The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac Audio Interfaces
Old 1st November 2007
It can output Line or Instrument? Really?
Great idea.
Old 2nd November 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocalvoodoo View Post
The outputs are switchable. 'Line Out' and 'Instrument Amp' are the two options.

If that's true I may have just been sold on one....

Old 2nd November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey decibel View Post
If that's true I may have just been sold on one....

From the manual...

The nominal level of the line outputs is set with this pop-up menu:

Line out – level is variable between 0 and -64 dB of attenuation, at a
nominal output level of –10 dBV.

Instrument Amp – The output level is fixed at a nominal level of –20dBV, suitable for connection to an instrument amplifier.
Old 2nd November 2007
Gear Nut

Any idea on whether the outs are individually switchable between line and instrument?
Old 2nd November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman65 View Post
Any idea on whether the outs are individually switchable between line and instrument?
I don't believe they are. I tried from within Logic and through Maestro software. They are linked together and I haven't found a way to change them individually.
Old 2nd November 2007
Gear Nut

I guess trying to get a good guitar tone through headphones isn't impossible... right?
Old 2nd November 2007
Here for the gear

Has anyone tried to reamp with the Duet by setting the output to -20? It would be great if someone could post a non- vs. reamp sound clip. I noticed this -20 output is fixed but would a possible software update (hint, hint) allow a 'virtual trim' similar to the trim knob on John Cuniberti's Reamp?

Considering the ~$200 to pick up a reamp box, this is a nice feature that I'm surprised this isn't more highly touted.
Old 3rd November 2007
Gear Addict

Just curious, should sowftware drives (CD) come included with the Duet or does everyone have to go online to download the drivers off the Apogee site???

Old 3rd November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chk027 View Post
Just curious, should sowftware drives (CD) come included with the Duet or does everyone have to go online to download the drivers off the Apogee site???

As a rule, I never use the drivers that come with gear. I always download the latest from the company's website.
Old 3rd November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

The duet does come with a driver CD. I'm using those drivers and everything is working great on a newer 2.4ghz imac. Not one problem so far.
Old 4th November 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
The duet does come with a driver CD. I'm using those drivers and everything is working great on a newer 2.4ghz imac. Not one problem so far.
I just received my Duet from Sweetwater, my Duet did NOT come with a driver CD. It had a notice saying to go to the apogee website to download. The notice said if you needed a CD they would get you one ASAP just call.......I find that a bit ridiculous.....

Now I wonder if I received a unit that is factory sealed or a return or floor model.....

Can someone confirm if Apogee is or is not including driver cd's with all their sales or did they change their packaging??????
Old 4th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just received my Duet from Sweetwater, my Duet did NOT come with a driver CD. It had a notice saying to go to the apogee website to download. The notice said if you needed a CD they would get you one ASAP just call.......I find that a bit ridiculous.....

Now I wonder if I received a unit that is factory sealed or a return or floor model.....

Can someone confirm if Apogee is or is not including driver cd's with all their sales or did they change their packaging??????
Well, mine came with a CD labeled Duet September 2007 software, and the software at Apogee's site is November 2007. So maybe the Duet you got was manufactured after the new driver release, but before new drier CDs were printed? Was your Duet shrink wrapped?
Old 4th November 2007
Gear Addict

quick review: I must spend more time with this thing and improve.....

The duet looks great but one thing I noticed before I bought, based on a thread from another forum BBL, is that the face is off center on the bottom left corner (no big deal) but a flaw indeed. It is not cut or esembled to perfect specs, A guy on BBL took his apart and had pictures of the same blemish.....(again not a big deal to me cause Im not looking at it to often and don't really care what it looks like...) My Duet was the same at the bottom left corner.....

Install was pretty easy but I was forced to do it online which I think sucks,it was a little bit of struggle setting my output the right way with garageband. I could see it working but nothing through the headphones. Easy fix once I figured it out......

I had to get used to a different sound while recording, I didn't like it at first, it sound like an effect was on while recording, but I guess that is just what it does......

I tried a few different sets adjusting the levels and gain, and found somewhat of a sweet spot, I'm sure that I can do better, I sent about 50db of gain through for vocals and acoustic guitar, it felt pretty good.......could someone more advanced tell me if this sounds right (should I be sending more gain???)

I hate recording v. writing and playing but this thing was pretty easy. The sound in just garageband was very clear, the preamp to me was great, I use a Grace 101, and I love it.....but the Duet is on par or better, unless it is the converters, I think the converter are the biggest upgrade for me, and soon I will run the duet with the Grace going through it just to A/B......I want to compare both preamps

I'm very pleased at this point after spending less than an hour with it.........pretty good sound overall and I'm electronically challenged.........

Apple's plan is working cause I think I will have to buy Logic to get the most out of this thing.......
Old 4th November 2007
Lives for gear

- looked at the Big Blue Lounge thread and pictures. I think it's crazy that they would let gear go out with flaws like that! I guess they're all that way?

I'm not ready to buy one yet (if ever), but maybe they'll get the case thing worked out in the future.

I keep hearing people say "it's a lot bigger than I thought it would be." What are the actual dimensions?
Old 4th November 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well, mine came with a CD labeled Duet September 2007 software, and the software at Apogee's site is November 2007. So maybe the Duet you got was manufactured after the new driver release, but before new drier CDs were printed? Was your Duet shrink wrapped?
Yes everything was shrink wrapped, the box had a manual which had a plastic bag with a piece of tape, and the break out had the same thing a bag with a piece of tape, the firewire was a sealed plastic that needed cut to open ( is that same as yours?), but no CD just that notice that said go online..... there you had to register and give personal information to get the drivers (i just don't like having to do that)

I really think it maybe a leopard thing, maybe that made it easy for Apogee???

Voodoo thanks for your time and input!
Old 4th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Dude ... who the fck cares? You always want the latest drivers. The latest drivers are always online and hardly ever on the CD, if there is one.

I don't think you should even care if it's factory sealed or a return or floor model. Either it works or it doesn't, and you have a full warranty. The rest is just fetish BS.

JSL
Old 4th November 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post
- looked at the Big Blue Lounge thread and pictures. I think it's crazy that they would let gear go out with flaws like that! I guess they're all that way?

I'm not ready to buy one yet (if ever), but maybe they'll get the case thing worked out in the future.

I keep hearing people say "it's a lot bigger than I thought it would be." What are the actual dimensions?
I agree, but I bought a new house with defect, a new car with defects, a government with defects, you get the picture, its America, the American way....

Maybe I'm screwed up, but I think is very small (I don't have the exact demension right now cause I'm not home) but it is about 4 inches wide and 6 inches high, maybe a little smaller???

The breakout is a mess to me, but as long as it works I don't care. I don't have it hanging off a desk, but rather on it, which really takes the strain off the Duet....

Still a nice piece of gear, thats easy to use...
Old 4th November 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
Dude ... who the fck cares? You always want the latest drivers. The latest drivers are always online and hardly ever on the CD, if there is one.

I don't think you should even care if it's factory sealed or a return or floor model. Either it works or it doesn't, and you have a full warranty. The rest is just fetish BS.

JSL
Thats true, but if I'm paying money to a business, I want the same product and service the other customers get, period......nothing less.

I don't want to go on the internet after paying $495, if I don't have the internet I CAN'T USE THE PRODUCT, get the point.

So take your old city philly nose out of the air, cause I don't roll that way...you know black pants, $150 shirt, using the co. expense account, to pick up some lame ass barbie you met down Avalon over the summer...just to see if her daddy's got money...hehhehheh just saying..
Old 4th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post

The actual dimensions are 160 x 102 x 24mm. I don't understand the mentality of those people who say "it's a lot bigger than I thought it would be."
Old 4th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUGA View Post
The actual dimensions are 160 x 102 x 24mm. I don't understand the mentality of those people who say "it's a lot bigger than I thought it would be."
Thanks, YUGA - I think maybe the size of the knob makes the unit seem smaller in pictures.

(okay, you dirty minded people can stop smirking now tutt)
Old 5th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
quick review: I must spend more time with this thing and improve.....

