The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
alphatrack or faderport? Control Surfaces
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

alphatrack or faderport?

Hello there lads,

I started mixing a record today after recording for two months.

I'd forgotten what a pain writing automation rides with a mouse is.

Since my singer is very dynamic and the crushed balls tone via compression is not what I am after I may have to invest some more money into a control surface.

My two options are faderport and alphatrack. The alphatrack seems to have more bells and whistles with a screen etc but the faderport looks to have more longevity to it and looks more rugged + the fader looks better.

I need it to work really well with Pro Tools LE 7.3.1, as I want to integrate it straight away without spending hours setting up and getting used to it.

So, do any of you have either of these? Has anyone used both?

Pros and Cons and compatibility please!?
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm in exactly the same position. I just picked up a Faderport on ebay, and will eventually get an Alphatrack with the loser going back on the Bay.
Since I just got it last week, I can't give you any answers based on use in a project,
but I agree with your assessment of the two. Faderport seems to be built better, but Alphatrack has more functionality. One main drawback of the Faderport is that
it is basically a transport controller, and view changer. The Alphatrack will give you control of sends, EQ, and plugins with its knobs which the FP will not do. If this thread lasts a while longer, I'll post my reaction after I've done some mixing with it, and possibly after I have used an AT on similar projects. Oh and one more thing.
If price is an issue, the FP can be had for less than the AT.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Cheers Phil,

Would be great if you could update with your findings.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search