The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1176 plug-ins - Bombfacory or Purple ?? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

1176 plug-ins - Bombfacory or Purple ??

Has anyone tested both ??

I use the BF 1176 all the time on Vocals but I've heard people dis that plug pretty bad so I'm wondering :

If I WANNA use an 1176 plug - is the Purple much better ??

I'm not interested in UAD cards , etc...
Old 6th September 2007
neither are great, but I reach for the MC77 more often than the BF76.

I do particularly like the all-buttons-in mode on each, it's probably the only thing I actually use with them on a quasi-regular basis, but that's just me.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
neither are great, but I reach for the MC77 more often than the BF76.
So, if you need an aggressive plug to really HOLD the vocal in place in a dense mix what do YOU use ??
Old 6th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by danocaster View Post
So, if you need an aggressive plug to really HOLD the vocal in place in a dense mix what do YOU use ??
For that, generally the Waves SSL strip. If that doesn't fit for some reason (occassionally), I'll give Massey CT4 or Roger Nichols Dynam-izer a try (the latter being cool but you have to change your thinking to use).
Old 7th September 2007
jho
Lives for gear

Try the massey (free unlimited trial) or if you already have it I actually like the BF LA3A a lot. And I have 100+ plugs and racks of compressors to choose from. I prefer an LA2A or NY-2A or ADL1000 for outboard but for plugs the BF LA3A works really well actually. At least in my mixes.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

I believe the BF 1176 gets alot of stick because a "free" plugin cannot possibly sound good...
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt82aust View Post
I believe the BF 1176 gets alot of stick because a "free" plugin cannot possibly sound good...
BF76 wasn't always free , having said that it get's 'flack' because there are much better options today , BF76 was good for it's day .
Old 7th September 2007
LAU
Gear Maniac

The BF 1176 and a lot of other compressor plug-ins can be appealing, until the moment you insert a real 1176.......

The difference gets even more dramatic at more extreme settings (just the place i like to be in when using a 1176 or similar piece)

Plug-in compressors tend to reveal their real identity at extreme settings, stepped stages, crumbly sound...etc etc
thats when hardware flourishes, and thats in most cases what you're looking for.....

Lately there seems to be some improvement, but it seems to me that adventurously creamy sexy compression within the digital domain has got a long way to go....

maybe some sort of hybrid technology would be better;

something like this:

DAKING AUDIO

i could also imagine a box of multiple compressors with no controls but digital, you boy the box, connect them to your interface and control it from a plug-in gui....

a mix setting should be standar for parallel compression purposes.....

i think we will get to see more and more of this hybrid technology in the coming years.......

We need to realize that the way sound is treated in the digital domain is very different from treatment in the analog domain.....

What happens to sound when it travels through a analog circuit is very different then a digital algorithm being applied to a stream of numbers...

I am not saying one is better then the other, i am just saying they are different....

but if you have a certain goal to achieve, you best take the right tools to achieve that goal......

to conclude this post i would like to place the following link:

Create Digital Music » MP3 Music: No Longer Connected to Your Brain?

think about it.
Old 7th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAU View Post
The BF 1176 and a lot of other compressor plug-ins can be appealing, until the moment you insert a real 1176.......

I am not saying one is better then the other, i am just saying they are different....
In a TapeOp review of the uad-1 in 2004 (I think 2004, need to search), 5 out of 5 pro engineers chose the uad-1 1176 compressor over the real hardware in a blind test.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have a real Purple, and the plugs don't have the same mojo. But .. the 1176 version in URS's new Channel Strip Pro is pretty impressive, haven't tried the UAD stuff.
Old 7th September 2007
LAU
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaki putih View Post
In a TapeOp review of the uad-1 in 2004 (I think 2004, need to search), 5 out of 5 pro engineers chose the uad-1 1176 compressor over the real hardware in a blind test.
What settings were used.....?

I have not yet closely compared the UAD 1176 to the real piece using extreme settings,
I did however do this with the real piece and the BF 1176, the difference was dramatic.

.....also not every 1176 is the same....

it has been said that the purple audio one comes close to the vintage one....

Old 7th September 2007
LAU
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing81 View Post
the 1176 version in URS's new Channel Strip Pro is pretty impressive, haven't tried the UAD stuff.

I tried it, i liked at first, then i pushed it and my enthusiasm diminished.

Its not that plug-ins are useless, especially when one has spend time with real hardware one should be able to create a descend sound using plug-ins.
I sincerely wish there were plug-ins dynamic processors that were just as great sounding as their hardware counterparts, but at this point in time this is not the case at least not from my point of view....

I have high hopes for the future though, and will be very happy when the day comes that plug-in compressors will give me such great results as some hardware compressors do.

I kinda liked the TBK uber compressor by Sonalksis

Old 7th September 2007
I love URS 1970 comp on vocals.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Neither of those plugs are any good. The UAD version is another story all together. However, the real deal is a different league. I only have 1 real UA 1176 and use it on critical tracks. But I use my UAD 1176's on the others. I'm using Protools HD.

I don't like the compressor in the Waves SSL plugs, but do in the V and API series.

All of the Massey stuff is good, and cheap.....

Hope this helps.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Id like to give another one to the Roger Nichols Dymizer stuff for very agressive sound
it is tricky to set, but it works for that. FWIW
Cheers
B
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

The Purple Audio MC77 is approved by Andrew Roberts how made the original. I haven't used the either the plug-in or the hardware so I wouldn't know if it's a good emulation or not... But perhaps we should have faith in that the creator knows what he's talking about?
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Maniac

they're all useful and all different.
the uad one is smoother and more hi fi.
the BF one has more grab and grit. i still think it's a great plugin (but i did pay for it back in the day!)
i think the purple is more like the bf...but not sure yet...it worked pretty well at compressing the snot out of drum room mics....

don't know which is best at holding a vocal in place....but i suspect it depends on the song.
once again you gotta listen. if you cant hear it, then it doesnt matter
have fun,
rob
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

My test

I have a UA reissue 1176LN. I rented a Purple MC76 for a session. After I was finished with the mix, I decided to compare the hardware comps to their plugin counterparts. The purple plugin was so much closer to the real thing it wasn't even funny. Having said that, the hardware MC76 was much better to my ears than the plug. The Purple plug in was more dull. The MC76 had an edge to it that the plug didn't have. I reach for the Purple plug way more often than the BF76. Peace.

Jason
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

UAD 1176 rules i have never heard any plugin sounding as good for messin with drums BF is the worst sounding thing awfull...
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Slightly OT: I saw an interent auction recently where a single BF LA-2A plug-in was advertises as a 'rarity'. And it's true, you can't buy it anymore or at least not on its own.

So the vintage market has definitely reached plug-in software now.............what a brave new world!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search