The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac Audio Interfaces
Old 15th January 2008
  #721
Here for the gear
 

Old 15th January 2008
  #722
Here for the gear
 

i bought a duet a month ago and so far it has been working great on its own.
when i try to use it as part of an aggregated device in mac osx 1.4.10 though i never can get it to work quite right.

i'm using logic8 and have a m-audio 1814 that i want to use to track snare, kick and 2 toms and then use the duet to track the OH mics.
the duet is plugged into the second firewire port of the 1814 which is plugged into the FW port of my macbook pro. (the duet is set as the clock) but whenever i record the sound is really badly distorted, even at really really low levels.

i have a feeling that the problem is most likely that the duet is not hooked up directly to the mac, but i figured i'd ask here before i go out and buy an extra firewire card.
Old 17th January 2008
  #723
Gear Head
 
ipressrecord's Avatar
 

Is the Duet able to be a master clock for another piece of hardware via a firewire connection? I see this option come up in Digital Performer when my BLA 828mk2 and the Duet are both hooked up, but so far aggregate devices is a now go for me. I get distortion and weirdness.

Jeff
Old 17th January 2008
  #724
Lives for gear
 
macgee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipressrecord View Post
Is the Duet able to be a master clock for another piece of hardware via a firewire connection? I see this option come up in Digital Performer when my BLA 828mk2 and the Duet are both hooked up, but so far aggregate devices is a now go for me. I get distortion and weirdness.

Jeff
there's a way around this to get it to work! i initially got the weirdness too but if you connect the Duet to the serial firewire port on the 828MKII and then do the aggregate device then things seem to work nicely! i think another important part was witch clock was master

let me know how it goes
Old 27th January 2008
  #725
Here for the gear
 

Unhappy problem >< help me!!

i am japanese . so i can't write English very well sory ....

please help me , i have troubled my apogee duet.

i use condenser mic ??mic input with 48V

but sometimes ,,,,, when i set in state of recording,

noize is occer,,,,it is NOT occer Continuation.?it occer 'sometimes'

i also use guitar ? inst input . but i do not meet such problem.

only mic use,,,,

so i checked mic, no pleblem ?checked by company that made my mic?

WHAT'S HAPPENED?????

Please help me,,,,,

INST???APOGEE DUET???INTEL CORE 2DUO IMAC? ??LOGIC PRO 8
Attached Files

Output 1-2.mp3 (186.8 KB, 161 views)

Old 27th January 2008
  #726
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOSHI View Post
i am japanese . so i can't write English very well sory ....

please help me , i have troubled my apogee duet.

i use condenser mic ??mic input with 48V

but sometimes ,,,,, when i set in state of recording,

noize is occer,,,,it is NOT occer Continuation.?it occer 'sometimes'

i also use guitar ? inst input . but i do not meet such problem.

only mic use,,,,

so i checked mic, no pleblem ?checked by company that made my mic?

WHAT'S HAPPENED?????

Please help me,,,,,

INST???APOGEE DUET???INTEL CORE 2DUO IMAC? ??LOGIC PRO 8
I don't know that sounds pretty good to me???

Check the cable connection, try a different mic to rule out the small things... first.....than you can narrow it down
Old 28th January 2008
  #727
Gear Addict
 

Duet users please help!

I recording Acoustic guitar, easy enough right???

You know basic set up, mic through the duet pre to the Macbook...... I have the gain as high as possible without clipping....

When I listen in logic it is coming in well below the level of a professional mastered CD...

I will reference it with something like AIC or Counting Crows..

So I put some logic Fx's to work, compress, EQ, and the only thing that can get it up to level is the GAIN effect at the bottom of the list...

WTF? Does this sound right?

If I go Grace through the Mastering Compressor of a Zoom 1044 DAW, out through the duet to the Macbook the Guitar sound great and at a great level....

Why not straight to the Macbook??? It also sounds lifeless through the Duet in comparison..????

Anyone getting great results with just the duet and Logic, what set up is being used??
Old 28th January 2008
  #728
Lives for gear
 

I wouldn't worry about the level as long as you're not clipping. You're comparing it to a mastered song that has been limted to god knows how much. Mix the song first then worry about loudness later.
Old 28th January 2008
  #729
Lives for gear
 
Ghost Logic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewomb View Post
anyone know if there is an upgrade to the AD-16X and DA-16X? there like four years old!
maybe an upgrade to bring them into line with the rest of the apogee gear, all silver as shinny...

TW
They sound amazing, why do they need to be upgraded? Do you actually have a pair of these and have a problem with their sound?
Old 28th January 2008
  #730
Lives for gear
 
jslevin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chk027 View Post
I recording Acoustic guitar, easy enough right???
No. It's not easy.


