The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac Audio Interfaces
Old 7th November 2007
  #571
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUGA View Post
Do these things have anything to do with the dimensions of the Duet?
Not really, however, they are pretty good questions when it comes to the use of the Duet.

Since there are some people using the Duet, Call me crazy, I thought that a Duet thread would be a great place to discuss the functionality of the device....thumbsup
Old 8th November 2007
  #572
Lives for gear
 
YUGA's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chk027 View Post
Not really, however, they are pretty good questions when it comes to the use of the Duet.

Since there are some people using the Duet, Call me crazy, I thought that a Duet thread would be a great place to discuss the functionality of the device....thumbsup
OK. honestly speaking, I don't record acoustic guitar often lately. And my day job is too busy these days so I haven't finished any song since I bought the Duet. Shame!

But I recorded acoustic guitar using the Duet once. The microphone was a Shure KSM137 (SDC), the required gain was probably about 30-40 db for strumming and 40-50db for arpeggios. Hey but if the same mic is used, the required gain is the same with any other pres you know...

Tracking clean? Yes, I always try to record as clean as possible and use plugins for coloration.

Hope this helps thumbsup
Old 8th November 2007
  #573
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUGA View Post
OK. honestly speaking, I don't record acoustic guitar often lately. And my day job is too busy these days so I haven't finished any song since I bought the Duet. Shame!

But I recorded acoustic guitar using the Duet once. The microphone was a Shure KSM137 (SDC), the required gain was probably about 30-40 db for strumming and 40-50db for arpeggios. Hey but if the same mic is used, the required gain is the same with any other pres you know...

Tracking clean? Yes, I always try to record as clean as possible and use plugins for coloration.

Hope this helps thumbsup
Thats sounds about where I'm recording around 45 for strumming if I can, and a little more on a solo.......I only have a couple songs started myself....

thanks Yuga......

I did a quick comparison with the Grace 101 through the Duet, which I like alot, and the Duet pres are a bit clearer too my ears......When I eye the sound wave the Grace seems to be smeared and wider and the Apogee is tighter and more defined......I don't know if that means ****, but it sounds just like it looks......this is through a MXL V69ME, I tried to push both gains, and pulled back alittle as well, it didn't make much difference the results seemed the same.......

Second test I opened the trim on the Grace and pulled back the gain and it sounded fantastic, and a bit better to the Duet pres, I guess the lounder I set the gain the duet won out and at a lower to mid gain level the Grace won pretty easily, Is this possible????

I'm keeping the Grace 101
Old 8th November 2007
  #574
Gear Maniac
 
David Robinson's Avatar
 

i've been using duet 24/7 here.
couldn't be bother rigging up my other i/o's.
this does the job.
never a drop out.
never a crash.
no overload mssgs.
just pure good audio and great performance.
kudos to apogee.
DR9.
Old 9th November 2007
  #575
Here for the gear
 

Anyone know anything about the availability of additional breakout cables? I think someone mentioned there might be longer breakout cables as well, which would be great. I'd love to hook my studio up to one breakout cable and have a second for my live rig.
Old 9th November 2007
  #576
Lives for gear
 
rectifier's Avatar
 

availability issues?

Tried to get one in Belgium and they said not until December/Germany and ordered one from Germany who said they were coming in this week but haven't appeared and are not sure when they will be getting some in now..

Anyone got one from this area recently?
Old 9th November 2007
  #577
Gear Addict
 

Hi rectifier,

Here another one from Belgium.. Where' re ya from ?

I am first getting a mac then a Duet. I am curious as well where to get them from then.
Old 10th November 2007
  #578
Gear Nut
 

Another Belgian here!
I ordered one too, should be here this week or next week I'm told.

But I'm not in a hurry...
Old 10th November 2007
  #579
Gear Nut
 
busytbp's Avatar
 

Just received Duet yesterday for testing......Sounds fantastic and Great Handling!!!!
Old 12th November 2007
  #580
Gear Addict
 
dirtboy's Avatar
 

At the risk of being controversial, I was able to actually see a duet yesterday. As some have mentioned, it's larger than I thought it would be. In fact, my RME FF400 really isn't that much bigger. The difference is that it has way more I/O than the Duet, including some pretty stellar digitally controlled mic preamps. In fact, I tend to use it more than my other converters/preamps because it's so convenient and sounds great. It is also very stable with Logic8, BTW. Just curious to see if you actual users find it's latency/sound/satability to be better than RME's offering. If the benefits outweigh the I/O limitations, I might consider one for my simple remote gigs. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 16th November 2007
  #581
Lives for gear
 
Vocalvoodoo's Avatar
 

Here's an interesting find. First, I can monitor through the Duet in Windows by using VMWare's Fusion. I have Windows XP installed with Bootcamp then VMWare created a VM from the bootcamp install. Of course to do this you have to have the Duet set as the main Mac audio output. So the bonus is being able to use the Duet with Samplitude and Tracktion in Windows. But recording has WAY too much latency. Monitoring does too, but in a pinch, it does the job for small productions.

