The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac Audio Interfaces
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsound View Post
BTW, I have the Duet running through my Glyph drive as a hub.
That could be your problem. You may need a Firewire hub and connect them both to that. May want to check with Glyph to see if that will work.

Just a thought...

Good luck with it...let us know.
Old 17th October 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Wait, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't duet come with their own zero (or near zero) latency monitoring software? If so, why would you be concerned with daw latency?
It does, it's only critical for monitoring with plugins, ala PTHD.
Old 17th October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
That could be your problem. You may need a Firewire hub and connect them both to that. May want to check with Glyph to see if that will work.

Just a thought...

Good luck with it...let us know.
Yup, this is definitely the problem. Now I'm wondering if it's better to get a Firewire hub or a FW400 adapter, either to FW800 or the card slot on the otherside of the MPB. What would have better performance?
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yup, this is definitely the problem. Now I'm wondering if it's better to get a Firewire hub or a FW400 adapter, either to FW800 or the card slot on the otherside of the MPB. What would have better performance?
I don't actually know, mate. You're kind of in new turf here.

I would think that getting a FW800 Card for the slot would be the best performance, but you should check with Apogee and Glyph to see what they suggest.

Wish I could be more help...keep us posted!
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

I would say this is going to come up quite often for people with external drives. Info will show up about combinations that work...unfortunately, you're on the cutting edge here, so you will have to be one of the ones reporting what doesn't work, and the solution you find to it.
Should be pretty easy to sort, I would think.
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

Got mine today and so farthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Sounds great but the UI must have been designed by Apple because it integrates perfectly with my MBP. The Duet hardware feels like it's just a volume knob for the built in sound. No wonder it's Mac only 'cause you could never get this level of integration with Windows and its varied hardware.
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

I ordered one from Mercinary today, they got 10 in and had 9 sold, so I got the one left over. It's on the way.
Old 17th October 2007
Gear Addict

Well I gotta say that this thing is awesome!! The pre's sound great. I knew they would be good but not this good. I've tested it with an AT4050 on my vox and direct in with guitar using one of LP8's amp sims. I think I like the quality better than the Digi 96 at work? Yipes! Maybe it's a bit premature. Now I have to figure out how to get my Vintech hooked up here at home. Very pleased...
Old 17th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Wait, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't duet come with their own zero (or near zero) latency monitoring software? If so, why would you be concerned with daw latency?
True - and to clarify - I am not concerned! The latency is not noticeable - very very low.

I prefer to monitor through the software so I can add effects, etc.

With this config, I am running vox and a guitar through plugins for live applications - and no noticeable latency.
Old 17th October 2007
Gear Nut

Hi guys.

I just wanted to tell you that we shipped out the first small batch of Duets to our dealers today. Not as many as we'd liked but we hope to be able to fulfil all backorders in a not too distant future.
Old 18th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think I like the quality better than the Digi 96 at work? Yipes! Maybe it's a bit premature.
Better than a Digidesign 96 i/o? What would be surprising about that? I'd be surprised if Apogee had ever released a product that didn't sound better than a 96 i/o. They couldn't stay in business if they tried to sell something like that.

JSL
Old 18th October 2007
Lives for gear

Will it be available in Japan anytime in the forseeable future?
Old 18th October 2007
Here for the gear

I just bought my Duet today, the day they were available here in LA. Apparently, all the GC's sold out on the same day in this area.

All I can say is that I'm loving it. I upgraded from an old mbox, and it's not even funny how much better everything sounds. I worked a bit on one of my current mixes, and the difference is night and day.

From what I was told the clock in the Duet is comparable to Apogee's other high end items. The bounce sounds tighter and with more space between the instruments. It sounds professional.

I'm very happy with it and the integration with my Mac is seamless. I recently switched from PTLE and for what I do, my new set up is perfect.

Btw, one cool thing I noticed is that the Duet plays sounds from iTunes, Safari etc without needing to have Maestro opened (unlike my mbox which needs Digi CoreAudio Manager running). So I would even recommend this to audiophiles who want a great sound experience from their Mac with little hassle.
Old 18th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTPH View Post
Got mine today and so farthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Sounds great but the UI must have been designed by Apple because it integrates perfectly with my MBP. The Duet hardware feels like it's just a volume knob for the built in sound. No wonder it's Mac only 'cause you could never get this level of integration with Windows and its varied hardware.
Duet was designed and engineered by Apogee. This includes the UI.
Old 18th October 2007
Gear Addict

Alto Music has the Duet in stock

I have just purchased one from Alto Music.
They are a great dealer. Please be aware that the price will always be $495 (There never will be a street price on the Duet as Apogee are very strict with their dealers on this product)

email Thomas
[email protected]
Old 19th October 2007
Gear Head

Carrying case?

I got mine today. Tested it with an AEA R84 with my trumpet. I'll try it out tomorrow with my high school wind ensemble. Can't promise that I'll post anything since it's football season and my band sounds like a pep band (too much blasting outside in the cold will do that to you. Finesse is not our strong suit at the moment.)

I noticed a carrying case in the promotional photos on the apogee site but I can't seem to find mention of it anywhere. It doesn't come with a carrying case (mine didn't anyway).
Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubycakes View Post
I got mine today. Tested it with an AEA R84 with my trumpet...
And?

