The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac Audio Interfaces
Old 12th October 2007
Gear Head

Guys, I hope you`re right...
Old 12th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocalvoodoo View Post
People on another forum were speculating that it was a watered down Apogee unit made in China.
Not a chance. Duet is a real Apogee product, made in the U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatz42 View Post
No, it sounds quite the opposite--the DAC gets full resolution, and then a digitally-controlled VCA attenuates the output (in the analog domain.)

At least that's the way I read it...
Correct.
Old 12th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Two Duets Simultaneously

Max,
The Duet looks amazing - and if it sounds even better than Mini-Me, everyone is in for a real sonic treat. Can you use two Duets at once in Garageband? I can't seem to find the answer to that anywhere.
Thanks so much,
Peter
Old 12th October 2007
Gear Head

Thanks for clearing this up Max!
Old 12th October 2007
Here for the gear

Hi guys,

I've had my Duet for a week now, done some quick comparisons to my 003R and a RME Fireface 400 with my Guild D55 acoustic miked with a Rode NT2A all recorded into Logic 8. I have played the files to 5 people all in the music business in a blind test and they all chose the Duet. The mic pre's are very good with heaps of headroom and the sound IMHO is real pro quality, a real leap up from the 003R and a couple of steps on the FF400.
I have been in PTLE land since the 001 was released and have tried all the Digi LE interfaces. Logic 8 has totally changed that for me and with the Duet it is the perfect home studio. I recently added a pair of Adam A7 monitors, which are unbeleivable! actually all my studio has changed this week. Oh well, better go and resign my DUC membership now.

Regards,

Tim W
Old 12th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Hi guys,

I've had my Duet for a week now, done some quick comparisons to my 003R and a RME Fireface 400 with my Guild D55 acoustic miked with a Rode NT2A all recorded into Logic 8. I have played the files to 5 people all in the music business in a blind test and they all chose the Duet. The mic pre's are very good with heaps of headroom and the sound IMHO is real pro quality, a real leap up from the 003R and a couple of steps on the FF400.
I have been in PTLE land since the 001 was released and have tried all the Digi LE interfaces. Logic 8 has totally changed that for me and with the Duet it is the perfect home studio. I recently added a pair of Adam A7 monitors, which are unbeleivable! actually all my studio has changed this week. Oh well, better go and resign my DUC membership now.

Regards,

Tim W
We are in the same boat. I've on using PT since before I got my Digi 001, and am in the process of switching to Mac/Logic/Apogee. Actually, Logic just arrived today. Still waiting on the Mac and Duet.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one making the jump. thumbsup

Also, thanks for clearing up the 'Made in US' question, Max.
Old 13th October 2007
Gear Addict

I just ordered a Duet online, they said they just shipped their pre-ordered stock and will receive more on the 24th.

I hope I made the right move, it takes alot for me to buy in this early.

Thank you to those who have posted reviews already, keep em coming......
Old 13th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalnyc View Post
Max,
The Duet looks amazing - and if it sounds even better than Mini-Me, everyone is in for a real sonic treat. Can you use two Duets at once in Garageband? I can't seem to find the answer to that anywhere.
Thanks so much,
Peter
One Duet at a time.
Old 13th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
One Duet at a time.
NO BARBERSHOP!!!
Old 13th October 2007
tdr
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi guys,

Would you mind posting those files? I think me and many others would be very interested to hear them!
Old 13th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
One Duet at a time.

So the Duet doesn't support OSX's aggregate device function?
Old 13th October 2007
Gear Nut

I'm a PC guy.

would the duet work well with an apple powermac g5 dual 2.7ghz 2gb 250gb?

can i use a regular monitor or it has to be apple.

i was gonna make a seperate thread but decided to ask here.
Old 13th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth123123 View Post
I'm a PC guy.

would the duet work well with an apple powermac g5 dual 2.7ghz 2gb 250gb?

can i use a regular monitor or it has to be apple.

i was gonna make a seperate thread but decided to ask here.
Fine and fine!!!

No Apple monitor needed. Buy a Dell if you want a PC element.
Old 13th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodidactic View Post
So the Duet doesn't support OSX's aggregate device function?
Yes it does. It is clearly stated on the Apogee website and also confirmed by Max in this thread...but I have no idea what`s the reason for not having the option to aggregate a second Duet...
Old 13th October 2007
Gear Maniac

maybe I missed this early, and I think i read it in this forum once, but can't remember...

the duet will play nicely with my ensemble right?
Old 13th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanh View Post
maybe I missed this early, and I think i read it in this forum once, but can't remember...

the duet will play nicely with my ensemble right?
Yes, it will. Read the third post by Max in this thread....
Old 13th October 2007
Gear Nut

Any word yet on what the latency is like?
Old 14th October 2007
Here for the gear

Hi tdr,

I have no idea how to post files, I'll try and find out.

