The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Makes it seem like it is only available from within Apple applications, no? How far in bed are they here?

Interesting.
Check the thread title heh
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Although i guess there are other non Apple applications that run on mac.. so you do have a point..

*erases self*
Old 3rd October 2007
To Realbugs:

Yes, cause clock is as important as converters for me.
So, Max are you here? What about the duet's clock?
Thanx for your answer
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifier View Post
Although i guess there are other non Apple applications that run on mac.. so you do have a point..

*erases self*
Exactly!
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsound View Post
Cool. Could I also use it in the spare FW400 plug in the Glyph? I'd rather do that than buy a FW hub.
Should work...
Old 3rd October 2007
So, what about the duet's clock?
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingtheSound View Post
Hi,

If you look at post #300 in this thread, I gave my opinion about the 'intelliclock' situation. I don't know for certain that it isn't in the Duet, but I am suspecting it isn't. The bit I quoted from the manual on Sample Rates is where I would have expected to find it mentioned. I suspect it isn't there because there are no digital ins and outs. They will probably say it is some new clock based on intelliclock.

I've since done a word search through the entire manual for 'intelliclock' and even just 'clock'...instances found of either...Zero! I don't think it is there. Just my opinion, though. We'll have to wait for Max to clarify.
All the best.
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingtheSound View Post
Comparable clock circuitry to Ensemble. We can't make a box that sounds this good without a good clock.
Old 3rd October 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
We can't make a box that sounds this good without a good clock.
This is what I've been assuming... It doesn't matter what name they put on it, if it sounds good, it sounds good! One question though. Can you reclock it using Audio/Midi Setup by aggregeating it to the Built-In audio in the mac and clocking the built in audio to external source by SPDIF and setting the new aggregeated devices clock source to the built in audio? (whew, hope that makes sense!)
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

So there you go...

Not a..."new clock based on intelliclock," but a, "Comparable clock circuitry to Ensemble."

Thanks Max. One other question. Does the Apogee Control Panel appear in all Core Audio applications, or just, "Apple's Logic Pro and GarageBand," as the manual suggests?

Thanks again!
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Thats a good question, Matt.

I'm going to guess that it will follow what the application you're using is reading...in your example...the S/PDIF of the Built-In Audio.

Just a guess...great question. Oh, Max? heh
Old 4th October 2007
Thanx for the answers! can't wait now!
Old 5th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Comparable clock circuitry to Ensemble. We can't make a box that sounds this good without a good clock.
Technically, apples are comparable to oranges, but they are clearly not the same thing. This statement seems intentionally vague - any elaboration?
Old 6th October 2007
pjo
Here for the gear

due date

just got an e-mail saying that sweetwater won't be getting a shipment of duets for another two and a half weeks.
Old 6th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjo View Post
just got an e-mail saying that sweetwater won't be getting a shipment of duets for another two and a half weeks.
Oh man, that sucks! I think I will reorder my Motu Ultralite since I cannot wait that long.

Could you please confirm this Max?
Old 6th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjo View Post
And I just received an email from Playback-Europe (a French online store) that mine has been shipped... See http://www.playback-europe.com/apogee-duet-18471.html Where they state they have the Duet in stock.

Why should a European store have a US product in stock earlier than a US store?

Cheers,
Vincent
Old 6th October 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vunz View Post
hmmm... that's a good question
Old 6th October 2007
Lives for gear

Could it be that there was a large amount of pre-orders and Sweetwater is waiting for a second shipment as the first has been shipped to customers already?

In any case, I haven't heard from Mercenary about mine being shipped yet, so I'm assuming the above is not that case. The suspense is killing me!

Quote:
And I just received an email from Playback-Europe (a French online store) that mine has been shipped... See Apogee Duet Playback 396 € Exc VAT Where they state they have the Duet in stock.

Cheers,
Vincent
Old 6th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
And I just received an email from Playback-Europe (a French online store) that mine has been shipped... See Apogee Duet Playback 396 € Exc VAT Where they state they have the Duet in stock.

Cheers,
Vincent
Thanks for the info. Please let us know when you got it! I would immediately buy it there...
Old 6th October 2007
Gear Head

I think the question of wheter or not an aggregated Macbook Pro device will have additional latency has not been answered yet. Does anybody know? I would say yes, correct?
Old 7th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnick View Post
Technically, apples are comparable to oranges, but they are clearly not the same thing. This statement seems intentionally vague - any elaboration?
Quality is the same.
Old 7th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egopanic View Post
I think the question of wheter or not an aggregated Macbook Pro device will have additional latency has not been answered yet. Does anybody know? I would say yes, correct?
not on my MBP C2D
Old 8th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTPH View Post
not on my MBP C2D
Cool, thanks for the info!
Old 8th October 2007
Here for the gear

Hi there

I have 2 questions about the Duet

1. This link News shows, that you have " instrument amplifier " as an output option. does that mean you can use Duet as an re-amp device ? Converting line output to Hi-Z / low level.

2. This link http://www.mhsecure.com/technotes/TechNote_0002.php shows, how to use a Mac only interface, in windows under parallels, on a intel Mac.
Is this possible, with the Duet ?

Im allready sold to this unit, but if the answers are yes - im ordering now :-)

@Max - Like so many others here, im hoping that you`ll make a interface - to bridge the gap between The Duet and the ensemble.

Cheers Torben
Old 8th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTPH View Post
not on my MBP C2D

What kind of latency are you getting on your Macbook?

milliseconds round-trip latency with sample rate, buffer size, and DAW program would be very helpful!

Thanks
Old 8th October 2007
Lives for gear

Any definitive word yet on the actual release?
Old 8th October 2007
Lives for gear

Max how are the mic pres ?

Seems like a lot of stuff jammed into a $500 price tag but it`s great that you pulled it off.
Old 8th October 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc View Post
Max how are the mic pres ?

Seems like a lot of stuff jammed into a $500 price tag but it`s great that you pulled it off.
Max told me that they are the same mic-pres that are in the Ensemble and they are quite good.
Old 8th October 2007
Gear Maniac
First... congrats to Apogee on what appears to be a very nice product. I'm not a Mac user though and don't see myself ever buying one. I remain puzzled at the lack of Win XP drivers. My understanding of the market is that at this price point, the Windows market is huge. Is Apogee simply not interested in the windows market? I mean the Apple/Windows wars are so.... yesterday.
Old 8th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
Max told me that they are the same mic-pres that are in the Ensemble and they are quite good.

Nice ! thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search