The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac Audio Interfaces
Old 9th October 2008
Lives for gear

I've had a Duet for a few months now. Sounds freakin awesome for the price. 2 clean pres with a TON of gain and crystal clear converters for ~$500!

Anyone know if the volume attenuator is analog after the conversion or digital before it?
Old 9th October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by PheelTheMusic View Post
I've had a Duet for a few months now. Sounds freakin awesome for the price. 2 clean pres with a TON of gain and crystal clear converters for ~$500!

Anyone know if the volume attenuator is analog after the conversion or digital before it?
I'm sure I read somewhere in this thread that it is digitally controlled analogue. So i.e you are not loosing bits a lower volumes. Hopefully someone can qualify that?
Old 10th October 2008
Lives for gear

thanks for your info blayz.

2 more questions:

1. The polarity switch in Maestro is not just affecting the monitoring, right? It actually inverts the polarity of the track going to tape (disc)?

2. Do you find that the Duet has the worst sounding clipping you have ever heard? If I ever cross 0db even by 0.5db it sounds like a chainsaw is exploding in your ear. Obviously digital clipping always sounds terrible but this is actually painful.
Old 10th October 2008
Lives for gear

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by grawk View Post
The problem happens even in itunes. As far as I can tell, there is no way to change latency or buffer settings when not in logic/etc. If I'm missing something, I'd love the additional information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desotoslo View Post
have you tried messing around in audio/midi setup?
last night I had the digital distortion problem in iTunes. I loaded audio/midi setup and changed the output configuration to 48khz. it didn't actually stick at 48khz, but went back to 44.

this, however, did immediately solve the distortion issue!
Old 13th October 2008
Lives for gear

normaly i am on PC, but i just got a macbook pro for some on the road work.
i use cubase 4.5.1 - is there any known problem when using DUET?
it seems like duet is very optimized for logic ...
any cubase / duet users here?

cheers!
Old 14th October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by duvalle View Post
normaly i am on PC, but i just got a macbook pro for some on the road work.
i use cubase 4.5.1 - is there any known problem when using DUET?
it seems like duet is very optimized for logic ...
any cubase / duet users here?

cheers!
I would say it's more optimized for OSX, but is directly accessible from within Logic.
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
I would say it's more optimized for OSX, but is directly accessible from within Logic.
thx for the reply ...
i ordered a duet today.
as far as i read the firewire problems and KP's are solved now in 10.5.5.

cheers!
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

max, how do you guys feel about the fact the new macbooks don't have a firewire connection?

what does this say about the future of firewire?
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear
I don't think it really says anything about Firewire as such but speaks loudly about where Apple see their Macbook (not Pro) in the marketplace.
I am sure Apogee would not be too thrilled however... even though they would definitely see the DUET in the Prosumer market.
Old 17th October 2008
Gear Nut

How does the Apogee Duet work with the new Alu Macbook??? hmmm Apple made a BIG MISTAKE... We ALL need to file...
Old 17th October 2008
Gear Nut

Thumbs down

I hear APPLE went back to using Lucent/Agere FW chipsets on the Macbook Pro... Did they make another BIG MISTAKE here???
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

maybe we'll see usb dongles for the duet

to be honest, 2 channels on usb 2.0 should be easily handled ALTHOUGH I do recognize the various whitepapers that claim usb is not a viable audio solution, just sayin'...

kinda cruddy myself, since a firewire port is what, $5?

I have a cheapo compaq laptop and it has no firewire. Sometimes i wonder if i opened it up would i see a firewire port just covered with plastic?

many ovens are built this way...the difference between the $400 and $800 oven are the buttons that connect to the circuit. Other then that it is the same EXACT oven.
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricfiddle13 View Post
I hear APPLE went back to using Lucent/Agere FW chipsets on the Macbook Pro... Did they make another BIG MISTAKE here???
Perhaps you should get that absolutely confirmed, as well as if the original problem was in the chipset itself or if there was some other problems that caused it. I mean common, lets hear from someone actualy reporting problems with the new macbook pro before the moaning begins.
Old 18th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleodgrant View Post
max, how do you guys feel about the fact the new macbooks don't have a firewire connection?

what does this say about the future of firewire?
I think Max moved to Digi...
Old 18th October 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah, he started working for them a few months back...
Old 18th October 2008
Gear Nut

Any Usb work arounds for using the Duet with the new Macbook? I would think not... Anyone try the FW800 to 400 adapter cable on the new Macbook pro???
Old 18th October 2008
Quote:
Anyone try the FW800 to 400 adapter cable on the new Macbook pro???
Apogee has, it will work just fine, as it should.

I use an SSL Duende on my FW800 port (older MBP) via an adapter cable, there are no problems at all.
Old 19th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Any Usb work arounds for using the Duet with the new Macbook? I would think not...
Are you serious? There's no way on earth that a USB to Firewire adapter will enable you to run the Duet from the new MacBooks properly.

It probably won't work, but even if it does work it won't work properly. USB is +5v DC rail only, it doesn't go lower or higher, and only has a +-0.5v tolerance. Firewire is +8v to +30v in increments of 0.5v and with tolerances usually lower than 0.25v. USB takes roughly 0.5A of current. Firewire can take up to 1.2A of current.

USB is asyncronous, and there is no way to force it to change it's syncronisation locking pattern. Firewire is asyncronous and isocronous. Isocronous means it can lock it's syncronisation to a timestamp which guarantees a stable stream of data.

That is the reason why firewire is hugely preferred over USB for most professional audio (and video) applications.

Ben
Old 22nd October 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital View Post

USB is asyncronous, and there is no way to force it to change it's syncronisation locking pattern. Firewire is asyncronous and isocronous. Isocronous means it can lock it's syncronisation to a timestamp which guarantees a stable stream of data.

That is the reason why firewire is hugely preferred over USB for most professional audio (and video) applications.

Ben
I wish Steve Jobs knew this...
Old 10th November 2008
ocp
Here for the gear

Has anyone tried aggregating two Duets? If so, how did it go?
Thanks in advance
Old 10th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocp View Post
Thanks in advance
Its not supported.
Old 17th November 2008
ocp
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
Its not supported.
could you share your experience? what went wrong?
cheers
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Question 10.5.5 and Duet (Logic 8.02 Pro)

Hi all,
I would like to know if 10.5.5 (OSx) is safe using DUET + Logic 8.02 Pro !?
I am on 10.5.0(OSx) + Duet + Logic 8.02 Pro , no issues , but i would like upgrade to 10.5.5

Anyone ?

thanks for any help
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremattos View Post
Hi all,
I am on 10.5.0(OSx) + Duet + Logic 8.02 Pro , no issues , but i would like upgrade to 10.5.5

Anyone ?

thanks for any help
I'm running the above with no issues (Duet. Logic 8.0.2, OS 10.5.5) .........
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelindsay View Post
I'm running the above with no issues (Duet. Logic 8.0.2, OS 10.5.5) .........
Great!
I will upgrade now!

Thanks!!
Old 24th November 2008
Here for the gear

What do you think about the headphoneamp?
Anyone compared it with others?
I`m going to buy a duet, also because I`m really pissed of with the sound of my macbooks headphoneamp.

thanks...
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremattos View Post
Hi all,

Anyone ?

thanks for any help
No issues here either.
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcferrison View Post
What do you think about the headphoneamp?
Anyone compared it with others?
I`m going to buy a duet, also because I`m really pissed of with the sound of my macbooks headphoneamp.

thanks...
It's certainly better than macbook headphone amp... but it's also not "tops" or anything... I use the headphone out of my stereo power amp and find that it's a bigger sound (wider, deeper).

But it's still quite good, in my opinion. Things sound great out of the Duet any way you cut it.

except when it's doing its digital distortion bull with logic...
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocp View Post
Thanks in advance
Hi ya, I'm running two Duets together, no problems what so ever, just select Aggregate devices In Logics audio driver thingy and you're good to go (thats if you have set them up in Audio/Midi setup first
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony--> View Post
Hi ya, I'm running two Duets together, no problems what so ever, just select Aggregate devices In Logics audio driver thingy and you're good to go (thats if you have set them up in Audio/Midi setup first
hmm. you seem to have accomplished the impossible. really? you can record with 4 channels via duet(s)?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search