But the weird thing is, in Samplitude, if I select the ASIO4ALL driver, it shows the clock as "Big Ben". Could the Duet actually have the Big Ben clock? At first I thought maybe that was just a generic clock source name that Samplitude displayed when using ASIO drivers, but when I selected the Digidesign ASIO driver the clock source was listed as 'control panel'. So it's only with the Duet that the clock is listed as 'Big Ben'. Strange....
Old 16th November 2007
  #582
Lives for gear
 
macgee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocalvoodoo View Post
But the weird thing is, in Samplitude, if I select the ASIO4ALL driver, it shows the clock as "Big Ben". Could the Duet actually have the Big Ben clock? At first I thought maybe that was just a generic clock source name that Samplitude displayed when using ASIO drivers, but when I selected the Digidesign ASIO driver the clock source was listed as 'control panel'. So it's only with the Duet that the clock is listed as 'Big Ben'. Strange....
now that is interesting. i do find that the apogee converters sound very good compared with my MOTU though they are slightly coloured, not in a bad way though
Old 16th November 2007
  #583
Lives for gear
 
rectifier's Avatar
 

had mine for a few days now and it's absolutely fantastic. The downside is that I now want a bigger one , there has to be an Apogee something in between the duet and ensemble, if it's priced right they will sell truckloads! Winter Namm perhaps?

Anyways, I'm very very happy with it, well worth the wait and well worth the step up from mbox
Old 16th November 2007
  #584
Lives for gear
 
thearnicasync's Avatar
 

Seriously, if they put a spdif out on it, they could charge $200 more easily.

i just got the duet and it RULES. All of the stuff that blew on the ensemble when it came out are fixed and improved on. you just want to sit down and play into a mic and have fun. no headaches. few cables. one big nob. beautiful. sturdy. maestro mixer finally makes sense. pre gain deduction for "silent" mode.

best two channel interface ever, IMO. $500? booya!
Old 18th November 2007
  #585
Lives for gear
 

this has probably been brought up but, 20 pages! how do i use the duet with an external preamp? I would like to use my external preamps(portico, lunch box preamps etc) without coloring the sound with the addition of the apogee preamp.
Old 18th November 2007
  #586
Lives for gear
 
Vocalvoodoo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaitang View Post
this has probably been brought up but, 20 pages! how do i use the duet with an external preamp? I would like to use my external preamps(portico, lunch box preamps etc) without coloring the sound with the addition of the apogee preamp.
Use the the mic XLR inputs. In Maestro change the input in question to line in. The Duet pres are completely bypassed when going line in.
Old 18th November 2007
  #587
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaitang View Post
this has probably been brought up but, 20 pages! how do i use the duet with an external preamp? I would like to use my external preamps(portico, lunch box preamps etc) without coloring the sound with the addition of the apogee preamp.
I used a Grace 101 today trough the Duet, all I did is use XLR port 1 and turn down the volume to zero, and used the gain on the Grace. I hope this is an acceptable method. I emailed Apogee on this, I will post when I get a response.

The first time I did this, the results favored the Duets pres, but the second time I set both to around 40dbs and I open the trim on the Grace and it sounded much better, and slightly better than the duets pres.

I was ready to sell the Grace, but after today I holding on to it. I wanted to post this because I previously dogged the Grace after my first experience, which is all trial and error.
Old 18th November 2007
  #588
Gear Maniac
 
A4722's Avatar
 

Vocalvoodoo Big Ben

by Vocalvoodoo :

"But the weird thing is, in Samplitude, if I select the ASIO4ALL driver, it shows the clock as "Big Ben". Could the Duet actually have the Big Ben clock? At first I thought maybe that was just a generic clock source name that Samplitude displayed when using ASIO drivers, but when I selected the Digidesign ASIO driver the clock source was listed as 'control panel'. So it's only with the Duet that the clock is listed as 'Big Ben'. Strange...."

I have a device from 1999 that is not made by Apogee. When I use the ASIO 4 ALL driver the clock is listed as "Big Ben". I think the ASIO 4 ALL guys name their "clock" as "Big Ben".

mfb
Old 18th November 2007
  #589
Lives for gear
 
Vocalvoodoo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4722 View Post
by Vocalvoodoo :

"But the weird thing is, in Samplitude, if I select the ASIO4ALL driver, it shows the clock as "Big Ben". Could the Duet actually have the Big Ben clock? At first I thought maybe that was just a generic clock source name that Samplitude displayed when using ASIO drivers, but when I selected the Digidesign ASIO driver the clock source was listed as 'control panel'. So it's only with the Duet that the clock is listed as 'Big Ben'. Strange...."