Matt Fudge,
I have my buffer set at 64 samples, Playing my G&L Asat Classic direct in thru Guitar Amp and a chorus plug in Logic 8, cant feel any latency. The sound after years of PTLE is fantastic. Hope to record some vocals this week, I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards,

Tim
Old 14th October 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi tdr,
Matt Fudge,
I have my buffer set at 64 samples, Playing my G&L Asat Classic direct in thru Guitar Amp and a chorus plug in Logic 8, cant feel any latency. The sound after years of PTLE is fantastic. Hope to record some vocals this week, I'll let you know how it goes.

Tim
That's great to hear! Thanks for the info Tim.
Old 14th October 2007
Gear Addict

Mini Me discontinued, what's next?

So what's the replacement for the Mini Me gonna be? Or is Apogee going all Apple?
Old 15th October 2007
Quote:
From GUAL:
1. This link News shows, that you have " instrument amplifier " as an output option. does that mean you can use Duet as an re-amp device ? Converting line output to Hi-Z / low level?
http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=9246

Please, max, an answer for this question!
Old 16th October 2007
Gear Head

Ok, so I finally bought the Duet and I must say: I`m impressed! I recorded some vocals and the sound is just crystal clear and beyond anything in this price range! It`s hard to explicate how good it sounds, you`ve got to hear it yourself! I was worried about not having individual level controls for monitor- and headphone outs (which is certainly a minus), but in my case it turned out to be ok. I`m lucky that my monitors (switched to -10db) and headphones are level-wise in perfect relation to each other, so I don`t even have to lower the volume when swapping between the two outputs (the maestro software let`s you program that the monitors mute and the headphones unmute when pushing the knob and vice versa). The ins` and outs` level reacts excellent when turning the physical volume knob and it feels good too (stepped of course but very smooth). Latency is ultra-low when working with a buffer size of 64 and the drivers are excellent. You can literally see that Apogee is designed for Macs when you plug in the firewire cable. The soundcard is being recognized immediately, faster than any other product I know of. The unit is build like a tank, rock solid, but the holes where the LEDs sit in, have tiny little flaws, they`re not perfectly round. Most people won`t notice such things, but I always take a close look at the details. I also heard that the Ensemble has/had similar flaws, but I cannot confirm this. Anyway, this doesn`t keep you from buying the Duet.

I`ll give it a "9" out of 10!

I apologize for any weird phrases ... my English is ok for most conversations, but it`s harder to write a review, even if it`s such a short one...
Old 16th October 2007
Lives for gear

Good review...good English too!

Glad you're happy.

Well done Apogee.
Old 16th October 2007
Here for the gear

Leopard Compatibility

With the official announcement of Leopard's release on 26th October, it seems like a good time to ask about compatibility plans.

I notice the most up to date Maestro software will not install on Leopard.

Max, do you have any word on this?

Thanks
Old 16th October 2007
Here for the gear

Multiple Duets

Although currently only one duet at time is supported as mentioned by Max earlier in this thread, I notice that the read me file on the install disk hints that support for more than one may be on its way:

'The connection of multiple Duets is not fully supported as of September 2007'

The wording there looks quite promising don't you think?

Someone earlier mentioned they would like to buy a four channel system for $1000, and so it looks as if that might be a future possibility by simply buying two duets.

I'm not sure how it would work with Firewire cables though - perhaps a Firewire hub?

Last edited by bacchi; 16th October 2007 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: after-thought
Old 16th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchi View Post
Although currently only one duet at time is supported as mentioned by Max earlier in this thread, I notice that the read me file on the install disk hints that support for more than one may be on its way:

'The connection of multiple Duets is not fully supported as of September 2007'

The wording there looks quite promising don't you think?

Someone earlier mentioned they would like to buy a four channel system for $1000, and so it looks as if that might be a future possibility by simply buying two duets.

I'm not sure how it would work with Firewire cables though - perhaps a Firewire hub?
Yep. I think they want to have the option to release a Quadro or something like that. But if they don`t sell enough Duets they won`t do it and offer the possibility to hook up two or more (Duets). All we need is probably a software update. Just a thought...
Old 16th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Duets have arrived....

Duet anyone? In stock!
Old 16th October 2007
Gear Maniac

btw - been using the duet for recording and live performance - very stable at a buffer size of 128 on a macbook pro. Using it at 88.2 to cut latency in half and it works like a charm - like using it at 64 at 44.1.
Old 17th October 2007
Gear Addict

Just got my Duet and I'm psyched but my install does not seem to be going so smooth. I have a MBP 2.4ghz w/ gigs ram. So far, LP8 hung up on first start up and then after a restart, I go LP to start but then when I went into prefs to change to Duet driver, It hung up big time, meaning I couldn't even force quit. BTW, I have the Duet running through my Glyph drive as a hub. I'm going to restart again.
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKoss View Post
btw - been using the duet for recording and live performance - very stable at a buffer size of 128 on a macbook pro. Using it at 88.2 to cut latency in half and it works like a charm - like using it at 64 at 44.1.
Wait, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't duet come with their own zero (or near zero) latency monitoring software? If so, why would you be concerned with daw latency?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search