The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac Audio Interfaces
Old 24th November 2007
Lives for gear

has anyone identified what type of clock is in the Duet?? Is it the same clock as the Ensemble?
Old 25th November 2007
Gear Nut

Can you individually switch the inputs? ie. Have one as mic and one as instrument/DI? I'd be surprised if you couldn't but I'd just like to check.
Old 25th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman65 View Post
Can you individually switch the inputs? ie. Have one as mic and one as instrument/DI? I'd be surprised if you couldn't but I'd just like to check.
Yeah you can.
Old 25th November 2007
Gear Addict

I will try and keep this short, and excuse me in advance if it sounds like a stupid question.....newbie to this ****...

I have a digital 8 track, sounds like **** compared to what i have been doing with this DUET....

It has about 6 songs that I would like to take to my mabook, and I was wondering if I could wire them through the duet to Garageband via the line in......

If not I could download them to the PC make a wave and bring them in via a .wav....

What is the proper way to do this? Can the Duet enhance these tracks at all?? They are all pretty clean recorded through a Grace pre....

Anybody?
Old 25th November 2007
Gear Head

Duet Mbox Question

Slutz please help!!

Can I run PT LE with input from MBOX but output thru DUET???

Thx n Advance

Old 25th November 2007
no. I don't think there is spdf on the duet.
Old 25th November 2007
Old 25th November 2007
Gear Nut

other images i found

Old 25th November 2007
Gear Nut

video describing the unit and its features including maestro software...lang spanish

YouTube - Broadcast 2007. Reflection Arts.

Last edited by truth123123; 25th November 2007 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: tried to embed it
Old 25th November 2007
Gear Nut

I got photo from bigblluelounge.com (forum)....thanks to franjipane

Old 25th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbass View Post
Slutz please help!!

Can I run PT LE with input from MBOX but output thru DUET???

Thx n Advance

You would have to run the MBOX line outs into the Duets line ins. That would be the only way. It would work, but you'd be doing double conversion and would defeat the purpose of using the DUET.

There is no way to route your PT master fader output directly to the Duet outs as PT LE only works with Digi hardware, unfortunately. :(
Old 25th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocalvoodoo View Post
You would have to run the MBOX line outs into the Duets line ins. That would be the only way. It would work, but you'd be doing double conversion and would defeat the purpose of using the DUET.

There is no way to route your PT master fader output directly to the Duet outs as PT LE only works with Digi hardware, unfortunately. :(
This is what SUCKS about Digidesign, the limitations and restrictions on the user.
Believe me, i love Protools software, but the LE version is too dated and limited for todays standards, and HD is WAAAY too expensive, and TDM Plugins..lets not even go there.
Kudos to Apple and Apogee for a great solution and integration with Logic 8, I know its not perfect yet, but i expect great things to come. I thought i never say this "Digidesign please wake up and smell the coffee" the music business has changed and technology has changed it. Please give us options and solutions that we can afford and use!
Old 25th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEng1 View Post
This is what SUCKS about Digidesign, the limitations and restrictions on the user.
Believe me, i love Protools software, but the LE version is too dated and limited for todays standards, and HD is WAAAY too expensive, and TDM Plugins..lets not even go there.
Kudos to Apple and Apogee for a great solution and integration with Logic 8, I know its not perfect yet, but i expect great things to come. I thought i never say this "Digidesign please wake up and smell the coffee" the music business has changed and technology has changed it. Please give us options and solutions that we can afford and use!
Isn't THAT the truth?!?! That's finally pushed my over the edge and helped my make my decision to go with Logic. I also LOVE Pro Tools, but it's just silly now considering all the limitations. I figure they'll catch up one day, I hope.
Old 25th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chk027 View Post
I will try and keep this short, and excuse me in advance if it sounds like a stupid question.....newbie to this ****...

I have a digital 8 track, sounds like **** compared to what i have been doing with this DUET....

It has about 6 songs that I would like to take to my mabook, and I was wondering if I could wire them through the duet to Garageband via the line in......

If not I could download them to the PC make a wave and bring them in via a .wav....

What is the proper way to do this? Can the Duet enhance these tracks at all?? They are all pretty clean recorded through a Grace pre....

Anybody?
You won't really get any benefit from running the 8 track through the DUET. You'd probably be better off just exporting the wav files from the 8 track. That way they stay on their original form without the extra AD/DA from the DUET. Try it both ways though. Maybe going through the DUET will color the sound in a way you like.
Old 25th November 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocalvoodoo View Post
You won't really get any benefit from running the 8 track through the DUET. You'd probably be better off just exporting the wav files from the 8 track. That way they stay on their original form without the extra AD/DA from the DUET. Try it both ways though. Maybe going through the DUET will color the sound in a way you like.
Cool, thanks Voo, I tried going through the Duet today......and I'm going to try the other way. I think you are right it just slightly changed the sound a bit nothing major...I just went with the fastest method for now.....I will export next....
Old 26th November 2007
Gear Head

Are there any problems when you daisy chain an external hard drive (used to record on to) with the Duet?

I have MacBook, so only one FW400 port. Is there a difference in performance if I connect it MacBook>Duet>HD, or MacBook>HD>Duet? Or will I be better of with a FireWire hub?
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

I wonder if they'll have windows drivers on the horizon...or am I gonna have to get a mac?
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

I take back what I said earlier about Aggregate Devices working with the Duet. Tried to record using the Duet and the internal input on my Macbook today, with the Duet set as the master clock and it worked for about a minute. Then crackle city. Ended up having to use the internal soundcard to clock the Duet, which ruined the sound and still had sputters every once in a while. Oh well.........
Old 26th November 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I take back what I said earlier about Aggregate Devices working with the Duet. Tried to record using the Duet and the internal input on my Macbook today, with the Duet set as the master clock and it worked for about a minute. Then crackle city. Ended up having to use the internal soundcard to clock the Duet, which ruined the sound and still had sputters every once in a while. Oh well.........
Serious? It's a shame because everyone seems to report that agg. devices work poorly whereas Apogee keep parroting that its a useful and competent feature.

What about using the inbuilt outs with the duet?
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

'fraid so my friend. It just didn't work. I was recording for others in a very time constrained situation, so I couldn't trouble shoot. But I checked the aggregate device editor, and the Duet was the master, input 1-2 the slave, etc. I was recording to an external drive on my Macbook with Tiger. When I switched to the internal clock as the master, it worked better, but there were still some major hiccups. Thank god I bought Izotope RX. I would be screwed without a decent audio restoration tool right now.

I'm not sure what you meant by using the inbuilt outs. I used the Duet outs to monitor. All the problems sounded like clocking problems. Hope they get this fixed. Im amazed at how much the Duet clock cleans up the sound of the inputs on the Macbook, when it works.
Old 30th November 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by papercut View Post
Are there any problems when you daisy chain an external hard drive (used to record on to) with the Duet?

I have MacBook, so only one FW400 port. Is there a difference in performance if I connect it MacBook>Duet>HD, or MacBook>HD>Duet? Or will I be better of with a FireWire hub?
The Duet has only 1 FW port. So unless your HD has 2 FW ports, you'll need a hub. Though you'll want to research whether using a hub is compatible or not. I haven't tried it.
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmos View Post
The Duet has only 1 FW port. So unless your HD has 2 FW ports, you'll need a hub. Though you'll want to research whether using a hub is compatible or not. I haven't tried it.
this should work without a problem. the duet's not bandwidth heavy so should easily be able to run them in tandem and using a hub should be fine.

as i've said before, i managed to get my Duet and MOTU 828MKII to aggregate quite happily as long as the Duet's firewire cable was plugged into the second firewire port on the MOTU
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmos View Post
By definition, anything that doesn't work through a hub is broken. Not that such devices don't exist, of course.

Bandwidth-sharing is a related but separate issue from the use of hubs, of course.
Old 1st December 2007
Gear Head

I just got my duet Thursday night..Another installation cd missing along with the face plate defect on the right side and corners, quite annoying since it's noticeable. The Maestro's meters run kind of slow, they make me think the computer is taxed on CPU (is it just me?). Other than that it works fine.

I found the duet did better with a project I'm working on than my motu828mk2, latency wise...I usualy run the motu at 512 buffer to avoid those lovely cover overloads in logic 8, but the duet ran the project at 128 with no overloads, hell, I might even finish this tune now.
Old 3rd December 2007
Lives for gear

Just curious, but are any of you getting the dreaded overload errors in L8 while
using the Duet? I haven't seen any mention of it,but I'd thought I'd ask.

I'm really looking forward to getting a Duet early after the new year.
Old 3rd December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKyflash34 View Post
Just curious, but are any of you getting the dreaded overload errors in L8 while

I´m curious about this too and if I could guess I would say yes...
Old 3rd December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKyflash34 View Post

I've had a couple I believe and I've been using the Duet and Logic 8 daily since the Duet was released a month or so ago. Maybe it's been more, but I can tell you it's not a regular annoyance. Then again, I'm usually not mixing huge sessions. 15 stereo tracks tops, and that's rare. I'm usually around 10 stereo tracks or so. I'm also new to Logic so I'm not familiar with overload errors, FWIW. Is this a pretty common problem?
Old 5th December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISCERN View Post
Im trying to put together a small portable rig for my travels. Will a macbook provide enough juice to power a small firewire drive with the duet chained off it too?

Sorry if this is a basic question/has already been answered. I am new to the world of laptop music and mac's in general.

I was looking at something like this to store my itunes library, a few gigs of samples and probably session files:

60GB OWC Mercury On-The-Go Oxford911 Fir... (OWCMOFW60GB72) at OWC
It seems to me, and someone else chime in if they have first hand experience - I haven't used a Duet yet, that anything you would be working on with the Duet, would be limited to a few tracks at any one time. Since the track count would be low, then even the built in drive or a USB 2.0 drive should suffice for your requirement.
Old 5th December 2007
Here for the gear

apogee ensemble backorder

i orded an apogee ensemble today through guitarcenter.com. they advised me that it was on backorder to january 9. later, guitarcenter sent me a confirmation email indicating that it wouldn't arrive until january 23rd! that is why i previously cancelled a different order with guitarcenter.com. !!!
Max, or anyone from apogee, is 1 1/2 months on backorder correct? to a huge dealer like guitar center??!!
has anyone else had similar problems with guitarcenter.com?
thanks in advance.
Michael
Old 5th December 2007
Gear Maniac

guitar center are selling b stock as A stock constantly...........do not let them rob you.............definately do biz elsewhere....i ordered blue sky monitors from there recently and they were used and then the base box blew so i had to send them back....they were all banged up too........i decided to USE guitar center last week by checking out an la 610.......{i already knew there was no way in hell i was gonna give'm my money ,though } so they plug it in.....and it didn't even turn on.......so he goes to the back to get another one..........45 minutes later after he's dealt with 2 other clients who were there after me,,,,he finally brings out a "NEW" la610,,,, he wants me to buy it bad too............plugs it in and it works fine but there were HUGE vice grip marks around one of the knobs that dug into the faceplate....i tell'ya

"DON'T PAINT GUITAR CENTERS FENCE"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search