I have a device from 1999 that is not made by Apogee. When I use the ASIO 4 ALL driver the clock is listed as "Big Ben". I think the ASIO 4 ALL guys name their "clock" as "Big Ben".

mfb
That's good to know. I figured it was something lke that, but hey, nothing wrong with a little wishful thinking.
Old 18th November 2007
  #590
Lives for gear
 
jslevin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thearnicasync View Post
Seriously, if they put a spdif out on it, they could charge $200 more easily.
Where do you get that idea? I think sales would be much, much lower at $700 than at $500. Apogee is capitalizing on the fact that the great majority of two-channel interface customers don't use digital i/o, and many of them would love to have Apogee quality.

JSL
Old 18th November 2007
  #591
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chk027 View Post
I used a Grace 101 today trough the Duet, all I did is use XLR port 1 and turn down the volume to zero, and used the gain on the Grace. I hope this is an acceptable method. I emailed Apogee on this, I will post when I get a response.

The first time I did this, the results favored the Duets pres, but the second time I set both to around 40dbs and I open the trim on the Grace and it sounded much better, and slightly better than the duets pres.

I was ready to sell the Grace, but after today I holding on to it. I wanted to post this because I previously dogged the Grace after my first experience, which is all trial and error.
I believe that is not an accurate way to do a comparison. The best way to do it is to change the duet input with the grace to +4 line xlr in. That way you aren't using any extra ciruitry/gain in the path. That would be a better way to compare.
Old 18th November 2007
  #592
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
I was able to make an aggregate device out of the Duet and the Line in on my Macbook. Sweet! Seemed to work fine, as I did a test running all 4 inputs. Very cool that this works, as I was going to have to pull apart my whole home rig just to record a 3 mic session later this week. Now all I gotta do is grab an extra pre and cable.
Old 18th November 2007
  #593
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I was able to make an aggregate device out of the Duet and the Line in on my Macbook. Sweet! Seemed to work fine, as I did a test running all 4 inputs. Very cool that this works, as I was going to have to pull apart my whole home rig just to record a 3 mic session later this week. Now all I gotta do is grab an extra pre and cable.
The MB's input is minijack, right? Are you using an analog or digital source? I just checked the Apple website, and it says it's a digital input, but in my very limited experience I haven't seen a minijack digital cable. How did you set yours up?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 18th November 2007
  #594
Lives for gear
 
YUGA's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanervoza View Post
The MB's input is minijack, right? Are you using an analog or digital source? I just checked the Apple website, and it says it's a digital input, but in my very limited experience I haven't seen a minijack digital cable. How did you set yours up?

Thanks,
Alex
http://www.lindy.com/us/productfolde...5222/index.php
Amazon.com: TOSLINK TO OPTICAL MINI ADAPTER: Electronics

When I aggregated the Duet and the Konnekt 24D by hooking up the Duet to the firewire hub on the Konnekt, playback was fine but the recorded sound was distorted. So I bought a Firewire 400-800 cable and connected the Konnekt to the FF800 port using this cable. This configuration worked! Now they are aggregated with no problem.
Old 19th November 2007
  #595
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanervoza View Post
The MB's input is minijack, right? Are you using an analog or digital source? I just checked the Apple website, and it says it's a digital input, but in my very limited experience I haven't seen a minijack digital cable. How did you set yours up?

Thanks,
Alex
I was using an analog source, mini jack in. I didn't know you could use a digital source actually. Recorded 4 tracks and played back with no problems.
Old 19th November 2007
  #596
Lives for gear
 
Vocalvoodoo's Avatar
 

If anyone is interested, I posted a mic/pre shootout with the Duet, MBox2 and Safesound P1 over in the shootout thread.

VO - Duet vs. MBox2 vs. Safesound P1 with various mics
Old 19th November 2007
  #597
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocalvoodoo View Post
If anyone is interested, I posted a mic/pre shootout with the Duet, MBox2 and Safesound P1 over in the shootout thread.

VO - Duet vs. MBox2 vs. Safesound P1 with various mics
Thanks, I will surely check that out!
Old 23rd November 2007
  #598
Here for the gear
 

Fantastic interface, just what I was looking for. I think this will be my companion on macbook, and a good replacement for currently running hdsp card. thumbsup
Old 24th November 2007
  #599
Lives for gear
 

not to hijack, but does anyone have a recommendation for a stereo mic to go along with the Duet for field recording? ?
Old 24th November 2007
  #600
Lives for gear
 
jslevin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaitang View Post
not to hijack, but does anyone have a recommendation for a stereo mic to go along with the Duet for field recording? ?
What's your budget?

JSL
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
overclock / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
4
slowjett / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump