The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac Audio Interfaces
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocaditorium View Post
OK. Here goes.

Got the Duet last week. Using it with a MacPro running OS 10.4.11. Recording to Logic. Wondering if anyone else has noticed a noise bed that sounds like chirping birds. Very faint unless i crank the gain on the monitors, but definitely there when i come out of the Duet line outs and back into Logic for two track master. Some sort of conversion ugliness? May also be coming through the firewire somehow. I asked Apogee support about it and even had him listen over the phone and got, "wow, it shouldn't be doing that," but no suggestion how to resolve it.

The unit works fine otherwise.
I experience the same problem you are talking about, but only when I use balanced 1/4 inch cables to hook up the outputs of the Duet. When I tried using unbalanced cables borrowed from a different connection in my studio, I didn't hear those noises anymore. My Duet is basically used for remote recording and production purposes, so I have been loafting on switching the Duets connections to unbalanced and still have to deal with the noise, but I just turn down the volume on the speaker's amps to cope, so its barely audible.
Old 20th January 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
I experience the same problem you are talking about, but only when I use balanced 1/4 inch cables to hook up the outputs of the Duet. When I tried using unbalanced cables borrowed from a different connection in my studio, I didn't hear those noises anymore. My Duet is basically used for remote recording and production purposes, so I have been loafting on switching the Duets connections to unbalanced and still have to deal with the noise, but I just turn down the volume on the speaker's amps to cope, so its barely audible.
I loaded OS 10.5.4 today and it seemed to clear it up. Even cleaner when DI is used to convert unbalanced to balanced so I guess that's how I'll keep it. Pheww. Because I really couldn't deal with it at all, especially when it printed to the stereo master thru the board.
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Nut

Thinking about getting a duet to replace/augment my ageing 828 mk1 and for mobile work, reading this excellent thread has raised a few questions - would be grateful for some clarification:

I'm increasingly having to work on headphones - how good is the headphone amp on the Duet?

I use a Macbook running 10.5.5 with Logic 8 for mobile stuff, and my dual 2.5 PPC G5 running 10.4.11 and Logic 7 in the studio - will the Duet work ok with this older set-up?

I've also read here of problems with the Duet when using other Firewire devices - is this just when daisy-chaining the Duet? I use up to 3 firewire drives with my G5, and would like to be able to run the 828 as well on occasion...

Thanks
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

i dont know how the duet daisy chains with others, just want to tell you that you cannot chain FROM the duet. it has one firewire port
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
i dont know how the duet daisy chains with others, just want to tell you that you cannot chain FROM the duet. it has one firewire port
My apologies - I meant with the Duet - have edited the post
Old 6th February 2009
Here for the gear
After many months of owning a Duet and having consistent problems with my it, I found the culprit. The Duet was conflicting with a Belkin 3 port FW800 PCI card even when this card wasn't being used. As soon as I removed it from my set up the Duet never ended up distorting. I contacted Apogee and they recomended a Siig or Adaptec PCI card, the Belkin is problematic even though it has a Texas Instruments chipset.
The Duet would also conflict with Focusrite Saffire soundcard if they shared the same bus, I'm wondering now if I put the saffire on the separate PCI bus with a compatible Firewire card will it work?
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Wow, the last couple of posts really made me think about swapping FW ports. I have an external HD on my FW 800 bus (with a 400 to 800 cable) and the Duet on my FW 400 buss. I'm gonna swap busses and see what happens. I was doing a live performance on the radio and had Moog Modular plug playing (not frozen.....this particular patch has a nice dual delay that I really haven't figured out how to replicate with any other plug) and I had to stop, quit Ableton, and restart. about 20 seconds in to the song. Of course, this was college radio (on an AM band) so, probably 6 people outside of the studio actually heard it.

Mortal Engines on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos.
Old 10th February 2009
Here for the gear

New Member asks Apogee versus A/D converter for Focusrite ISA 220?H

Hi dax-baxter here, first time I've tried this site or blogging for that matter. Not sure where this new post will show up? Question is: I do voice-overs, I just bought a Focusrite ISA 220. I'm interested in upgrading A/D converter from M-box. Is the Apogee Duet a better converter than the one for the ISA 220 (ordered separately)? I know it won't work with Mbox...I could use Apogee if I go that way to go into Garage band. Like apogee's flexibility for traveling light as well. While I'm at it...anybody know whether it's worth investing in ISDN equipment with the coming of IP protocals? I have source-elements but have yet to use it with a client. Get occasional ISDN bookings but not enough to make me feel comfortable investing in ISDN system....anybody got a good used dealer if I do? Sorry about the 'dual' question. Thanks Dax
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dax-baxter View Post
Is the Apogee Duet a better converter than the one for the ISA 220 (ordered separately)?
It is generally accepted that the Duet has the best mic preamps, A/D, and D/A than any audio interface under $1500.
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
It is generally accepted that the Duet has the best mic preamps, A/D, and D/A than any audio interface under $1500.
Brand new, yes. But you can get a Metric-Halo ULN-2 used for as little as $750, and it whips the Duet in all three categories, plus it has inserts and a full complement of digital i/o.

Also, the ISA 220 is not an interface, and I would not be surprised if its conversion was as good as or better than the Duet's.

Having said all that for the poster's question, the Duet does seem like a big upgrade over the ISA 220 and the Mbox, and simpler and lighter to travel.

JSL
Old 13th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Fortunately fixing things is as easy as changing the sample rate then changing it back or some similar type of action.
I am going to try this the next time it happens. Would that be the input or output sample rate?
Old 1st March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremattos View Post
Amazing!
I just have 2 Duets , i wiil try it out!

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony--> View Post

the guy in the shop convinced me that it would via aggregated, so I gave it a shot and it's worked out very well indeed.

I hope you can see by this pic the two different Duets in Logic....

Were you guys ever able to record using 4 mics and the aggregated duets?
Old 4th March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by desotoslo View Post
Were you guys ever able to record using 4 mics and the aggregated duets?
Yes please talk more about your experience on this because it looks like a good solution.
Old 4th March 2009
Lives for gear

Tony had PM'd me back (thanks, Tony!) and said he was indeed able to use 3-4 inputs when ganging the Duets...

anyone else? it definitely seems like a good solution for those of us who could use than more two channels, can't afford the ensemble, and like the Duet enough to keep thumbsup
Old 6th March 2009
Lives for gear

Has anyone had success with aggregating the digital out from the Macbook with the firewire output of the Duet?

In other words, I'd like to do a digital out to a separate device at the same time as outputting in my firewire port.

?
Old 7th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by desotoslo View Post
Tony had PM'd me back (thanks, Tony!) and said he was indeed able to use 3-4 inputs when ganging the Duets...

anyone else? it definitely seems like a good solution for those of us who could use than more two channels, can't afford the ensemble, and like the Duet enough to keep thumbsup
Hey ya David, is there any chance you could lend a friends Duet to see how it sits with what you would like to use possibly two Duets for? Just an idea if it's feasible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
Yes please talk more about your experience on this because it looks like a good solution.
Hey blayz, I'm currently using my two Duets on a G5 Dual 1.8, I've a MacBook Pro but haven't bothered using two Duets with that yet.

I'm using the front and rear FW 400 ports that come with the Mac and no other FW devices or FW Hubs.

All I can say is that using two Duets in Aggregate works, I can also send from either of the Duets signals out of the Duets to external sources also, lets say Duet no:1 outs 1 & 2 goto a compressor via line in on the comp and Duet no:2 outs 1 & 2 goto synth via unbalanced in you can do this! then back in to which ever Duet you want to send the signals to.

I think the Duet has a great sound to it, it's very crisp, the only thing that can be a pain are the breakout cables (2x Duets=Spaghetti hell) I'd say that the breakout box would solve the nightmare >>Breakout Box<<.

I've been doing some mobile work lately using the two Duets and it's worked without a hitch, the only problem for me now is I need more ins and outs so I'm going down the road of a MOTU HD192 which affords me much more flexibility and is easier to work with=no spaghetti :-)

Peace.
Old 18th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb415 View Post
I am going to try this the next time it happens. Would that be the input or output sample rate?
Either one if I remember correctly. For example, if you change the sample rate for ouput, input will automatically change to match.
Old 23rd May 2009
Lives for gear

So the question here is can I use 2 duets in Aggregate Mode to record with 4 mics if I am using 2 separate firewire buses on my Macbook Pro?
Old 7th July 2009
Gear Nut

fav mics with the duet? anyone?
Old 11th July 2009
Here for the gear

Macbook Not Recognizing Duet

Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gororb View Post
duet works fine on my mini... however, just tried it on the macbook, and the software doesn't pop up, and when I manually bring it up, the controls are blank... as for the duet, when I plug it in, the LED lights bust into the red and stay there... conversely, it sometimes goes blank, as if it's off... possible firewire problem?
Try restarting the Macbook while the Duet is connected...
Old 12th July 2009
Here for the gear

Old 12th July 2009
Here for the gear

Old 12th July 2009
Lives for gear

!! heh
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Head

Does this interface work well daisy-chained to a FW800 HDD?
Old 8th October 2010
Here for the gear

No doubling Duets

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalnyc View Post
Max,
The Duet looks amazing - and if it sounds even better than Mini-Me, everyone is in for a real sonic treat. Can you use two Duets at once in Garageband? I can't seem to find the answer to that anywhere.
Thanks so much,
Peter

I just got off the phone with Apogee's tech support...the guy said "no you cannot use two duets at once even with two separate firewire ports."

When I told him I heard some one had done it, he just said, "well, you can try..." and went on to say it wasn't meant to do it
Old 9th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdcaudio View Post
I just got off the phone with Apogee's tech support...the guy said "no you cannot use two duets at once even with two separate firewire ports."

When I told him I heard some one had done it, he just said, "well, you can try..." and went on to say it wasn't meant to do it
Well he's full of caca. I've often used aggregate devices which include my Duet (with internal or USB interfaces) and I'd be quite shocked if using 2 Duets at the same time didn't work at all.
Old 9th October 2010
OMU
Lives for gear

No idea about 2 Duets, but it works flawlessly aggregated with the internal soundcard.
Old 21st October 2010
Here for the gear

Has anyone seen any diagnostics about this product and the new avid line for Pro tools LE users?
Old 21st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack View Post
Well he's full of caca. I've often used aggregate devices which include my Duet (with internal or USB interfaces) and I'd be quite shocked if using 2 Duets at the same time didn't work at all.
For whatever reason, tdcaudio dug out a pretty old post to reply to. Drivers have been updated since then, and the OS has moved on some too. So it would not surprise me if what may not have been possible back then, is possible now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search