The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
wow..so i'm jealous Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

wow..so i'm jealous

So my bud just got Protools (an mbox mini) and i wanted to see how well his 2.16g macbook with 2 gigs of ram (not macbook pro) could take dverbs. i made 32 tracks, playback buffer at 2048 samples, and 90percent cpu limit.

i got 96 dverbs going with the cpu usage to about 75-80%.

I'm jealous

I need to upgrade.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but you need at least 135 instances of D-Verb to make a decent mix.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but you need at least 135 instances of D-Verb to make a decent mix.
I don't get it.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flail19 View Post
I don't get it.
This thread is totally none of my business...just passing through..but I think max cooper was being sarcastic...just a humorous poke at the ever-growing trend of getting uber-instances of your favorite plug/effect...well atleast, that's the way I took it.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

i put like 100 dverbs on an actual session when i built my PC, and let me tell you, 25 tracks with 5 dverb plugs on each one starts to sound pretty wierd.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
Ahhhh!!!!!! I thought it was somewhere between 135 & 140!!!!!!!!
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
Ahhhh!!!!!! I thought it was somewhere between 135 & 140!!!!!!!!
137 is the magic number for meheh
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I can't believe nobody commented on how a DVerb and reverb in general isn't all that useful. I have been using the Waves verbs for a while and never once thought I needed better.

Next time let me know how many Amplitube 2 instances running the "Edge" preset that computer can handle.

THAT is a REAL challenge.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

haha you guys crack me up

nah but seriously those machines are powerful, and i just figured using d-verb would be a could test for it, and i could compare it to my home machine....
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

i think mine can handle 3 or 4 of rverb total.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

The Beatles could make it happen with only 4 dverbs.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierce85 View Post
i put like 100 dverbs on an actual session when i built my PC, and let me tell you, 25 tracks with 5 dverb plugs on each one starts to sound pretty wierd.
I think having it on one track sounds weird!!!!!!hehhehheh
Old 6th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
I think having it on one track sounds weird!!!!!!hehhehheh
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Ah, the fresh sound of reverb in the morning. Some people just don't know what they're missing. I like slammin' my mix through at least 10 verbs on the mix bus. Nothing like heatin' your CPU like a nuclear reactor until it glows. I like it when your audio gets that distant, washy ringing sound... kinda like a phone ringing and a toilet flushing at the same time. It's fun seeing people turn their heads when they hear it, and you can tell by the look on their face they're thinking, "What's that sound?" I love that!

thumbsup

-SD
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

My computer can handle 25 Rverbs and 93 Dverbs. Unfortunately my ears can't handle even one instance of those plugins. So I have to use crappier reverbs like Eventide Reverb, Revibe, Sonnox Reverb, etc. Major bummer.
Old 6th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
I can't believe nobody commented on how a DVerb and reverb in general isn't all that useful.
they're great for stress-testing the CPU heh

yeah, i'm gonna have to get a new book - may as well wait for Leopard and GarageLogicTrack Pro as well.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Mine can do 190 dverbs. I sent Enya an email about it, but she hasn't responded. [fingers crossed]

Seriously though, my system is already several generations behind today's architectures.... any new quad-core is gonna kill those numbers on the cheap, relatively. It's a great time for native horsepower.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

What is a Dverb? delay?
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

it's the reverb that comes with pro tools. It is used as a somewhat universal measure of system performance.

when you use pro tools.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Thats really crazy. I think for mobile rig i'm going to go with the Macbook, and then build a PC for my mixing at home setup...
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
I can't believe nobody commented on how a DVerb and reverb in general isn't all that useful. I have been using the Waves verbs for a while and never once thought I needed better.

Next time let me know how many Amplitube 2 instances running the "Edge" preset that computer can handle.

THAT is a REAL challenge.
i don't think the waves verbs are very good for short and ambience verbs which is my preference at the moment. for other larger stuff they're ok. the sonnox reverb is very nice though
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

the Waves IR-1 is nice....the truverb and ren verb aren't that good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search