The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac Audio Interfaces
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Couldn't one use the Mac's built-in audio as part of an aggregate for the separate headphone out? Just asking...

Best...H
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by logichead View Post
Couldn't one use the Mac's built-in audio as part of an aggregate for the separate headphone out? Just asking...

Best...H
Yes, Max from Apogee said as much earlier in the thread.

Duet.... all I can say is wow. First Ensemble, then Symphony, Symhony Mobile, now this? If Logic 8 ever comes out, its over.

APOGEE WINS!
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post

That being said, one of the coolest features of Core Audio is the ability to aggregate multiple devices into a single device. This includes built in audio I/O. So for cue mixes, aggregate Duet and the built in output on your Mac and you're good to go.
Is this possible? I've tried before but not managed it. Has anyone had any success with this?
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Nut

Max - what's the UK price on this? I'm kind of assuming it won't be a literal $ to £ conversion...
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtek View Post
Is this possible? I've tried before but not managed it. Has anyone had any success with this?
Yes.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtek View Post
I run aggregated devices all the time, it's my nr1 feature of OSX, couldn't do without
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

I will buy this 100% no doubt about it.......

Where can I get one?

When can I get one?

Sorry Metric Halo I almost pulled the trigger the other day but Atlas Pro didn't want to come down $25. dfegad

Now I stumble across this and I'm sold.....

I want to pay $475 not $495 however....
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

[QUOTE=chk027;1485731]I will buy this 100% no doubt about it.......

Where can I get one?

When can I get one?

QUOTE]

Duet by Apogee - Personal Pro Audio Interface
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

I may have missed this... does it have the UV22 or soft limit?

thanx
-mike
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatPye View Post
Max - what's the UK price on this? I'm kind of assuming it won't be a literal $ to £ conversion...
I've been too scared to ask...

I didn't want to assume that, as i fear i'd be wrong...
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

ARRGHHHH why Mac only?
Pls do something like this for Cubase.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
You assume correctly. All Core Audio apps are supported.

Max - Just to be sure, if I tried to use this with Cubase on the Mac, wouldn't I need an ASIO driver or is there something I am missing here? What would I see in Cubase as a selection?

FYI - if I find out I can use this with Cubase right now, this is most likely a done deal

Scott
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Nut

At first glance...i was turned off by the breakout cable.

but 500 bucks and what seems like great quality is making me think hard. i wanted to maintain with RME (i have the 800) when adding a portable component but this is looking better as i read...

is the only downside to a breakout cable the fact that one connector going means replacing the cable? is there anything else?
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Addict

I always read how these interface units ALWAYS have driver issues, I wonder if it is smart to let a couple months to go by before dropping coin, let the bugs work themselves out.

Then strike!

Waddaya think?
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Looks like a real breakthrough, can't wait to hear one. Always frustrating to see a great converter/interface product come without adequate digital i/o. Not only can't you use this as a stand-alone AD/DA, you can't even decouple the preamps from the converter (or interface) from what I can tell. Big F-U to Digidesign customers.

At the risk of offending both companies ... doesn't it seem like Apogee Duet would make a brilliant companion to lower-cost multi-channel interfaces, like the Presonus Firestudio or FP10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mix-it-well View Post
ARRGHHHH why Mac only?
Pls do something like this for Cubase.
The market for premium quality audio hardware for Windows is incredibly small. This is why RME started providing Mac compatibility -- and excellently so -- and Metric-Halo never ported their stuff to Windows -- and VST/Windows is always the last format that any high-end plug-in supports. People who are willing to spend money on great-sounding DAWs generally own Macs. It's not always the case, but enough so to define the market.

This, by the way, has nothing to do with mastering systems, which are a completely different market.

JSL
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
Looks like a real breakthrough, can't wait to hear one. Always frustrating to see a great converter/interface product come without adequate digital i/o. Not only can't you use this as a stand-alone AD/DA, you can't even decouple the preamps from the converter (or interface) from what I can tell. Big F-U to Digidesign customers.
I think the breakout cable has both 1/4" jacks for instrument input and XLR´s for mics.

Digidesign are the ones that are excluding them selves by not suporting core audio like evryone else IMO. Since when did digidesign invite other interfaces to work with their app?
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal View Post
I believe the breakout cable was necessary as making room for two XLR and four 1/4" connectors would have made the device quite a bit larger and uglier. I've heard from a reliable source that there will be a much heftier and longer multicore breakout cable available. It will terminate with a connector "brick", similar to a small AC plug strip that can lay on the floor or be screwed under, or on the side of a desk.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Is the attenuation digital or (digitally controlled) analog?

Many thanks
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
Big F-U to Digidesign customers.
It's not an FU. It's a smart and aggressive play to cut into the MBox market and lure potential customers over to Logic.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
Is the attenuation digital or (digitally controlled) analog?
It's digitally controlled analog.
Old 10th September 2007
TZk
Gear Maniac

Since Duet has a "special" socket could it be that in the future apogee releases a
s/pdif connector to plug it into this "special" socket ?

what about the clock , how does that work ?
if you connect an ensemble and slave logic that means the duet is slaved by logic/ensemble also ?
or is this like the mini-me a master clock only ?

this is a great on the road device !
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
It's not an FU. It's a smart and aggressive play to cut into the MBox market and lure potential customers over to Logic.
It's a big play because if it sounds as good as their Ensemble , you have a powerful high quality and portable writing/recording rig , where you can definately have keeper tracks for a record .

This is a real winner for Apogee , now just imagine Logic 8 gets released , they can bundle it with this interface, and it won't have limitations like P.Tools LE heh

The choice would be Mbox/P.Tools or Apogee/Logic , wonder what people would choose ?
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

Cubase? ASIO drivers? anyone? I have a credit card out, my cell phone in hand with the last digit of the number for the store ready to press...
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Cubase supports core audio on mac no??
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Cubase supports core audio on mac no??
All audio, except for ProTools, uses CoreAudio on OSX. ASIO doesn't even exist, and there's no need for it either.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM View Post
All audio, except for ProTools, uses CoreAudio on OSX. ASIO doesn't even exist, and there's no need for it either.
Yes but It was ment as a reply to the post above mine.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM View Post
Thanks!!!! I will shut up now. I have a call to make....
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore98 View Post
Thanks!!!! I will shut up now. I have a call to make....
heh Report back how you like it
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal View Post

but 500 bucks and what seems like great quality is making me think hard. i wanted to maintain with RME (i have the 800) when adding a portable component but this is looking better as i read...

is the only downside to a breakout cable the fact that one connector going means replacing the cable? is there anything else?
There are some real advantages to the breakout cable. First, using a breakout allowed us to create an ergonomic interface that looks really great on your desktop. If the connectors were build in, Duet would not have this cool form factor. Once you hold a Duet and cable in hand and see how cool it is that you can literally fit it in your front pockets, you immediately get it.

Another problem with many desktop interfaces is that once you plug your guitar or mic cables directly into the box, you end up pulling the box all over your desk or yank your your speaker cables out with one quick turn in the studio, etc. The breakout cable acts as a natural strain relief so that your Duet stays in place.

The breakout also allows you to get all of your connectors off the destop if desired, by hanging the cable over the back of the desk. Cables connected directly to the box end up all over your workspace. The duet cable makes sure you can get some of the clutter out of your way.

Finally the Duet breakout cable is covered under Apogee's warranty. As long as you refrain from using it as a cat o' nine tails to punish your fellow musicians for missing their cue, forgetting the lyrics, or putting yellow mustard on your pastrami sandwich, We dont forsee any problems.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Max...

Max, does it have the UV22 or soft limit?

thanx
-mike

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search