product or its design, Max, but the idea that this is good ergonomics is pretty silly. Duet only looks sleek and cool when it's in your hand. Once it's hooked up, it's still a bunch of cables sticking out, it's just through a breakout cable.

So the upshot is that the cool/sleek element is really just for the magazine ads, because unlike, say, an iMac, it isn't going to be particularly cool or sleek or ergonomic on anybody's desk. (For comparisons, consider the almost absurdly huge and boxy Mbox series on the one hand -- I've had apartments smaller than the Mbox 2 Pro -- or the Presonus Firestudio remote system on the other. On the whole, the Duet isn't doing too badly.)

This doesn't reflect badly on the quality of the product, at least not to me, it's just kind of amusing.

Totally agree on the stress relief part. As for the warranty coverage, that's only a comfort to me if Apogee is promising an aggressive advance-replacement policy on the breakout cable. Otherwise, as the earlier question suggested, first problem you have with any connector, your whole system is kaput. I will add that in the past, my experience with Apogee support has always been very good to excellent.

JSL
I totally agree with the above. I thought the reason for the breakout connectors was to save cost, but when Max said it was for aesthetics, I was surprised and it just seems a little bit laughable.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmshroom View Post
Those two are so different in price that there's no way you could possibly compare them in one sentence.

MBox2+ProTools = $495

Duet+LogicPro = $1,495

I don't know anyone who buys Logic Express, but even that costs almost double what the Digi option does;

Duet+LogicExpress = $795
Mbox2+P.Tools , plus you have to buy a convolution reverb , some sort of Auto-tune , soft-sampler, softsynths and some efx like flangers,phasers,stereo wideners, mastering tools etc,etc ....plus you are stuck with MBox quality and a limited app...

Duet+LogicPro , nothing more to buy, unlimited tracks, syncable to anything , no extra production tool kits for some more functions , stellar audio quality .

Mbox+P.Tools starts too fade away very fast for serious work in comparison IMO.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Those two are so different in price that there's no way you could possibly compare them in one sentence.

MBox2+ProTools = $495

Duet+LogicPro = $1,495

I don't know anyone who buys Logic Express, but even that costs almost double what the Digi option does;

Duet+LogicExpress = $795
Pro tools LE should be compared with Logic express IMO.

Also, if $795 is almost $1000 it´s also almost $495 lol.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Pro tools LE should be compared with Logic express IMO.
Even still, it's pretty much double the price. And considering the Duet has a lot less features than the Mbox2 (MIDI, S/PDIF, 4 ins, separate monitor outs, footswitch...).

And until Logic 8 actually comes out (rumors schrumors), I'm not sold on Apple caring about the product (and pro audio market) at all.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Even still, it's pretty much double the price.
Not really if 8 is almost 10 it´s also almost 5. But seriously mbox and le is more like maudio fasttrack and logic express.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes they do. The Mbox2 has digital...
Does it have adat & AES/EBU? it has 1 of the 3 points mentioned.
Does it have nice preamps?

If you run it on a recent mac book, you have digital I/O built into the computer.

If we start comparing features as opposed to what it does for the money we may bring M-Audio in here too. Maybe even Behringer....

I would say if someone wants 2 channels of Apogee AD that work with any core audio application and is tiny and sexy, it's a great unit.
People seem to be grumbling that it does suit their task or do exactly what they want.
If you need more outputs and features, there are options like the metric halo mobile I/O. It costs more. C'est la vie!

I think it's a great product with a huge market.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Even still, it's pretty much double the price. And considering the Duet has a lot less features than the Mbox2 (MIDI, S/PDIF, 4 ins, separate monitor outs, footswitch...).

And until Logic 8 actually comes out (rumors schrumors), I'm not sold on Apple caring about the product (and pro audio market) at all.
You work for digi and you are making comments like that? No wonder you seem to not like this product..

Kyung Sun Min

tutt tutt tutt tutt tutt
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifier View Post
You work for digi and you are making comments like that? No wonder you seem to not like this product..

Kyung Sun Min

tutt tutt tutt tutt tutt

BUSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT COOL MAN!!!!NOT COOL AT ALL!!!!!

Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Jazzpunk!
Old 11th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifier View Post

Kyung Sun Min

tutt tutt tutt tutt tutt
...but on the other hand, the comments he made about hardware are factual, and then he made a personal comment that simply said "he was not sold" - on what surely was only a loose prediction to begin with. a signature would have been nice, though.
Old 11th September 2007
why not try before giving opinions?
Old 11th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmatibet View Post
why not try before giving opinions?
the comments made were concerning SPDIF I/O, quantity of analog I/O, separate headphone / main outputs, footswitch, and absolute price... nothing qualitative about those hardware comments.

Duet should be great quality at an unheard of price point, though.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

I hope Apogee sells a BILLION of these so they'll have lots of money to hire more programmers so they can update the drivers superduperfast on the their SERIOUS products like Symphony.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Once you hold a Duet and cable in hand and see how cool it is that you can literally fit it in your front pockets, you immediately get it.
for the record, this is why i moved past my dislike of breakouts and really looked at the duet.

i want it for gigs and i have an pa i roll with so small is good. and i realized it is actually small enough to fit in my backpack along with my other gear....i think.

and this isnt as much of a complaint as it is a lament...but man...only 2 channels has me trying to figure out if i can really use it to gig. i am weighing how badly i want 2 channels of great conversion against only having those 2 channels in my "portable" interface.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I totally agree with the above. I thought the reason for the breakout connectors was to save cost, but when Max said it was for aesthetics, I was surprised and it just seems a little bit laughable.
The breakout cable is a great idea--this allows people who just want to use the Duet to write/monitor on the road (and not record) to leave the breakout cable at home or in another bag, it makes this such a small, easily transportable device.
Old 11th September 2007
all i have to say is this is the smartest move I have seen in a while as far as interfaces go. Apogee are gonna sell more of these than mbox. And when apple comes out with new logic this is gonna replace PTLE altogether in many homes.
Old 11th September 2007
pro
Gear Addict

Who here really gives a rats ass about beating digidesign or selling more than mbox...

what is this crap?

