The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Duet, professional two-channel firewire audio interface for the Mac Audio Interfaces
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Head

Just remember it this way:

Switzerland: delicious chocolate

Sweden: Hot blonde women

(not that we haven`t got any hot females)
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egopanic View Post
@Max: lol, you`re not the only one in the US that thinks Sweden and Switzerland are the same countries. Last time a guy from Magma Support also confused it and when I attended my junior year in high school in the US I heard it at least once a day...

Anyway, like I said, I need it fast. It`s not about the money. I always support local dealers, but this time I`m in a hurry... I would really appreciate a store recommendation in the US... where do you guys buy it? Which stores receive the first deliveries?
Haha, of course I know! Afterall, our European sales office is in Cureglia, Switzerland! Still, I'm sure I will be making up for that faux pas with Gilberto (J&C) at some NYC bar during AES.

As for Duet, J&C has their order in and will be getting them at roughly the same time as everyone else. We will do our best to get them out as fast as possible.
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
So when's apogee going to come out with something inbetween the Ensemble and the Duet?
A juicy question

I'm ready to buy a duet but could be swayed for a quartet at the last minute..
Old 25th September 2007
the trio? 3 mic pres and 1.5 headphone feeds ?
Old 25th September 2007
Here for the gear

I am curious about aggregate mode with the built-in audio on a new iMac... What would that do to the latency?
I can imagine this future setup:

mic-->Duet-->iMac (Logic)-->built-in audio out--> headphones to performer. But i wonder if i may have latency problems...

This setup would allow me to have a separate headphone mix for the artist and use the duet outs for my pair of Genelecs. And clean out my rack and workspace heh
Old 25th September 2007
Here for the gear

Even better, if it works with no latency in aggregate mode, i could use the buit-in mic and headphones out from an iMac and loose the SPL Talkback controller...
Old 25th September 2007
Here for the gear

Headphone levels

Please excuse my ignorance, but...

Somebody said the output attenuation is digitally-controlled analog.
So, couldn't we have separate analog stages for line out and headphone out?
I mean there is a headphone amplifier, so why not have an attenuator in there?
That would give independent levels without another D/A, would it not?

I definitely want to get one either way, but I'm just wondering...
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeet View Post

yeah but the same signals anyway. doesn't work in a situation where you want to play clicks only for the headphone out etc. But you also can create an aggregate device with Mac's built-in stereo output. If it doesn't provide sufficient volume, you still can use a small mixer, headphone amp etc.
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Duh!!!! How terrible of me. Apologies all around. That's what I get for jumping in and out of GS too quickly. (I guess I owe Gilberto a few drinks at AES)

Thanks, Fredrik.
Thanks anyway Max, you just happened to answer my unasked question
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

From Apogee's Duet FAQ's:

Q: Why can't the headphone output be a different software output than the main output? I would love to use this in a live situation using Ableton Live or Native Instruments' Traktor. Even if I'm recording I need an output for the cue mix and one for the main out.
A: Never before has Apogee quality been delivered at such a low price point. It's important to understand that there is no product out there that will compare sonically to Duet, short of spending thousands more (i.e. Ensemble). To ensure the headphone output achieved the quality we sought, we had to have the same signal path to both the headphone output and main output. To include a separate D/A for the headphone out would have increased the cost significantly. That being said, one of the coolest features of Core Audio is the ability to aggregate multiple devices into a single device. This is possible with the built-in audio I/O of the Mac. So for cue mixes, aggregate Duet and the built-in output and you're good to go.
..................................................................................................................................
Q: Can I set the headphone and line outputs to different levels?
A: The headphone and line outputs are always controlled simultaneously. To set the balance between headphones and speakers connected to the line outputs, set the speaker’s amplifier accordingly. It is possible to mute the headphones and line outputs independently.
..................................................................................................................................
Don't know if its what you wanted to hear, but I hope it clears it up nonetheless.
Old 25th September 2007
i think the way to approach the headphone output on the Duet is that you either use the line output OR you use the headphone outputs. not ideal to try to use both. for $500, i'm happy to make this compromise.
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry Smeet...I just re-read your post. I thought you were asking something different there.

I agree with you. I don't know why there couldn't be independent level controls off one D/A. If you can mute them independently, why couldn't you control the level independently?

Max? Anyone know how this works on the ensemble?
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifier View Post
A juicy question

I'm ready to buy a duet but could be swayed for a quartet at the last minute..
Seems like the logical tweener product would be an 8 x 2 interface, no digital i/o except word clock and ADAT output (for stand-alone mode). They could call it Quartet if it had four preamps, but you could make a case for two or 8 preamps out of eight analog inputs.

That would be useful in many applications as a main interface, but it would also make a dynamite companion to the Ensemble. For that matter, it would make a dynamite companion to almost any other interface.

JSL
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

Will there eventually be a windows driver? I plan on going mac at some point but versatility/flexibility was never bad thing.
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

Don't count on it unless they divorce Apple.
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
Seems like the logical tweener product would be an 8 x 2 interface, no digital i/o except word clock and ADAT output (for stand-alone mode). They could call it Quartet if it had four preamps, but you could make a case for two or 8 preamps out of eight analog inputs.

That would be useful in many applications as a main interface, but it would also make a dynamite companion to the Ensemble. For that matter, it would make a dynamite companion to almost any other interface.

JSL
Something like the Fireface 400 but all Apogee was what I had in mind.
Old 26th September 2007
Here for the gear

How is the headphone amp on the Duet? Are there specs for it anywhere? Does the quality of it measure up to some of the hi-fi "portable" dedicated headphone amps that are on the market (Meier Audio, Headamp, Ray Samuels Audio....)? does it have enough juice to drive demanding headphones like AKG k701's or Sennheiser HD-650's?

Is there any SPDIF conversion involved before the DAC section or does the signal go from firewire direct to I2S-DAC?
Also what type of upsampling chip is in it?
Old 26th September 2007
Gear Addict

So I ordered a Duet for my MBP and Logic 8. I use a Gylph key drive which is FW 400 only. Could I chain the Duet to the Glyph chassis or would a 400 to 800 adapter work? I know firewire hubs have already been mentioned but can't problems occur with hubs and audio?
Old 26th September 2007
Gear Maniac

is this thing ever coming out?
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

Heard that. I preordered one, so I'm chomping at the bit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanGamet View Post
is this thing ever coming out?
Old 27th September 2007
Gear Maniac

i bought it earlier in the month assuming it was already out (at least thats what the stores were saying)
i called the store where i ordered mine and they are now saying that it was originally supposed to ship out end of month but is looking like late october.

whats the deal?
Old 28th September 2007
Gear Head

Between October 5th-10th is what I heard. Please correct if I`m wrong...
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsound View Post
So I ordered a Duet for my MBP and Logic 8. I use a Gylph key drive which is FW 400 only. Could I chain the Duet to the Glyph chassis or would a 400 to 800 adapter work? I know firewire hubs have already been mentioned but can't problems occur with hubs and audio?
Given that there's only one FW bus in your machine, you should be able to either chain it to the Glyph or use a 9 pin to 6 pin FW cable. Or a hub.
Old 30th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatz42 View Post
Given that there's only one FW bus in your machine, you should be able to either chain it to the Glyph or use a 9 pin to 6 pin FW cable. Or a hub.
Oh good, so it its possible to chain it through the Glyph? I could also use a hub but I know, at least with Digi's stuff that you can't do that.
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

From Apogee's Duet FAQ's(again):

Q: Will Duet work with a FireWire hub?
A: Yes

Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsound View Post
at least with Digi's stuff that you can't do that.
Sounds broken, big surprise. Conforming firewire gear should have no issues with hubs.
Old 2nd October 2007
Gear Head

Anyone have latency figures yet for the Duet
on a Macbook Pro?

I'd be very interested in: DAW software, sample rate, buffer size, and actual latency in milliseconds..
Old 2nd October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
From Apogee's Duet FAQ's(again):

Q: Will Duet work with a FireWire hub?
A: Yes

Cool. Could I also use it in the spare FW400 plug in the Glyph? I'd rather do that than buy a FW hub.
Old 3rd October 2007
Does the duet have the "Intelliclock" of the ensemble or not?
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingtheSound View Post
Does the duet have the "Intelliclock" of the ensemble or not?
Assuming not. There is no mention of it anywhere in the manual. If it did include it, I would say they would make us obviously aware that it did. From the manual...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Setting Sample Rate
Duet operates at all standard sample rates between 44k1 and 96k. The sample rate is, in most cases, determined by settings in the audio application with which Duet is communicating. For example, when using Duet with GarageBand, Duet’s sample rate is automatically set to 44k1, to match the GarageBand song’s sample rate. For those audio applications that don’t include a sample rate setting, such as iTunes, Duet’s sample rate may be set in Audio Midi Setup.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, it doesn't say it does not have it, but...?

Found this interesting too...
Apogee Control Panel
The Apogee Control Panel, found in Apple’s Logic Pro and GarageBand software, provides control of Duet settings and store/recall of configurations.
Makes it seem like it is only available from within Apple applications, no? How far in bed are they here?

Interesting.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search