Quote:
You know basic set up, mic through the duet pre to the Macbook...... I have the gain as high as possible without clipping....
Why? You should leave more headroom for possible transients. If you're peaking at -10 or -12, there won't be any audible resolution difference. Hell, even at -30 you probably couldn't tell any difference once you turn up the volume.

Quote:
When I listen in logic it is coming in well below the level of a professional mastered CD...
Well, sure. It hasn't been professionally recorded, mixed or mastered. Why would you expect it to sound as though it had?

Professional gear does not make for professional results -- even in the hands of very gifted musicians. Many studios are actively proving this every day. Music production is a whole set of skills unto itself.

Quote:
I will reference it with something like AIC or Counting Crows..
Well, at least you're referencing.

Quote:
So I put some logic Fx's to work, compress, EQ, and the only thing that can get it up to level is the GAIN effect at the bottom of the list...
Seems like you need to read up on the theory of how things like compression and EQ work. It's not just what to use, it's how to use it and why. You don't seem to have the slightest real understanding of gain structure.

Quote:
WTF? Does this sound right?
Yep.

Quote:
If I go Grace through the Mastering Compressor of a Zoom 1044 DAW, out through the duet to the Macbook the Guitar sound great and at a great level....
I believe the level, but I doubt it sounds "great" in a neutral environment to trained ears. Lord only knows what that "mastering compressor" is doing to your signal.

Quote:
Why not straight to the Macbook??? It also sounds lifeless through the Duet in comparison..????
Because it's not being hyped up by cheap prosumer signal processors. When you want to step up from that kind of product, you'll find you have to upgrade your own skills along with the gear, or else you might as well stick with the Grace/Zoom combo.

Worked with an artist recently who had an Avalon preamp and an old, cheap Roland digital effects unit. He'd been using them for 6-7 years in his bedroom, and when he heard what "real recording" sounds like, he hated it. He'd just gotten used to the good presets on his bad effects unit, and nothing else sounds right to him anymore.

It's like, if you did food prep at McDonald's for five years, would you even recognize real meat and real fresh vegetables when you got out of there?

JSL
Old 29th January 2008
  #731
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
Because it's not being hyped up by cheap prosumer signal processors. When you want to step up from that kind of product, you'll find you have to upgrade your own skills along with the gear, or else you might as well stick with the Grace/Zoom combo.

Worked with an artist recently who had an Avalon preamp and an old, cheap Roland digital effects unit. He'd been using them for 6-7 years in his bedroom, and when he heard what "real recording" sounds like, he hated it. He'd just gotten used to the good presets on his bad effects unit, and nothing else sounds right to him anymore.

It's like, if you did food prep at McDonald's for five years, would you even recognize real meat and real fresh vegetables when you got out of there?

JSL
I think I get the point.....and I believe what you are saying.....I guess I'm like that client you mentioned....

I don't believe I know how and when to use a compressor the correct way.

I do have a decent ear and recognize good sound, but I don't have the skills of an engineer to create it the right way....I guess I'm more like a hack......

thanks for the feedback, how much would it cost to get something mastered by someone who did know their chit?
Old 29th January 2008
  #732
Lives for gear
 

Everything jselvin said is true, but here's a quick and dirty trick you might try and see what you think. Record it in peaking soemwhere from -10 to -15. Then double click the region in logic to open it up in the wave editor, look through the menus until you find the "normalize" command, and normalize it. That should get your levels closer to the right ballpark, without clipping or compressing it.

Someone will probably list a lot of reasons why this is horrible advice, and they might be right, but if there's not too many tracks I don't think it will hurt.

It won't sound all "pro," by modern standards, without compression, and that is really hard. I guarantee your sound will be better off without the zoom. I am very much not a fan of the comps that come with logic, either. Also, unless you have pretty good monitors, you can't even hear what a comp is doing to set it.
Old 29th January 2008
  #733
Lives for gear
 
j-uk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chk027 View Post
Duet users please help!

I recording Acoustic guitar, easy enough right???

You know basic set up, mic through the duet pre to the Macbook...... I have the gain as high as possible without clipping....

When I listen in logic it is coming in well below the level of a professional mastered CD...

I will reference it with something like AIC or Counting Crows..

So I put some logic Fx's to work, compress, EQ, and the only thing that can get it up to level is the GAIN effect at the bottom of the list...

WTF? Does this sound right?

If I go Grace through the Mastering Compressor of a Zoom 1044 DAW, out through the duet to the Macbook the Guitar sound great and at a great level....

Why not straight to the Macbook??? It also sounds lifeless through the Duet in comparison..????