Give me a good design that actually works in the wild and i'm happy...
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro View Post
Who here really gives a rats ass about beating digidesign or selling more than mbox...

what is this crap?

Give me a good design that actually works in the wild and i'm happy...
A digidesign employee I think!
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Nut

2 Channels with 4 inputs means only 2 active inputs at a time, right? [/oh so hopeful question]
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
What exactly are they excluding themselves from?
They are excluding them selves from this perticular product being used with their app.
Well, sure, but not this product specifically...any audio interface really. And likewise Apogee is excluding themselves by not offering a standalone mode for it...not just from sales for Digi systems, but any other system out there. What's the big deal? I think both companies know what they're doing and both will survive...

Quote:
True, but Digidesign does support AES/EBU, S/PDIF and ADAT optical. CoreAudio is just another standard.

JSL

They don't for $500
Not all three formats, true, but they do S/PDIF (and one could argue that for $500 they support AES as well since you could get an MBox and a S/PDIF-AES adapter for $500).
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Who needs spdif on the duet when all mac powerbooks to optical spdif ???
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arimaka View Post
I think the idea is to be able to use the Duet as a standalone mic pre/converter in front of a PTLE interface. Of course I can only speak for myself but I know I'd definitely find standalone mode useful. I'm also sure I'm not the only one that uses both Logic Pro and PT LE/MP. Perhaps Apogee might want to reconsider adding this feature. If not, then I hope they consider releasing a 4x4 interface (2 analog+2 digital) with standalone mode and call it quartet or something. (...and yes I'd like fries with that)

Best regards
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodidactic View Post
Perhaps Apogee might want to reconsider adding this feature. If not, then I hope they consider releasing a 4x4 interface (2 analog+2 digital) with standalone mode and call it quartet or something. (...and yes I'd like fries with that)
Something between the Duet and the Ensemble would definitely get my attention.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'd hope that someone besides Max or any Apogee employee will be able to report via a side by side comparison of the Duet & the Mini-Me as to whether the Duet sounds "better" or not.

I understand business to the point of market positioning. I can obviously see the merits of a nice sleek product like Duet filling a need and doing it well, but to say it "replaces" the Mini-Me or has better this or that...well, really, they HAVE to say that!

They're also appealing to current Mini-Me owners to buy AGAIN in order to "step up" a notch.

My guess is there was not much profit margin for the Mini-Me (at ANY level), though, honestly, was a damn fine all-around piece of work!

It (Mini-Me) was always a steal and it just couldn't go on forever! Then there's indeed the APPLE thing...I look forward to a future complete merger..."APPLEGEE"!

Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
I think the Duet may be an option for those on a budget hoping to have the ability to record files that would even be worth transferring to a 'pro studio'. The Mbox most certainly is not.
A friend of mine just produced a record tracked entirely on an Mbox, then mixed in a pro facility. It wouldn't be my preferred way of working, but it will be released on a decent label and more importantly, I have no doubt it will be a terrific record.

Again ... I would have found a way to get better sonic quality for the tracking. But that doesn't mean it won't be a great record.

JSL
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arimaka View Post
You think you could use the Duet's preamps and converters, and output them through the MacBook's S/PDIF in real-time, with the signal then going into an Mbox or 001/2/3 and recording into Pro Tools?

Anyone ever tried clocking a Digidesign device off a Mac's built-in digital output? Sounds pretty dubious, but who knows, maybe it would work.

JSL
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Dude, you are so right. Apple doesn't have any plans for Logic 8. They don't care about pro audio. That is exactly why they collaborated with Apogee on the Ensemble, and it's pretty likely that they collaborated on this Mac only, Core Audio (hello podcasting and Garageband) friendly interface. Oh... wait...
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
So are you sold now? It was announced today, at only $499...
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro View Post
MBP already have Digital I/O, used with the Duet under an aggregate set-up gives you good I/O options. However, I need to know what are the technical trade offs of using core-audio under aggregate setups? added latency? less stable? added noise?

There must be added latency using the built-in within an aggregate setup... If you use the built-in on its own, the latency is pretty high.

Any latency figures available for the Duet on its own?

It's a shame the Duet cannot interface with the Symphony Mobile Expresscard I/O... so many folks use laptops for live rigs... For this reason I will probably wait for RME...
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
A friend of mine just produced a record tracked entirely on an Mbox, then mixed in a pro facility. It wouldn't be my preferred way of working, but it will be released on a decent label and more importantly, I have no doubt it will be a terrific record.

Again ... I would have found a way to get better sonic quality for the tracking. But that doesn't mean it won't be a great record.

JSL
Congrats to your friend but I think you already summed it up best here;

Quote:
Mbox is not an option for those who expect top sonic quality (in a single device)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search