The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac Audio Interfaces
Old 21st December 2007
Gear Head

JSL... all good points. We can agree to disagree on some of them, though. Again, I don't think that any one clip or group of clips are the be all end all of scientific tests, but the sound of the mics definitely shine through as they were all equidistant from the 12th fret of my Taylor acoustic. Remember, this test was first and foremost a comparison of sorts between capsules. I just happened to receive the Duet the same week and record through it as well.

Is it possible to test and compare converters? I mean, do you need to record several records of 16+ track mixes for months and then try out another converter? How can one scientifically compare and contrast? I'm curious to hear some opinions. Like I said, stock vs. BLA MOTU 828mk2 interface was night and day when switching between them on the same material and set of speakers. This was a D/A listening test. Same cables. Same monitors. I even had non-musical members of my family take a blind test to see what they thought and they picked the BLA 828mk2. So why won't this work, for A/D and D/A, between two interfaces?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
Since you're in Philly, I'd like to invite you to meet me in Old City sometime so we can continue this discussion over a Lager.

JSL
I will definitely take you up on that offer. I shall PM you!
How's business been?

Jeff
Old 27th December 2007
Gear Addict

does anyone have any alternative ways that they are using or running the Duet, other than using an external pre????
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Nut

Is anybody else having trouble with the Instrument Amp output mode?

When connecting my amp to the outs in this mode I get loud humming - far worse than I get just with my guitar.

I would have thought this mode would correct for impedence issues but maybe thats what I'm hearing? Anyone shed some light?

Is it working fine for others?
Old 9th January 2008
Lives for gear

I got one and now I'm running it on a PC with Leopard on it !
Old 10th January 2008
Lives for gear

I bought one for $415. I love it. Selling my 002R.
Old 11th January 2008
Gear Maniac

"I bought one for $415. I love it. Selling my 002R."

Where did you find it for that price?

D -
Old 11th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrebrito View Post
hey there, i'm looking to move to mac and getting a duet for track by track work (i also have an audiofire12 for when i need more i/o). could you post what the specs are on your pc and how well this is working for you? this may be an alternative for me...
Old 11th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
A PC with Leopard?
Old 11th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oortnyc View Post
"I bought one for $415. I love it. Selling my 002R."

Where did you find it for that price?

D -
I don't want to put my salesman on a spot, but just about any retailer can sell it for that if you haggle.
Old 11th January 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
I don't want to put my salesman on a spot, but just about any retailer can sell it for that if you haggle.
Or at least to $450 if you only "have that money with you". You could have gotten it for $420 this past christmas with the music123.com sale.
Old 11th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Got mine for $396 total, no tax (out of state) and free shipping.

Was a Musician's Friend "phone order only" special (20% off - Dec 15th) for previous customers... very sweet deal.
Old 12th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
Got mine for $396 total, no tax (out of state) and free shipping.

Was a Musician's Friend "phone order only" special (20% off - Dec 15th) for previous customers... very sweet deal.
That price is probably very close to 10% over cost.
Old 13th January 2008
Lives for gear

Would like to know

I'm about to buy a New Mac Book Pro and i am waiting until Apple to announce the new generations. But my concern is the following, at the same time i will be buying the MBP, i will be buying Logic Pro 8 full bundle plus the DUET Apogee. Now my only and big concern is the following:

In my studio, my desktop is based on PC running Nuendo and its rock damn solid. And i'm buying the MBP for when i'm traveling to be able to do some work, mixing or pre-mixes etc.. Now i will have Logic wich i know a bit but not too much. But one thing for sure, i really wnat to buy the Duet but i don't wanna be stuck in case if lets say i don't really like the vibe in Logic and wanna use my favorite DAW Nuendo.

So i was wondering if Nuendo would work with the DUET? Because one thing for sure, if not, i will have to check to a more versatile small Firewire and very portable Soundcard for my MBP. And if NOT, witch firewire or USB soundcard in the same range price would you suggest and that is rock solid in terms of Drivers?

Finally what do you guys think about Firewire versus USB soundcard? Witch of them is best?

Thanx for any help and suggestions!

Cheers!
Old 13th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
That price is probably very close to 10% over cost.
I've got one of those coupons for MF's "winback" program. In my case, it was because they really messed up an order. Same deal though, 20% off - good 'til the end of Feb. I need to find out if it's for one item or a whole order, though. It just says "on your next purchase."
Old 13th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
I'm about to buy a New Mac Book Pro and i am waiting until Apple to announce the new generations. But my concern is the following, at the same time i will be buying the MBP, i will be buying Logic Pro 8 full bundle plus the DUET Apogee. Now my only and big concern is the following:

In my studio, my desktop is based on PC running Nuendo and its rock damn solid. And i'm buying the MBP for when i'm traveling to be able to do some work, mixing or pre-mixes etc.. Now i will have Logic wich i know a bit but not too much. But one thing for sure, i really wnat to buy the Duet but i don't wanna be stuck in case if lets say i don't really like the vibe in Logic and wanna use my favorite DAW Nuendo.

So i was wondering if Nuendo would work with the DUET? Because one thing for sure, if not, i will have to check to a more versatile small Firewire and very portable Soundcard for my MBP. And if NOT, witch firewire or USB soundcard in the same range price would you suggest and that is rock solid in terms of Drivers?

Finally what do you guys think about Firewire versus USB soundcard? Witch of them is best?

Thanx for any help and suggestions!

Cheers!
the DUET should work with any core audio application quite happily which means Nuendo on the mac will be fine

firewire is still the preferred medium as far as USB/Firewire interfaces go as it's more reliable
Old 13th January 2008
Lives for gear

Sounds good

HEllo Mac!

Thank you for the confirmation about Duet working in hand with Nuendo on a MBP. That assures me and confirms.

Appreciate it! Now looking forward to when the MBP will be released and i hope it will be before the end of this month because time is running!

Cheers!
Old 13th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
HEllo Mac!

Thank you for the confirmation about Duet working in hand with Nuendo on a MBP. That assures me and confirms.

Appreciate it! Now looking forward to when the MBP will be released and i hope it will be before the end of this month because time is running!

Cheers!

no prob. i have noticed a driver issue with the DUET that i need to report to the guys. i'm getting a few random bursts from my speakers once in a while that i never get with my Motu 828MKII. i don't have the MOTU plugged when this happens. i've experienced a few glitches here and there and even cases when audio wouldn't play at all through the DUET and even restarts wouldn't resolve it. as soon as i unplugged the DUET and then plugged it back in then everything was fine again - it was connected fine to start as i already checked that! i'm still getting the busts though i don't know what what's about but i reckon it's a driver issue.

another thing is that the DUET is supposed to be capable of controlling the SPL in logic and i've tried several things and i'm still not able to do this successfully even with the latest logic 8 update...i've mailed MAX and started a thread but nobody seems to have jumped in to help!

anyways....cheers g
Old 13th January 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
HEllo Mac!

Cheers!
Hey MY, if you are planning to run Nuendo on a MBP with Bootcamp (WinXP), I think your other DAW runs on windows, it wont work. Its a Mac OSX only device.

ciao

Dan.
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

One question ,
Duet + Ensemble works together ?
is it possible in Logic 8 pro or DP5 ?

Duet FW400 port out <----> Ensemble FW400 port extra <-----> IMac or MB FW400 port?
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

Hey Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmixman View Post
Hey MY, if you are planning to run Nuendo on a MBP with Bootcamp (WinXP), I think your other DAW runs on windows, it wont work. Its a Mac OSX only device.

ciao

Dan.
Hey my man! No worries, no i'm not planning to run Nuendo on MBP with Bootcamp. NO if i'm running nuendo i will running in OSX. Thanx for the answer... my concern was more being able to run Nuendo and Apogee Duet, if Nuendo would recognize the DUET but i got the answer and its YES.

Gracias amigo!!

Later, speak soon

Bonne tournee!!
Old 14th January 2008
Here for the gear

does anyone know if the Duet is capable of +4db Line Level input? There seems to only be mention of -10db line level input (consumer)..
Old 14th January 2008
Here for the gear

anyone know if there is an upgrade to the AD-16X and DA-16X? there like four years old!
maybe an upgrade to bring them into line with the rest of the apogee gear, all silver as shinny...

TW
Old 14th January 2008
Here for the gear

anyone know if there is an upgrade to the AD-16X and DA-16X? there like four years old!
maybe an upgrade to bring them into line with the rest of the apogee gear, all silver as shinny...

TW
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
does anyone know if the Duet is capable of +4db Line Level input? There seems to only be mention of -10db line level input (consumer)..
Yes it is capable of + 4dB
Old 14th January 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yes it is capable of + 4dB
Is it only capable of +4db input using the XLR inputs? or can you do it with the 1/4" inputs?
Old 14th January 2008
Here for the gear

Has anyone compared the DA section of the Duet to dedicated units such as the Lavry DA10 or the Benchmark DAC1?

Also, has anyone compared it to the Apogee Mini-DAC?
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewomb View Post
This is a good joke, I'm just not sure if it's intentional.

JSL
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monologuist View Post
Is it only capable of +4db input using the XLR inputs? or can you do it with the 1/4" inputs?
Yes, only XLR for +4 dBu. The XLR inputs are selectable between Mic, +4dBu and -10 dBV. The 1/4 inch are unbalanced and accept instrument and -10 dBV line levels.
Old 15th January 2008
Here for the gear

Old 15th January 2008
Here for the gear

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search