The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac Audio Interfaces
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by desotoslo View Post
hmm. you seem to have accomplished the impossible. really? you can record with 4 channels via duet(s)?
No, not the impossible, just not supported thats all, I've not had a go at recording 4 things at once to be honest, can send stuff out and back in, one Duet as the master out to my speakers and the other Duet to a headphone mix, works fine, would rock if they both came up in the same mixer window in Maestro, just a matter of switching and selecting which one to use for XLR phantom or XLR line
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

wow, thanks. very interesting. (hope you didn't take offense at my cynicism btw)
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
wow, thanks. very interesting. (hope you didn't take offense at my cynicism btw)

I'm totally cool, no problems what so ever this end, I'd ask similar questions myself.

I was skeptical that it would work, the guy in the shop convinced me that it would via aggregated, so I gave it a shot and it's worked out very well indeed.

I hope you can see by this pic the two different Duets in Logic....
Attached Thumbnails
Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac-duets-picture.jpg  
Old 25th November 2008
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony--> View Post

I'm totally cool, no problems what so ever this end, I'd ask similar questions myself.

I was skeptical that it would work, the guy in the shop convinced me that it would via aggregated, so I gave it a shot and it's worked out very well indeed.

I hope you can see by this pic the two different Duets in Logic....
Amazing!
I just have 2 Duets , i wiil try it out!

thanks
Old 26th November 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by andremattos View Post
Amazing!
I just have 2 Duets , i wiil try it out!

thanks
Let us know you get on as well ...I was considering getting a Ensemble, because I really want some more IO, but this may be a god solution.
Old 26th November 2008
Lives for gear

Ive just ordered a Duet and was wondering how effiecent the device is at low latency
Old 26th November 2008
Lives for gear

i don't think the device itself will have anything to do with the latency performance. how logic gets along with your machine will make the difference, i.e. buy more ram.

it does have a built in mixer for no latency monitoring.
Old 27th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroom View Post
Ive just ordered a Duet and was wondering how effiecent the device is at low latency
with my old powermac g4 i get at a very smallish project with only 7 stereo tracks and one reverb plugin 77samples=4ms latency dropout free playback.
Old 27th November 2008
Lives for gear

with my konnekt i never got anything near 10ms latency. i never got stable audio, too.
Old 27th November 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
with my konnekt i never got anything near 10ms latency. i never got stable audio, too.
With a mid2007 Macbook Pro (2.2Ghz), I typically run it at 32 samples for recording etc. It doesn't have an issue at all.
Old 27th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
THx for the info

I too have found not all interfaces are equal at low latency
Old 27th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
With a mid2007 Macbook Pro (2.2Ghz), I typically run it at 32 samples for recording etc. It doesn't have an issue at all.
this is amazing in my book.
how much ms does it take the audio to travel from the speaker to the ear?
Old 27th November 2008
Lives for gear

Conversion of time difference and sound path distance or length millimeters time of arrival calculate calculation - sengpielaudio

if you are about 3 feet away from your speakers, then about 3 ms.

"Sound engineers take usually the rule of thumb:
For the distance of 1 m the sound needs nearly 3 ms."
Old 27th November 2008
Lives for gear

I used to run an aggregate interface with Logic ( MOTU896HD + Soundflower 16ch ) but I´ve got a feeling that it was not as solid rock stable as only the MOTU driver alone. I´ve got some clicks a few times a day running aggregate device.
Old 28th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
Well I cannot match that. I can track at about 180 samples and then I kick it up to about 200 samples when am tracking guitars/vox and the like. 15ms of latency is no big deal for me though.
Old 28th November 2008
Lives for gear

but 200samples to not translate to 15ms latency, right?
Old 23rd December 2008
Lives for gear

Hi... anyone else occasionally experience crazy distortion through the Duet when recording into Logic?

Softsynths, mic ins, line ins, direct out... the distortion is not localized.

Often, restarting the Duet and Logic solves the problem, sometimes changing the sample rate, and sometimes even having to restart the computer.

It happens more than just once in awhile. The duet sometimes works perfectly fine...

thanks for any input. wonder if i should send my duet in for a repair before the warranty's up.
Old 23rd December 2008
Quote:
Hi... anyone else occasionally experience crazy distortion through the Duet when recording into Logic?

Softsynths, mic ins, line ins, direct out... the distortion is not localized.

Often, restarting the Duet and Logic solves the problem, sometimes changing the sample rate, and sometimes even having to restart the computer.

It happens more than just once in awhile. The duet sometimes works perfectly fine...

thanks for any input. wonder if i should send my duet in for a repair before the warranty's up.
Never had that problem, I would send it back.
Old 24th December 2008
Gear Addict

I get the distortion thing when my laptop's CPU starts to get to around 90%.
Old 24th December 2008
Lives for gear

hey man! yea, totally. I am getting way less CPU than ever in Logic 8. I don't know what happened!
Old 24th December 2008
Gear Addict

The crazy thing is that it's not just Logic. Duet's driver goes into distortion with any app when the CPU usage goes up. Safari, Finder, Quicktime, iTunes. If I use built-in audio, or some other audio hardware, there's no distortion at high CPU levels.
Old 24th December 2008
Lives for gear

Man, that explains everything... is the only solution a faster processor? i guess at least to use our fancy programs.

maybe i'll switch back to 7.2.3 express. that was fast and solid. oh yea, and possibly grabbing a really versatile hardware synth. those logic-synths and reason-rewire both hog resources, at least in L8.

Thanks for the input, friend - preciate it.
Old 25th December 2008
Here for the gear

Any other options to get two headphones outputs from the duet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz View Post
$100 Powerplay Pro by Behringer can sort that out

Another great product by Apogee, might buy one just because it looks so damn cool heh
Hi, I own a duet which works fine for me cause I mainly record piano-keyboard (midi) and voice. However lately I've been playing with a bassist and I would really like to record my normal setup plus the bass, the only problem here is that I would need an other headphone output for the bassist headphones.

Is there another option rather than buying a Headphones Distribution Amplifier? maybe using the 1/4 monitor outputs??

Thanks
(first post here in Gearslutz
Old 25th December 2008
Gear Nut

The simplest thing would be to use a Y cable to split the output of the Duet headphone jack.
Old 25th December 2008
Gear Maniac

I have encountered the distortion issue with my MacBookPro if I run multiple (3 or more) instances of Reaktor 5. Oddly enough, the CPU meter did not register much of a hit (6%). I would close and re-open Live 7 and the issue would resolve itself. I have gotten around it by freezing my Reaktor tracks when done working on them. Also, if you have to unplug the Duet while the MBP is powered up, shut down the computer before plugging it back in. I had to uninstall the drivers, re-install the factory disc and download and re-install the update....the whole time freaking out, of course. I still love the way this thing makes my tracks sound...in and out.

Mortal Engines - ReverbNation
Old 6th January 2009
Lives for gear

The typical distortion issue I know of seems to be a normal thing with not just the Duet, but ocassionally other interfaces too. Nothing is fullproof and perfect all the time. Fortunately fixing things is as easy as changing the sample rate then changing it back or some similar type of action. Getting a new Duet will not change the issue for this case. For guys who can repeat their distortion issues at will, there is definitely something wrong somewhere with your setup. Try hooking it up to a different firewire port or something and see what happens.
Old 6th January 2009
Lives for gear

thanks... the distortion issue i mentioned was definitely due to CPU overload.
Old 9th January 2009
Lives for gear

Have any of you downloaded and installed the Dec '08 update? I just did, so far no problems.
Old 9th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb415 View Post
Have any of you downloaded and installed the Dec '08 update? I just did, so far no problems.
thanks for reminding. downloading now...
Old 15th January 2009
Here for the gear

OK. Here goes.

Got the Duet last week. Using it with a MacPro running OS 10.4.11. Recording to Logic. Wondering if anyone else has noticed a noise bed that sounds like chirping birds. Very faint unless i crank the gain on the monitors, but definitely there when i come out of the Duet line outs and back into Logic for two track master. Some sort of conversion ugliness? May also be coming through the firewire somehow. I asked Apogee support about it and even had him listen over the phone and got, "wow, it shouldn't be doing that," but no suggestion how to resolve it.

The unit works fine otherwise.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search