The duet looks great but one thing I noticed before I bought, based on a thread from another forum BBL, is that the face is off center on the bottom left corner (no big deal) but a flaw indeed. It is not cut or esembled to perfect specs, A guy on BBL took his apart and had pictures of the same blemish.....(again not a big deal to me cause Im not looking at it to often and don't really care what it looks like...) My Duet was the same at the bottom left corner.....

Install was pretty easy but I was forced to do it online which I think sucks,it was a little bit of struggle setting my output the right way with garageband. I could see it working but nothing through the headphones. Easy fix once I figured it out......

I had to get used to a different sound while recording, I didn't like it at first, it sound like an effect was on while recording, but I guess that is just what it does......

I tried a few different sets adjusting the levels and gain, and found somewhat of a sweet spot, I'm sure that I can do better, I sent about 50db of gain through for vocals and acoustic guitar, it felt pretty good.......could someone more advanced tell me if this sounds right (should I be sending more gain???)

I hate recording v. writing and playing but this thing was pretty easy. The sound in just garageband was very clear, the preamp to me was great, I use a Grace 101, and I love it.....but the Duet is on par or better, unless it is the converters, I think the converter are the biggest upgrade for me, and soon I will run the duet with the Grace going through it just to A/B......I want to compare both preamps

I'm very pleased at this point after spending less than an hour with it.........pretty good sound overall and I'm electronically challenged.........

Apple's plan is working cause I think I will have to buy Logic to get the most out of this thing.......

As far as the it being a little off-center, it's really no big deal. Loosen the 4 screws on the bottom a bit, straighten the top, tighten the screws up and it's good to go. I did that and it's fine.

The thing to remember with this product too is it's only $500. For some people that is a lot of money, myself included, and it's no excuse really for flawed production. But the reality is that you're getting Apogee sound quality at an 'enter alternative cheap interface here' price. But in the big scheme of things, who cares if the machine in the factory was a few mm off when screwing down the face plate? Well I'll speak for myself, it didn't really bother me. Mistakes happen.

The sound you're hearing is probably phasing. You're hearing both the direct output from the Duet and the output from your DAW back through the Duet. The signal coming back from your DAW into the Duet is going to have some latency, causing the phasing. Easy fix, open the Maestro mixer and mute the channel you are recording into, which will only give you the playback from your DAW giving you a little latency which will vary based on your DAW's hardware buffer latency, or leave the channel turned up an turn the "from MAC" faders down. Then you'll be hearing the direct input from the Duet.

I personally mute the Duet inputs in the Maestro mixer, keep Logic at a 64 sample hardware buffer with software monitoring enabled when recording rather than monitor directly from the Duet inputs. The latency is low enough that I don't really notice a difference. I also have the to hardware fader in Maestro set to 'none'. There are a variety of ways to route audio through the Maestro mixer to achieve low or no latency recording. It's all in the Duel manual.
Old 5th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thats true, but if I'm paying money to a business, I want the same product and service the other customers get, period......nothing less.
It's great to see people taking a stand about something, even if it's nothing.

Quote:
I don't want to go on the internet after paying $495, if I don't have the internet I CAN'T USE THE PRODUCT, get the point.
I don't get the point, and I'm pretty sure you don't have one. If you don't have the Internet, how did you post this?

Quote:
So take your old city philly nose out of the air, cause I don't roll that way...you know black pants, $150 shirt, using the co. expense account, to pick up some lame ass barbie you met down Avalon over the summer...just to see if her daddy's got money...hehhehheh just saying..
Wow ... I'm pretty sure you're just kidding around ... but anyway, O.C. or not, I haven't had the pleasure of doing any of those things ... or the pleasure of choosing not to.

JSL
Old 5th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
You'll have to go to the internet after purchasing computer recording gear at almost any price at some point, if not immediately...as has already been stated, typically newer drivers and/or software revisions are available than what's in the box, and things are updated all the time. I'm not surprised that more manufacturers aren't doing this...as I understand it tc electronic has been doing it for years, to ensure that their customers always have the latest drivers possible...
Old 5th November 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
As far as the it being a little off-center, it's really no big deal. Loosen the 4 screws on the bottom a bit, straighten the top, tighten the screws up and it's good to go. I did that and it's fine.

The thing to remember with this product too is it's only $500. For some people that is a lot of money, myself included, and it's no excuse really for flawed production. But the reality is that you're getting Apogee sound quality at an 'enter alternative cheap interface here' price. But in the big scheme of things, who cares if the machine in the factory was a few mm off when screwing down the face plate? Well I'll speak for myself, it didn't really bother me. Mistakes happen.

The sound you're hearing is probably phasing. You're hearing both the direct output from the Duet and the output from your DAW back through the Duet. The signal coming back from your DAW into the Duet is going to have some latency, causing the phasing. Easy fix, open the Maestro mixer and mute the channel you are recording into, which will only give you the playback from your DAW giving you a little latency which will vary based on your DAW's hardware buffer latency, or leave the channel turned up an turn the "from MAC" faders down. Then you'll be hearing the direct input from the Duet.

I personally mute the Duet inputs in the Maestro mixer, keep Logic at a 64 sample hardware buffer with software monitoring enabled when recording rather than monitor directly from the Duet inputs. The latency is low enough that I don't really notice a difference. I also have the to hardware fader in Maestro set to 'none'. There are a variety of ways to route audio through the Maestro mixer to achieve low or no latency recording. It's all in the Duel manual.
Thanks Again Voodoo.......

Mac recording is a big leap for me, but it will be worth it in the end......the Duet does sound great, and is as advertised IMO, small, mobile, and simple. Glad I bought it...
Old 5th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
T

My normal response to this would be, you have to have a friend that will download it for you and burn it on CD, but after seeing your response, you may not have too many friends.

Where there is a will, there is a way. You really need to be able to connect to the Internet when using any DAW. The very nature of what we do is always inherent to updates, which require downloading. If that is not viable, then you should choose other ways of recording like some of the all in one devices out today (old school 4 track kind of thing).

I think you are arguing for the sake of arguing and just not able to make a reasonable point considering the circumstances.

PM me if you can't get the latest update, I'll download it for you and mail it to you on my dime.
Old 5th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes everything was shrink wrapped, the box had a manual which had a plastic bag with a piece of tape, and the break out had the same thing a bag with a piece of tape, the firewire was a sealed plastic that needed cut to open ( is that same as yours?), but no CD just that notice that said go online..... there you had to register and give personal information to get the drivers (i just don't like having to do that)

I really think it maybe a leopard thing, maybe that made it easy for Apogee???

Voodoo thanks for your time and input!

that's odd cos i did get a CD in my package. i must say, i hated the install procedure, you have to insert all your details just to install the software which is really crap, you shouldn't have to do this! i also had problems during the registration process on their website initially.

they should definitely remove the need to insert your details to just install the driver
Old 7th November 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleodgrant View Post
that's odd cos i did get a CD in my package. i must say, i hated the install procedure, you have to insert all your details just to install the software which is really crap, you shouldn't have to do this! i also had problems during the registration process on their website initially.

they should definitely remove the need to insert your details to just install the driver
Thanks for seeing my point, unlike the other tech geeks that rome.......internet or not I have to fill out form with personal information to enjoy the product......the fact is you don't need the internet to record music........

I understand that you can accomplish alot on the internet, but when I'm on the internet I'm not recording music, another fact......

When I buy a product I also receive a mail in warraty card on paper so why did they send that to me?? Why did they give me a manual when they could of just put that on the internet????

I like the apogee product alot, it is very good, I don't think that it is that hard to to include in the package what is listed on the box.
Old 7th November 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUGA View Post
How much gain or range of gain are you using on acoustic guitar? What type of mic?

Are you tracking clean?

Thanks in advance yuga.
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
When I buy a product I also receive a mail in warraty card on paper so why did they send that to me?? Why did they give me a manual when they could of just put that on the internet????
Seems like we're seeing less and less of those as time marches on as well...
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
How much gain or range of gain are you using on acoustic guitar? What type of mic?

Are you tracking clean?

Thanks in advance yuga.
Do these things have anything to do with the dimensions of the Duet?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search