How was it?
Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubycakes View Post
I'll try it out tomorrow with my high school wind ensemble... and my band sounds like a pep band.
Are you in the band or teaching the band? My goodness...if you're in the band...do all school kids have Duets and AEA R84's these days.

I had a Tascam four track cassette and a 58. Ghetto!
Funny!
Old 19th October 2007
Gear Nut

paid 535 after tax from gcpro and got it today. Works great in ableton live. Can't get it working in Logic 8. Every time i try to set it as the input in Logic , logic crashes. Anyone having these problems?
Old 19th October 2007
Gear Addict

no problems with duet and L8 on my imac.
very elegant interface, btw
Old 19th October 2007
Gear Head

Ha! I'm the teacher. I'm trying to put together a way to record my groups for rehearsal and also as an archive of performances. I plan on having a stereo pair or maybe an R88. I was able to borrow an R84 for a few days to check it out.

I can't answer the question as to what I think yet because I don't know. I have no basis for comparison. I'm a newb. I need to experiment with this stuff, my room, my ensemble, etc. to see if I'm really happy with it. I bought the duet because of the price and it does what I want (stereo plus high gain for ribbons).

If I'm happy with the recording tomorrow or Monday I'll post something but don't hold your breath--we're not ready for public consumption yet.
Old 19th October 2007
Gear Nut

I got it working. Like the sound and interface alot. Question is, is there a way to use this in conjuction with my pro tools setup? I really should be spending alot of my time in pro tools to keep my editing sharp.
Old 19th October 2007
Gear Addict

First thoughts on the Duet

This is my second Apogee product--my first was an AD8000SE for PT MIX on a G4 MDD dual 1.25GHZ FW800

Im comparing with an MBOX mini for now
The Duet installed with no issues on OSX10.4.10 iMac 24" 2.16Ghz Core Due 2.
Im testing with very small Genelec 8030 monitors and Logic 7.2

The build quality was better than I expected --its solid metal (not white ipod plastic)
I really like the metering on playback on the Duet (The AD8000SE had input metering only)

one thing I did notice is the Duet stays powered on after shuting down imac which tells me FW400 must still be supplying power.
Also the Duet runs slightly warm --so heres hoping the mainboard wont fail after some years.

As far as sound quality goes Im fairly new to Logic so I cant make a direct A/B with existing pt sessions --the Duet playback sounded smooth on the top end compared to MBOX mini over my Logic sessions and I think it sound nice like the AD8000SE did over the same small Genelecs

Dave
Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear

I got mine today and am pretty impressed with the sound.
I connected it to the firewire hub on my Konnekt 24D and could use both interfaces at once by creating an aggregate device. heh
I'm a bit busy at the moment, but I'm gonna compare it against my mini me next week.
I'm happy that the driver seems stable.
Old 19th October 2007
tdr
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUGA View Post
I connected it to the firewire hub on my Konnekt 24D and could use both interfaces at once by creating an aggregate device. heh
Hey Yuga, can you compare the Konnekt and Duet? I have a Konnekt 8 and I am wondering how much of an upgrade the Duet would be?
Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr View Post
Hey Yuga, can you compare the Konnekt and Duet? I have a Konnekt 8 and I am wondering how much of an upgrade the Duet would be?
I think the Duet sounds thicker. The Duet has some more mid range oomph and tighter bass. But honestly it is not a huge upgrade as far as digital to analog conversion is concerned. The Konnekt's DAC is very good.

I haven't recorded anything using the Duet yet. But I've compared the pres and the AD converters on the Konnekt with the Apogee Mini Me, and it's quite a different story. The mini me is noticeably better (so I didn't sell it!) and the Duet is supposed to be a step up from the mini me according to Max.

I'll see how the pre and the AD converter on the Duet sounds next week, but at the moment I don't have time to do it. But I expect there is quite a bit of difference in terms of the quality of the pres and the AD converters.
Old 19th October 2007
tdr
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUGA View Post
I think the Duet sounds thicker. The Duet has some more mid range oomph and tighter bass. But honestly it is not a huge upgrade as far as digital to analog conversion is concerned. The Konnekt's DAC is very good.

I haven't recorded anything using the Duet yet. But I've compared the pres and the AD converters on the Konnekt with the Apogee Mini Me, and it's quite a different story. The mini me is noticeably better (so I didn't sell it!) and the Duet is supposed to be a step up from the mini me according to Max.

I'll see how the pre and the AD converter on the Duet sounds next week, but at the moment I don't have time to do it. But I expect there is quite a bit of difference in terms of the quality of the pres and the AD converters.
Thanks a lot Yuga! I would be very interested to hear some more of your thoughts when you have done some recording, so please post again. Looks like I will get a Duet sooner or later, though ...
Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear

Mine is supposed to arrive today, so this weekend I'll put it through the paces. I'll be comparing it to an MBox 2, which according to what I hear, the Duet will make the MBox2 sound like a toy. I guess that's not too much of a stretch though, huh? heh
Old 19th October 2007
Gear Nut

How are the duet's holding up so far for everybody? Just got word today that some should be making there way into Canada next week and I have one put aside with my name on it
Old 19th October 2007
All the off topic gripes are here now...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/moan-...ng-thread.html

Back to the audio

Stay on topic please!

Jules
GS admin

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search