The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac Audio Interfaces
Old 19th October 2007
Gear Addict

Has anyone compared to RME Fireface

Im keen to know if anyone can A/B the Duet against the RME Fireface on three things
1 :A/D
2: D/A quality
3: latency

Forget about the extra features in the RME ie ADAT etc
The RME fireface is considered to be the best "sounding" FW interface for the money features aside
Maybe the Apogee Duet will take the crown but early days yet and the Duet is unproven
in the field.

thanks Dave
Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2ba View Post
Im keen to know if anyone can A/B the Duet against the RME Fireface on three things
1 :A/D
2: D/A quality
3: latency

Forget about the extra features in the RME ie ADAT etc
The RME fireface is considered to be the best "sounding" FW interface for the money features aside
Maybe the Apogee Duet will take the crown but early days yet and the Duet is unproven
in the field.

thanks Dave
Dave
I wanted to apologize for 'jumping onto your post'.

-mike
Old 19th October 2007
Gear Head

Case

Apogee sells the case for $24.95.
Old 20th October 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubycakes View Post
Apogee sells the case for $24.95.
Great, do you know who's selling them yet?
Old 20th October 2007
Gear Head

I got my Duet from Tidepool Audio. They'll be getting some cases in next week I guess. I have one reserved myself.

Last edited by rubycakes; 20th October 2007 at 04:23 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 20th October 2007
Gear Addict

So those people that have the Duet already, do you think it was worth the money looking back or would have spent it somewhere else????

Is it the best thing out there in that price range??
Old 20th October 2007
Duet users, comment please!
Old 20th October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chk027 View Post
So those people that have the Duet already, do you think it was worth the money looking back or would have spent it somewhere else????

Is it the best thing out there in that price range??
I think it's totally worth it. I feel like this is one of those milestone devices to come out. I'm a composer and remixer so I don't do much multi-tracking. So far, I love the integration with my MBP and LP8. I did some tests here on my home rig and I could swear it sounds better than the digi96 HD rig at work and of course, it blows away my MBox. The preamps sound great for being stock pres. Very happy...

Now if I could just get it to work with my Glyph drive...
Old 20th October 2007
Gear Guru

Well I was really still hoping for a QUARTET, but this folks will launch
a whole new era for digital home and remote recording.

I'm mean heck, an Apogee I/O with Logic Studio for $1000.00

How can anyone in this market resist? Especially the solo artisit.

That being said 4 I/O's would be perfect reducing a lot of set up time
for a KB, Mic and guitar.
Old 20th October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsound View Post
I think it's totally worth it. I feel like this is one of those milestone devices to come out. I'm a composer and remixer so I don't do much multi-tracking. So far, I love the integration with my MBP and LP8. I did some tests here on my home rig and I could swear it sounds better than the digi96 HD rig at work and of course, it blows away my MBox. The preamps sound great for being stock pres. Very happy...

Now if I could just get it to work with my Glyph drive...
Thanks for the reply

I'm not familar with that issue. I assume the Glyph is additional hardware and not a new internal drive....

I wish I could help....
Old 21st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2ba View Post
Excuse me? I don't think the Fireface has an edge over the Metric-Halo stuff, and I haven't seen anyone who's tried both saying otherwise. For the money is a funny thing -- how sure are you that the Fireface sounds much better than a Presonus Firestudio at more than twice the price?

</hijack>

JSL
Old 21st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
Excuse me? I don't think the Fireface has an edge over the Metric-Halo stuff, and I haven't seen anyone who's tried both saying otherwise. For the money is a funny thing -- how sure are you that the Fireface sounds much better than a Presonus Firestudio at more than twice the price?

</hijack>

JSL
The Fireface smokes the Metric Halo (at least the 2882). I was tracking drums with both units and the fireface won, no comparison. Headroom, imaging, etc. So much so that my client noticed the change and asked what had improved in my chain. The D/A was also a little better. The fireface is a great sounding unit for the money (i've heard recordings done on a firestudio, and they were, how shall I say, crap). I'm getting a duet next week though, I'm excited to see what it does.
Old 21st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post

</hijack>

JSL
Metric Halo makes a fine converter. However, the RME FF800 is better, whithout a doubt. The RME FF800 holds it's own agains a Rosetta 800, although the Rosetta is better.

To me, Metric Halo are entry level pro gear converters, next RME, followed by Apoogee converters, and so on.
Old 21st October 2007
Lives for gear

It's funny, I've been using an RME ADI-2 for over two years. I tried researching it for a year or so before that. I found mostly negative comments about it, but when I first heard it, I knew it was good.

It actually has a technical edge or two over the 800 - don't know if they're audible, though. I guess my point is (as I've made before) that the ADI-2 didn't really start getting any respect until the 800 did.

Back on topic: is there any way to use the Duet with the digital I/O on modern macs? I think this was brought up a few to several pages ago, before the mac/pc and price-fixing wars broke out.

The Duet looks great, but I hate the intended (or unintended) crippling of any product - no analog insert/pre out, no digital I/O, etc. Anyway, you can't aggregate 2 Duets, but can you aggregate the Duet with the built-in sound? - and thereby use the mac digital I/O?
Old 21st October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post
The Duet looks great, but I hate the intended (or unintended) crippling of any product - no analog insert/pre out, no digital I/O, etc. Anyway, you can't aggregate 2 Duets, but can you aggregate the Duet with the built-in sound? - and thereby use the mac digital I/O?
I spoke to someone at Apogee about being able to use an external pre instead of the built in pres. He said that the Duet can do this but I'm wondering how? If there's only a Line-in and not an insert, won't this run it through the stock pres?
Old 21st October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
I spoke to someone at Apogee about being able to use an external pre instead of the built in pres. He said that the Duet can do this but I'm wondering how? If there's only a Line-in and not an insert, won't this run it through the stock pres?
Anyone know????

I would like to use an outboard pre too. I have a Grace 101 that I like, so I will use both the stock pre and the Grace. I hope you can just connect the XLR's to the back and bypass the on board pres.....

I'm surprised the manual doesn't address this.
Old 21st October 2007
Lives for gear

It has both instrument and mic inputs.
Old 21st October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
It has both instrument and mic inputs.
But how do you turn off or bypass the Apogee pre? Set the gain to 0db??? Thats what I would guess.
Old 21st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chk027 View Post
But how do you turn off or bypass the Apogee pre? Set the gain to 0db??? Thats what I would guess.
I assume that the mic input goes thru the mic preamp but not the line input.
Old 21st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
Metric Halo makes a fine converter. However, the RME FF800 is better, whithout a doubt. The RME FF800 holds it's own agains a Rosetta 800, although the Rosetta is better.

To me, Metric Halo are entry level pro gear converters, next RME, followed by Apoogee converters, and so on.
i wouldn't say the rosetta is better than the fireface. they're both really good imo.
Old 21st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
i've heard recordings done on a firestudio, and they were, how shall I say, crap
I don't disgree that the other converters under discussion are better, but if the recordings done with the Firestudio were really "crap" it had nothing to do with the converters...
Old 21st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshelevator View Post
i wouldn't say the rosetta is better than the fireface. they're both really good imo.
I would. As a Fireface owner for around 2 years (I had 2 of them), the Fireface was cool for tracking and all, but I would NEVER record my 2 channel mix (off of the dangerous 2 bus) into it. It just wasn't accurate. The Rosetta on the other hand, while not really accurate, sounded very good for this kind of task. To me thats the ultimate litmus test, if the mix sounds the same (or still good) after its been recorded back in, thats a very good sign.
Old 21st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
I don't disgree that the other converters under discussion are better, but if the recordings done with the Firestudio were really "crap" it had nothing to do with the converters...
Yeah, maybe not totally. But you know the sound, right? That sloppy clock, murky converter sound? Thats what I heard.
Old 21st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I would. As a Fireface owner for around 2 years (I had 2 of them), the Fireface was cool for tracking and all, but I would NEVER record my 2 channel mix (off of the dangerous 2 bus) into it. It just wasn't accurate. The Rosetta on the other hand, while not really accurate, sounded very good for this kind of task. To me thats the ultimate litmus test, if the mix sounds the same (or still good) after its been recorded back in, thats a very good sign.

that sounds like a good test and if i had a summing box, i would have tried it. i did try just about everything else - recording individual tracks, recording off of vinyl, listening to mixes, stereo bounces, sampled vinyl.... with the roestta, i liked the sound of bouncing itb better than going out of the rosetta and back into the rosetta but again, that is without a summing amp or board....for what i do, recording and mixing itb without a summing box, i couldn't tell much of a difference between the rosetta and the fireface that mattered to me...and when pressed, i felt like i liked the "sound" of the rme a bit more but things we're def getting blurry after a while in my testing as the two both sounded really good.
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

In Stock In New England?

I may pick up a Duet as soon as tomorrow and wonder if anyone knows who might have this in stock in the Boston/New England area.

Thank you
Old 22nd October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football View Post
I may pick up a Duet as soon as tomorrow and wonder if anyone knows who might have this in stock in the Boston/New England area.

Thank you
online is your best bet, Altomusic, Sam Ash has it listed, Sweetwater (Oct 24th), I think there is another place listed in this thread.

I waiting for Sweetwater, I ordered a week ago, can't wait to see what it can do...

good luck and let us know what you think...when you do...
Old 22nd October 2007
Gear Head

I'm curious to hear more about the Fireface comparisons. I only need the I/O of the Apogee, but also looking into the FF because it's more fliexible. But the bottom end is the sound quality.
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess it really depends on how it's designed. Even if you are running through the pre at unity, it may not cause any audible degradation to the signal.
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by papercut View Post
I'm curious to hear more about the Fireface comparisons. I only need the I/O of the Apogee, but also looking into the FF because it's more fliexible. But the bottom end is the sound quality.

Well, having owned a FF800, Ensemble, and a Rosetta 200. The FF800 holds it's own against the Ensemble but is not as good as the Rosetta. The Duet is supposed to be the same converter as the Ensemble. So, if I was choosing between the FF800 and the Duet, the FF800 wins for me. It works awesome with Logic. You can run it Via FW800, which will enable you to run with lower buffers than going with FW400. It also gives you more I/O; both analog and digital.

I have a Protools HD rig, but I have a Duet in the mail right now to use with Logic Pro 8. For 500 bucks, it's a great deal.

If you were willing to spend a grand or so for a used FF800, I'd shell out a little more and get a used Rosetta 200 if additional I/O is not needed. Then if you want to go Symphony later, you're set.
Old 22nd October 2007
Here for the gear

I use a Metric Halo ULN2... Is the Duet better or equal? Thanx

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search