The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac Audio Interfaces
Old 21st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
Brand new, yes. But you can get a Metric-Halo ULN-2 used for as little as $750, and it whips the Duet in all three categories, plus it has inserts and a full complement of digital i/o..
So what your saying is if I get lucky I may get to buy a ULN-2 with no warranty for double the money?
Old 21st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
So what your saying is if I get lucky I may get to buy a ULN-2 with no warranty for double the money?
Metric Halo is a great company to deal with though. IF you were to need repairs, they are fast to respond. Great customer service.

It really depends on your needs though. If you only need 2 in 2 out, the Duet is great. But that's all you're going to get. No S/PDIF, AES, ADAT (on the 2D version), inserts, extensive routing capabilities, word clock, etc. Not to mention the ULN-2 is upgradable. They are big on their producs being future proof. For that extra $350, you get A LOT more for a used ULN2. It's really comparing apples to oranges.

To me, the Duet is more of disposable device. Once it breaks and is out of warranty, pitch it and get another. The ULN to me is more of an investment that will last many, many years. Plus, you can expand I/O easily by piggybacking more MH boxes.

Sonically, I haven't heard them side by side, but I've owned both. I'm now using a legacy ULN-2. I sold the Duet over a year ago. They both sound good though.
Old 22nd October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
What I am saying is that the Duet isn't priced like a Cadillac and doesn't drive like one, either. The ULN-2 does, and it's within reach for many potential Duet buyers. More features, better converters, VASTLY better preamps. The difference in price is money very well spent.

JSL
Old 14th January 2011
Here for the gear

Really???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCL View Post
I've always understood that point. Apogee has long advertised this in print ads for the Duet and Ensemble. Whether Apogee or Apple, your products do not work completely as advertised, and we're getting very little communication about it. This the real issue here and why everyone is so upset and venting on this forum about it. You guys work with Apple very closely. Cutting to the chase, we as users are basically looking for good communication rather that pat answers that keep us at an arm's length from any knowledge that can helps us with our business. We rely on what you print in your advertisements when you say the device is core audio compliant. We've had no reason to imagine all the problems we would all encounter with these products. And it's the length of time we've had to put up with these issues that is also a contributing factor. It's been going on for almost 6 months now.

Most of us are working professionals, and we'd really appreciate being clued in on what's happening. Case in point, I applaud Digidesign's Dave Lebolt's recent communication to its customers. That's all what we want too. We love Apogee products, we want to work with them. This a good thing, but we need better customer support and communication.

I think VSL, East-West and Digidesign, are all companies that understand that a new business model for customer communication is emerging. Apple (and therefore Apogee) is unfortunately going in the opposite direction.
I have had an apogee duet for two years and have had no problems. And I don't know how you can say digidesign has good support. It is such a pain to work with and they have great support because they know they have problems! I got my Duet and just plugged and played, no problems about it. Digidesign can't even get their interfaces to work with Reason, one of the best softwares out there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search