Anyone getting great results with just the duet and Logic, what set up is being used??
Although it's probably been this case for a number of years gear manufacturers hype of "Buy our stuff and sound like a PRO!!" seems to have been told so many times now that people don't even know it's often just a selling argument.
I meet lots of people mostly young students but also seasoned musicians who have no or very little understanding of what mastering is and what a mastering engineer does. Many of them get very frustrated when their home recorded music doesn't sound like a CD and in a sense rightly so since so few manufacturers actually offers any kind of explanation of how to make a demo sound good but instead only go: Use our awesome phat mastering comp with the ultra whackedy whack limiter and it will sound JUST LIKE YOUR FAVORITE RECORD!!!!!!
Old 29th January 2008
  #734
Lives for gear
 
Dysanfel's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chk027 View Post
Duet users please help!

I recording Acoustic guitar, easy enough right???

You know basic set up, mic through the duet pre to the Macbook...... I have the gain as high as possible without clipping....

When I listen in logic it is coming in well below the level of a professional mastered CD...

I will reference it with something like AIC or Counting Crows..

So I put some logic Fx's to work, compress, EQ, and the only thing that can get it up to level is the GAIN effect at the bottom of the list...

WTF? Does this sound right?

If I go Grace through the Mastering Compressor of a Zoom 1044 DAW, out through the duet to the Macbook the Guitar sound great and at a great level....

Why not straight to the Macbook??? It also sounds lifeless through the Duet in comparison..????

Anyone getting great results with just the duet and Logic, what set up is being used??
I get good results with my Duet; however, recording solo acoustic guitar can be VERY challenging. Variables include sample rate, microphone, mic pre, mic placement, room characteristics, skill with the instrument, monitoring, and FX placed upon the signal. Any one of these variable can make a recording terrible.

For me Acoustic guitar is the second most challenging thing to record next to acoustic drums.
Old 29th January 2008
  #735
Gear Maniac
 

i love recording acoustic guitar with a martech mss10....it's sounds great at it's worst....through the crappiest of converters,too.....
Old 30th January 2008
  #736
FFF
Here for the gear
 

its ok…

ok, but, is the duet sounding great with the correct mic, knowledge, etc? its not a joke, im only want to know the quality of the converters and pre´s. for me, its the main thing in the acquisition of this unit, to got a good point of start to learn a few tricks to record.
thanks.

PD: its duet sounding great with the on-board out making an aggregated device, using the on-board out for cue mix?
Old 30th January 2008
  #737
Lives for gear
 
Dysanfel's Avatar
All I can say is that it sounds better than my 002R.
Old 30th January 2008
  #738
Gear Head
 
cold c's Avatar
 

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodidactic View Post
I hope they consider releasing a 4x4 interface (2 analog+2 digital) with standalone mode and call it quartet or something.
If this product existed now (with standalone mode + balanced IO and digital IO) I'd buy it, and I'm not even a Mac user.


Last edited by cold c; 30th January 2008 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 31st January 2008
  #739
Lives for gear
 
jslevin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chk027 View Post
I think I get the point.....and I believe what you are saying.....I guess I'm like that client you mentioned....
Maybe, but you don't have to be.

Quote:
I don't believe I know how and when to use a compressor the correct way.
Sure, but you could learn.

Quote:
I do have a decent ear and recognize good sound, but I don't have the skills of an engineer to create it the right way....I guess I'm more like a hack......
The kind of ear you say you have is one with sensitivity and taste. An pro engineer has these things but also has trained his/her ears to be able to hear sonic information in more detail. There is so much information in the sound you're hearing, and until you have more experience, and until you make a commitment to really learning and understanding what you're hearing and how the tools work -- rather than just twiddling knobs and trying out presets -- until you do those things, you can't have the skills to hear and decode and understand everything you're hearing and deal with it effectively, all the time. Basically, you may have the ears to make good decisions, but you don't have the ears to understand the problems yet. So yeah, you're more like a hack.

But there's no rule that says you have to remain a hack. And for whatever it's worth, I still consider myself more or less a hack.

JSL
Old 31st January 2008
  #740
Lives for gear
 
jslevin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold c View Post
If this product existed now (with standalone mode + balanced IO and digital IO) I'd buy it, and I'm not even a Mac user.
This product does exist now. It's called the Metric-Halo ULN-2, and it's priced right about where you would expect, in between Duet and Ensemble.

But yes, it would be cool if Apogee made something similar.

JSL
Old 31st January 2008
  #741
Lives for gear
 
jslevin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by robd View Post
Someone will probably list a lot of reasons why this is horrible advice, and they might be right, but if there's not too many tracks I don't think it will hurt.
Um, well, I don't think it will harm the audio quality, but it may harm his ability to learn to work effectively with the audio. One of the best things you can do is learn to deal with loudness last. You want it to sound louder, turn up the volume knob on your speakers. Get a good recording first. Then deal with whatever processing you want to do, EQ, reverb, a little compression. Do all of these things without employing a limiter for loudness. And then, at the very end, when it sounds as good as it can, play with the limiter a little to make it a little louder. But don't rely on the limiter (or the trick above) to make the sound good or loud. Make it good first, worry about loud last.

JSL
Old 31st January 2008
  #742
Gear Addict
 

all of the advice above is very good stuff...

I would like to thank everyone for the advice, when I learn to post a song I will to see what people think of what I'm doing....
Old 3rd February 2008
  #743
Here for the gear
 

Apogee Duet vs. TC Konnekt 24d

hey all,

I'm just getting into recording and am looking to do a few things.
1) Record a grand piano
2) Record Vocals
3) Use my new macbook for live keyboard situations (Logic's mainstage or ableton live)

So the contenders I've been looking at are the Apogee Duet and TC's Konnekt 24D. The general vibe i've been gathering is that the sound quality for recording purposes is better in the duet. Do you think the duet is better than the Konnekt 24d for recording a grand piano/vocals? The Konnekt 24d offers more features for live situations and also has adat and midi functionality, but if the sound quality of the duet is far superior perhaps it would be better to get the duet, and then buy another midi/usb unit for running aleton live. Any thoughts? Any other digital interfaces I should consider in this price category? Cheers!
Old 3rd February 2008
  #744
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigALINC101 View Post
hey all,

I'm just getting into recording and am looking to do a few things.
1) Record a grand piano
2) Record Vocals
3) Use my new macbook for live keyboard situations (Logic's mainstage or ableton live)

So the contenders I've been looking at are the Apogee Duet and TC's Konnekt 24D. The general vibe i've been gathering is that the sound quality for recording purposes is better in the duet. Do you think the duet is better than the Konnekt 24d for recording a grand piano/vocals? The Konnekt 24d offers more features for live situations and also has adat and midi functionality, but if the sound quality of the duet is far superior perhaps it would be better to get the duet, and then buy another midi/usb unit for running aleton live. Any thoughts? Any other digital interfaces I should consider in this price category? Cheers!
I never heard any of those, but I think the sound quality won´t be a night and day difference...
If you need more inputs get the T.C.
Old 8th February 2008
  #745
Lives for gear
 
andremattos's Avatar
 

Cool

My Duet will arrive in a couple of days ..heh

Max (Apogee) or any one , please tell me if DUET and Rosetta 200(w/X-firewire Card) works with Maestro software ? in the same time ?

This is my plan :

Duet --(FW port)--> X-Firewire port (Rosetta 200) --> iMac Aluminum (FW400 port) ?!
Is it possible ?

i heard that DUET doesnt work(same time) with another Apogee(Maestro) using FW ports

let me know
thanks for any help
Old 9th February 2008
  #746
Lives for gear
 
andremattos's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremattos View Post
My Duet will arrive in a couple of days ..heh

Max (Apogee) or any one , please tell me if DUET and Rosetta 200(w/X-firewire Card) works with Maestro software ? in the same time ?

This is my plan :

Duet --(FW port)--> X-Firewire port (Rosetta 200) --> iMac Aluminum (FW400 port) ?!
Is it possible ?

i heard that DUET doesnt work(same time) with another Apogee(Maestro) using FW ports

let me know
thanks for any help
Old 19th February 2008
  #747
Lives for gear
 
hogo's Avatar
 

Anyone know if they plan on a USB version any time soon?
Old 19th February 2008
  #748
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogo View Post
Anyone know if they plan on a USB version any time soon?
I hope not
Old 19th February 2008
  #749
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogo View Post
Anyone know if they plan on a USB version any time soon?
Very unlikely. Coping with the clock issues is painful in the extreme, and the power limits would make a Duet in its current form impossible. So you would need to compromise the design in a number of unfortunate ways. It would be close to a total redesign. A lot of the audio quality comes from using this extra power very very carefully.

Unless you really really wanted to use it with a Mac Book Air there is no reason to want USB.

(In principle you could use a double USB plug to pull double the allowed current, which would just squeak in the needed power. But since the MB Air only has one USB socket anyway, the only only reason for a USB version still remains useless.)

In the end Firewire is the right technology for many reasons. USB isn't and probably never will be.
Old 7th March 2008
  #750
Gear Maniac
 

im sitting on the fence with this, do you think the preamps would be equal to or better than an RNP< GRACE 101 or true p SOLO?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
overclock / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
4
slowjett / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump