The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help: Logic external Instrument Quest... Studio Headphones
Old 6th September 2007
  #1
Gear Nut
 

Help: Logic external Instrument Quest...

Please assit me setting up Logic pro to trigger my mpc as an external sound source.

I experimented a little by loading an external instument {plug -in} on to a Instrument track and I selected my mpc input. I can easily trigger the audio but i can not sequence any midi data into Logic. I am suspecting i have to do some tweaking in environment but i am not sure how.
My mpc is already hooked up into osx via my amt8.

Thanks for you help
Old 6th September 2007
  #2
So you want data from the MPC into Logic?

Connect a MIDI cable from the MIDI out on the MPC and into a port on the AMT-8.

Select a MIDI channel and record arm it in Logic. Set Logic to output MTC (I believe that's what the MPC accepts, or perhaps it's simply MMC), enable sync in Logic, and things should work.
Old 6th September 2007
  #3
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
So you want data from the MPC into Logic?

Connect a MIDI cable from the MIDI out on the MPC and into a port on the AMT-8.

Select a MIDI channel and record arm it in Logic. Set Logic to output MTC (I believe that's what the MPC accepts, or perhaps it's simply MMC), enable sync in Logic, and things should work.
Thanks for the response...

what i am looking to do is trigger my drums from the mpc just like you would trigger a sound module, not necessarily sync both machines.
Old 6th September 2007
  #4
Okay, so basically trigger drums from e.g. EXS24 sampler in Logic, using your pads on the MPC?

That should work without any need for touching the environment. Normally you would simply hook up the pad/keyboard with MIDI out to MIDI in on your AMT-8, and select a MIDI channel in Logic, record arm it, and off you go.

If that doesn't work, you should examine if there's a local off problem on your MPC, or if pads are somehow disabled from sending (look at what your AMT-8 displays when pushing the pads).
Old 7th September 2007
  #5
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Okay, so basically trigger drums from e.g. EXS24 sampler in Logic, using your pads on the MPC?

That should work without any need for touching the environment. Normally you would simply hook up the pad/keyboard with MIDI out to MIDI in on your AMT-8, and select a MIDI channel in Logic, record arm it, and off you go.

If that doesn't work, you should examine if there's a local off problem on your MPC, or if pads are somehow disabled from sending (look at what your AMT-8 displays when pushing the pads).
I'm sorry for not being clear...

I want to trigger the drums thats in the mpc

Sequence the midi files within logic pro

And bounce later
Old 7th September 2007
  #6
Heh heh okay here we go:

Open Windows>Environment and change to the MIDI instr. layer in the left parameter box. Choose New>Multi Instrument. In the parameter box select the MIDI out port on your AMT-8 connected to the MPC MIDI in port.

On the multi instrument click on all the channels from 1 - 16 if you're going to need them all. As you're going to use the External Instrument plug-in you won't be using multiple channels, so just make sure channel 1 is open.

Open the External Instrument plug-in on an audio instrument channel in the I/O field, Logic>Stereo>External Instrument. Set the MIDI destination for the port number where your MTC is connected, and set the audio input channel for the number on your sound card input where the MTC audio outputs are connected.

Now you're ready to go. You can record MIDI or just trigger as you like. Recorded MIDI will playback audio thru the plug-in. BTW you can (naturally) only bounce real time audio.
Old 7th September 2007
  #7
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Heh heh okay here we go:

Open Windows>Environment and change to the MIDI instr. layer in the left parameter box. Choose New>Multi Instrument. In the parameter box select the MIDI out port on your AMT-8 connected to the MPC MIDI in port.

On the multi instrument click on all the channels from 1 - 16 if you're going to need them all. As you're going to use the External Instrument plug-in you won't be using multiple channels, so just make sure channel 1 is open.

Open the External Instrument plug-in on an audio instrument channel in the I/O field, Logic>Stereo>External Instrument. Set the MIDI destination for the port number where your MTC is connected, and set the audio input channel for the number on your sound card input where the MTC audio outputs are connected.

Now you're ready to go. You can record MIDI or just trigger as you like. Recorded MIDI will playback audio thru the plug-in. BTW you can (naturally) only bounce real time audio.
I will try it out when i get home this evening...from the looks this might be it. thanks much
Old 8th September 2007
  #8
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Heh heh okay here we go:

Open Windows>Environment and change to the MIDI instr. layer in the left parameter box. Choose New>Multi Instrument. In the parameter box select the MIDI out port on your AMT-8 connected to the MPC MIDI in port.

On the multi instrument click on all the channels from 1 - 16 if you're going to need them all. As you're going to use the External Instrument plug-in you won't be using multiple channels, so just make sure channel 1 is open.

Open the External Instrument plug-in on an audio instrument channel in the I/O field, Logic>Stereo>External Instrument. Set the MIDI destination for the port number where your MTC is connected, and set the audio input channel for the number on your sound card input where the MTC audio outputs are connected.

Now you're ready to go. You can record MIDI or just trigger as you like. Recorded MIDI will playback audio thru the plug-in. BTW you can (naturally) only bounce real time audio.
Thanks again for the instructions...everything is fine except I can only trigger 1 channel {program} from the mpc on all 16 channels in Logic.

I tried setting up 3 midi channels in logic all set to the same port my mpc is hooked into. Everytime I switch tracks in the logicthe same mpc program triggers on all of Logic midi channel. I hope I am making sense. thanks
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
crazycarl / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
13
Charlie-O / Music Computers
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump